forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:22 am 

Hey guys...

A few people asked me to show the art that lead up to the figure...so here is a random assortment of paintings, illustrations and street pieces that lead up to the fertility goddess that is YOUR MOMMA!

Hope you guys dig it...

[img][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/TRIS313/I_Love_NewYork2.jpg[/img][/img]
Image[img][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/TRIS313/TE6.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/TRIS313/2.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/TRIS313/Momma4.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/TRIS313/CIMG2284.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/TRIS313/CIMG0352.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/TRIS313/WEB7.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/TRIS313/ROBOTGIRL.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/TRIS313/CLOUDS.jpg[/img][/img][img][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/TRIS313/20.jpg[/img][/img]

Last edited by BIG TRIS on Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:34 am 

This is purely a question: have you ever received any negative feedback or vibes on this character?

in this uber politically correct environment that we "thrive" in, i'd be curious to hear if all you've ever heard are positives or if you've gotten some negatives too, and how you feel about them.

i've been looking at the sculpt and i'm personally amazed with how perfectly it has translated from 2D to 3D, and the quality that is OBVIOUS from just the pictures! a lot of time and effort seems to have gone into this piece and it's a wonderful, and ever increasing rarity! Congrats on this Tris!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:41 am 

These images are awesome,

2D -3D is spot on

LAU SFCC GPS For Sale

vinylhammer wrote:
FYou wouldn't believe that 3A has it's own, entire forum would you. Plus all they ever say is, "has your blah blah TK turned up yet", "no, i've been waiting for 2 years".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:18 am 

Never had alot of negative response from this character...although I expect some from the stateside only. Europe and asia are way cooler and open minded about things like this.

I started using this character in response to classical paintings that would portray rich aristrocrats in lavish paintings...and I thought - why not paint someone in a lavish manner who DESERVES glorification? I respond deeply to the working class and low income families and wanted to put the single, hard working mother on a pedastal.

Over time, she ended up becoming an icon of mine that I enjoyed developing through different mediums...as well as being a mirror character for her Tribal sister in many narratives.

On top of that, I just love drawing the pregnant female form. There's is something beautiful about it's shape and meaning.

Any negative connotation would come purely from the viewer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:11 am 

Totally agree - 'bout time someone stood up for the voiceless in society. The working mothers I know, some of who are bringing up kids alone, are some of the most amazing and inspiring people i've met.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:29 am 

hey tris is the second to last picture a print?? if so where can i get one!!! that ones awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:13 am 

BIG TRIS wrote:
Never had alot of negative response from this character...although I expect some from the stateside only. Europe and asia are way cooler and open minded about things like this.

I started using this character in response to classical paintings that would portray rich aristrocrats in lavish paintings...and I thought - why not paint someone in a lavish manner who DESERVES glorification? I respond deeply to the working class and low income families and wanted to put the single, hard working mother on a pedastal.

Over time, she ended up becoming an icon of mine that I enjoyed developing through different mediums...as well as being a mirror character for her Tribal sister in many narratives.

On top of that, I just love drawing the pregnant female form. There's is something beautiful about it's shape and meaning.

Any negative connotation would come purely from the viewer...

I think this character is beautiful.
A woman having a baby is the most beautiful thing in this world, giving birth to a living thing. Me growing up in the South Bronx and seeing lots of single pregnant woman young and old trying to get by and raise there baby/babies on there own on low income or none, I can relate to this figure. I have mad love for Tris for keeping it real with his art and his fans. Who cares what people think. There will always be positive and negative response from people out there on anything you do, or you get some that just want to player hate. This figure is hot and all its glorification.:) Keep doing your thing my brother and don't give a Fu#K what anyone has to say, you are blowing it up Big Tris.
I love all your old and new art work Tris, they look hot and awesome, but you know that.:D
Can't wait to go to another of your release party my home boy, they are slamming.

Can't wait to get Yo Momma in my house.LOL hahahaha

Peace

DD

3A Legionnaire

http://3atoys.blogspot.com/
http://3atoys.hyperboards.com/index.php
viewtopic.php?p=1555297#1555297
Ashley Wood - NOM de PLUME
Ashley Wood - Desert Rat Bertie
Ashley Wood - Prints & Punk King Posters
EWOK 5MH's - Swagger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:55 am 

Tris - thank you for answering my question! I was concerned that it would be taken as inciting negativity when i was truly curious :)

I suppose my question stems not from the reverence of the single motherhood aspect (which i truly admire), but from the smoking/drinking-while-pregnant (ala Brintey Spears :)).

I'm wondering whether a negative reaction (perhaps even from single mothers) would come from those who, while they would appreciate being paid tribute to, may not appreciate the suggestion of harming their fetus with irresponsible behavior. If this is a tribute piece, has anyone questioned that aspect?

again, not being argumentative, looking for your take on that particular perspective of your art by fans or the people you are paying tribute to.

(disclaimer: not a mom, just curious). thanks Tris!

[ Added: Mon 03 Jul, 2006 ]
dragondavy1 wrote:
I think this character is beautiful.
A woman having a baby is the most beautiful thing in this world, giving birth to a living thing. Me growing up in the South Bronx and seeing lots of single pregnant woman young and old trying to get by and raise there baby/babies on there own on low income or none, I can relate to this figure. I have mad love for Tris for keeping it real with his art and his fans. Who cares what people think.

Agreed! i believe there is nothing more wonderful, sacrificial and human than what single mothers go through to raise their children. The are THE strongest people on this planet, in my opinion and i have the utmost respect!

My question stemmed, not from whether Tris cared about what someone like me (no kids, just a regular joe/chick) thought, but what perhaps a single mother thought of the image.

again, from what i've seen, INSANE quality and heart has gone into this sculpt - it's beautiful!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:10 am 

You know, I might be able to buy the "Wow, Tris is keepin' it real" arguments if there were some reasonably relevant points behind them, but all I see (and I realize I'm not one of those "enlightened" Europeans he speaks of) is a Stepin' Fetchit-esque caricature. I'm not the most PC guy around (far from it) but the amount of dancing around the issue this figure has engendered is just absurd. "Childbirth is lovely"? Wha? It's a cartoon of a woman with a cigarette and a weapon, who opens up to reveal a jet black "baby". I don't care how many times Mr. Eaton's painted this, in how many styles, this is just dodgy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:20 am 

urban vinyl is supposed to be a bit controversial. this is keeping it real. what is dodgy is all the cutesy crap that is saturating the market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:28 am 

Hmmmm.

The cigarette is just a symbol of stress and a 'removable' accessory (smoking Momma is purely optional).

Like I said above...the single mother BEGAN as a tribute and was then adopted as an icon for me to play with. Not every manifestation of her is necessarily a tribute. The service she provides as imagery fluctuates for me based on the work at hand.

In this case, I see this toy as an urban, modern day Venus / Fertility Statue somewhat like the Venus of Willendorf shown below...

[img][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/TRIS313/willendorf_venus.jpg[/img][/img]

Fertility statues have been found all over the world spanning 7,000 years...some interesting stuff about african fertility statues:

"One of the most essential elements of tribal survival is the ability for its female members to successfully conceive and bear strong healthy children. The male villagers and hierarchy must provide a stable enough environment for this to be accomplished. Despite best efforts African women have had to endure the rigor of child bearing and rearing while living under circumstances that most of us would consider incredible. Rightly so, African history, social morality and ceremonial practice dictates that the role of mother be looked upon with honor, respect, great pride and endless admiration. In tribute, one of the most prevalent reoccurring themes found in African art is that of motherhood."

[img][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/TRIS313/taweret.gif[/img][/img]
[img][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/TRIS313/bigmama.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/TRIS313/Agni.jpg[/img][/img]

As for the real Venus...

"Venus was a major Roman goddess principally associated with love and beauty, the rough equivalent of the Greek goddess Aphroditi.
Venus became a popular subject of painting and sculpture during the Renaissance period in Europe. As a "classical" figure for whom nudity was her natural state, it was socially acceptable to depict her unclothed. As the goddess of sexual healing, a degree of erotic beauty in her presentation was justified, which had an obvious appeal to many artists and their patrons. Over time, venus came to refer to any artistic depiction of a nude woman, even when there was no indication that the subject was the goddess."

All of this is fitting to my figures...Your Momma and Zulu Queen could be considered a satirical rendition of what would be today's fertility statues...ya know?

[img][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/TRIS313/ZULU1.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/TRIS313/moma-4.jpg[/img][/

Okay, I'm totally ranting now.

Bye.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:29 am 

bapeplay wrote:
urban vinyl is supposed to be a bit controversial. this is keeping it real. what is dodgy is all the cutesy crap that is saturating the market.

you make a decent point - although i don't know if it's "supposed" to be controversial or "can be" controversial or cute or whatever the artist wants it to be and the fans decide the value by speaking with their dollars.

i'm not arguing the popularity of this figure, it sounds like it's going to be HUGE - so no problem there for Tristan.

I just understood this to be a "tribute" piece and, if that's the case, am looking for Tristan's take on the aspects that don't necessarily glorify the beauty of single motherhood, but rather portray irresponsibiliy.

I don't want this thread to be moved guys, i think this is a legitimate conversation and hopefully we can all be open minded and discuss...

[ Added: Mon 03 Jul, 2006 ]
ah. okay Tris, well then i misunderstood - i took it as a tribute piece, not as an icon.

(and you're not ranting :D) thanks for your responses!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:36 am 

Wow!

This is such a civilized thread. Thanks for listening...I'm always happy to answer questions and talk about my work.

And for the record...I do know single moms that smoke and carry weapons! he he.

Big T.

Last edited by BIG TRIS on Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:39 am 

i don't stand in judgement, just simple curiosity - this piece has potential to be quite the catalyst for passionate views being expressed...er, passionately :D (which is what art is "supposed" to do!)

and hey, if i saw a pregnant chick with a weapon, i would get the HELL out of her way. Mommas handle their ish!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:42 am 

hey tris,

will there be another colorway of the SDCC momma or sculpt with same hair? i'd love to get one but can't make it to SDCC. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:43 am 

oh, and by the by, KJB: i appreciate anyone who will speak up for what they feel so honestly. It's a risky thing on these boards (as evidenced by my liberal peppering of disclaimers :D)

thanks for being a part of the discussion!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:48 am 

Yes...there is another colorway coming next...same accessories plus some.

Blue dress, yellow hair. WHITE skin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:58 am 

BIG TRIS wrote:
Wow!

This is such a civilized thread. Thanks for listening...I'm always happy to answer questions and talk about my work.

Big T.

Hahaha :lol:
And I know some moms that will bat someone down if they mess with there baby.;)

DD

[ Added: Mon 03 Jul, 2006 12:01 pm ]
BIG TRIS wrote:
Yes...there is another colorway coming next...same accessories plus some.

Blue dress, yellow hair. WHITE skin.

How about a Puerto Rican with a can of beans and a slipper so she can smack her kid when he is bad.???? hahahaha :D

DD

3A Legionnaire

EWOK 5MH's - Swagger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:21 pm 

BIG TRIS wrote:
Wow!

Big T.

I see a lot of reality in Tris work. Momma is a reflection of the reality of today. The politically correct corporate america Brady Bunch facade is a fabrication life style that we would like america to be. How ever reality is harsh at times. This is a true underground vinly at its best. A good keep'en it real piece!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:26 pm 
ive seen both colors and theyre both reallyhot.... cant wait to see zulu girl in color though..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:51 pm 
pretty cool pix!~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:53 pm 

There's been some mention on other sites about the race of this woman and how it (and Tris' bald white head) might convey some steretyped racial overtones with it's "blackfaced" woman created by a "neo-nazi" type male. I'm not going to make any judgements on this other than the fact that I'm pretty sure Tris is not Neo-Nazi but I would like to hear what you have to say about it. Is there any validity to this POV? Probably not but because one person sees it this way means that he/she might not be the only one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:06 pm 

This is what I said in response to that:

"This toy is in NOOO way meant to be racist. The majority of these toys actually have white skin tone, it's only the first 100pcs that have a darker tone. Plus I see her as being more of a latin, african, white mix as opposed to one race.

Almost all of the women depicted in my work are of a mixed race to the point of uncertainty. I like it that way.
I've also painted single mothers in my graffiti and fine art for over 10 years with the hopes of glorifying them and given them the credit they deserve.
Superheros and movie stars have action figures, why not single mothers? To me they deserve more respect and glorification than a corporate franchise.

Future editions of Your Momma wil have blue, orange and clear skin tones...there's even a glow in the dark edition.

And at the end of the day, it's just a toy so let's not take it too seriously!

If you guys have any questions I'd be happy to answer them for you...

Thanks,

BIG TRIS"

For real, there's no need to be dissing my hairstyle. Jeez.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:16 pm 

All I gotta say is the Your Momma and Zulu Queen figures are my favorite right now. I love the style and the subject matter. BROOKLYN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:22 pm 

^+1

I love both Yo Momma & Zulu Queen and these are my top figures to come. [-o< :prayer: :partyman:

BRONX Love. 8)

Can't for get the Thundermutt.

3A Legionnaire

EWOK 5MH's - Swagger