forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:23 pm 

I must admit I'm new to this, but here are some shots of me deconstructing some dunnys to turn into customs. I'm a very visual person myself, and I'm sure other newbies are too, so at my last .. custom prepping massacre ... I took some pics to help others new to the customization world see how I do it.

Time to get Fried
First I heat them up with a hair dryer to make them nice and soft, makes it easier to pop them little heads off!

Momma had a baby and its head popped off
warm soft vinyl + small flat-head screwdriver

POP!

Heads above the rest

Headless army

Killzone

Choosing a victim

Supplies
Now little Tado is gonna help me show you how to strip the paint off.
Supplies: Acetone, a glass container (shot glass) to pour the acetone in while using it. (plastic cups get melty, metal cup would work too) Cotton pads, and I put it all on tin foil so it's easier to just wad up and throw away and it doesn't eat my plastic tray. (Be careful with the acetone, not only does it strip paint offa dunnys but off of your nice furniture too!, also make sure to open up a window, it does smell a bit and can make you lightheaded) (Acetone is found in most nail polish removers, can be bought in art stores/hardware stores, or sometimes in the home and beauty department of your local general store with the nail polish removers)

Oh Noes!
Dip, squeeze out excess and wipe

Getting there
Tip. use a clean cotton pad as often as you can.. reusing the dirty ones will just smear the paint around. (This is after just one swipe of the acetone cotton pad)

Faceless

Almost done

from Tado.. to Tada!
And now we have a nice clean dunny ready to prime, paint and bend to your will!

Hard part is putting them back together hehe, Use the hair dryer again to soften the vinyl back up to reassemble.. It might be easier to put it back together before you customize it if you are afraid of ruining it, because it does require a bit of force..

Well that's it, hope you enjoyed and found this somewhat informative :D

PET1 wrote:
However after heating you can get the heads off with careful twisting.

wastemoremoney wrote:
i always cut the nub on the head of the body into three pieces and cut one piece off so that it fits into the head much easier. :rock:

iszcross wrote:
Do not just soak the Dunny in Acetone expecting the paint to crawl off. I did that last weekend........(about an hour) LOL. The Dunny blew up 30% bigger than when I dropped him in the Acetone and the chemical reaction turned him into a VERY soft rubber. The paint faded but was essentially tattoo'ed on after that. Trial by fire!!!!!

uhmski wrote:
side note terpentine or paint thinner does not work in stripping dunnys!

and I used an exacto knife to widen the arm holes when putting them back on. That works real easy!

digitalmunky wrote:
Instead of using a cotton swab/pad, as they're likely to leave little bits of cotton everywhere, use plain white paper towels (you want to remove paint, not add more... yet

edit on this from Anvikit, I still prefer cotton balls, I don't have the problem of cotton bits everywhere, but I do have the problem of the acetone evaporating too quickly on a paper towel so that it's not nearly as effective as it is on the cotton.)...

As for when you PRIMER.... The best bet is wait for a minimum of 24 hours (2-3 days would be better, depending on if it's warm/humid) to allow any ACETONE to evaporate from the PVC (vinyl) figure... Why? Because vinyl is somewhat porous and may absorb some of that ACETONE, later causing problems such as sticky paint/primer essentially RUINING your hard work. This is no guarantee, as sometimes the problem lies with the PVC formulation leeching plasticizers, but always DO WHAT YOU CAN to limit potential hurdles...

*Note... The main color of the body and head is colored vinyl, and will not come off. The arms are, however, made of a different plastic and are white at their base, and painted to match the rest of the Dunny. (see the "Killzone" picture above) The two red arms have the paint partially removed.

Also, when putting the arms back in the holes, I've found and seen that using an exacto and trimming down the arm nubs works wonders!

*Been gone too long, been a tough year, I owe some people, I haven't forgotten you!

Last edited by Anvikit on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:15 am, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:29 pm 

Great little step by step, lets see the finished Custom!!!

PM me with any Vinyl Toy news

HelloVinyl Blog

Twitter

Zhurrie wrote:
The variant actually comes to your house and steals one of your other toys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:30 pm 

nice guide \:D/

and +1 on seeing the finish custom :)

smooth transactions w/: zonnie5 , hopelessj, thecanabiskilla, base x2, restaurador, camdenoir, heebysdaman, groovitude, epikGNAR, H20Bear

selling :1x HiCalorie x Julie West $25 , 2006 Joga Bonito Bearbricks set (taking offers), Endangered Dunnys $9 each not including shipping, SDCC ToyTokyo Tokidoki Geisha signed $80 obo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:31 pm 

markwmohr wrote:
Great little step by step, lets see the finished Custom!!!

*pats* soon .. soon...

It's gonna be a set of them, so I gotta get them all done first ;) but don't you worry I'll post them once I've got them all spiffified :D

*Been gone too long, been a tough year, I owe some people, I haven't forgotten you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:04 am 

Great little walkthrough there. I wish more people did this so everyone could learn and improve.

However after heating you can get the heads off with careful twisting. I would be concerned that the screwdriver would leave pry marks somewhere on the exterior surface.

trustinSTARS/nvs/brandunny/tvdang/dubwars/Foxracing808/SQUEE/akn220/NSTNATE/
colamaniac/arc/touj03/Dab City 2/malac_cj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:11 am 

PET1 wrote:
Great little walkthrough there. I wish more people did this so everyone could learn and improve.

However after heating you can get the heads off with careful twisting. I would be concerned that the screwdriver would leave pry marks somewhere on the exterior surface.

Thanks for the tip, I was having a hard time with the twisting and pulling, ( ish weak) so i used a little leverage via the skrew driver.. They didn't leave any pry marks for me, but that's a good tip to use :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:22 am 

=D>

great series of pics, thumbs up for sharing knowledge … I agree there could be more like this!

A.D.B, adik.na.chinoy, anna, apeboy, Arcady, ArdabusRubber, bammoman, BFLV, Buellster, chronic, conseptic, copernicus, ClarkR, Dan-knee rock, DrftDrgn21, drunknmaster916, dubwars, dunnydave, ejholmes30, eyeforaneye, g force, Haden, happysusan2001, iliksprite, Jackcuzzy, jose2187, Kevbayer, kiwi888, K!P, linh, lowkey, lowkornmel, luckyscrm, lui, mattp, mr.sqwert, mynameisking, nerps, noeleaser, nyst, patriciooliver, pjo666, RaignBeau, razuuu-one, restaurador, riot68, robot of kids, Series2014, Slack, spunla, stepdown, stilspinin, temooi, thor6e, timselF, trustinSTARS, TungTLe, unstructure, viniloeater, Vinyl fan, Whitts, xXDunnyXx, zephyr, zonrboy, ZopBoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:22 am 

woohoo! ritual sacrifice! \:D/
im a butcher myself. :axe:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:26 am 

i always cut the nub on the head of the body into three pieces and cut one piece off so that it fits into the head much easier. :rock:

Doodle Dunnys

Good/Bad Sellers/Buyers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:55 am 

I appreciate the walkthrough. Here's a quick list of things not to do:

Do not just soak the Dunny in Acetone expecting the paint to crawl off. I did that last weekend........(about an hour) LOL. The Dunny blew up 30% bigger than when I dropped him in the Acetone and the chemical reaction turned him into a VERY soft rubber. The paint faded but was essentially tattoo'ed on after that. Trial by fire!!!!!

Second Dunny.....decided to use 280 grit on him......while he's ready to go......ummmmmmm........it took a LONG time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:15 am 

iszcross wrote:

Second Dunny.....decided to use 280 grit on him......while he's ready to go......ummmmmmm........it took a LONG time!

maybe you can make some 8''er if you wait longer 8-[

lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:22 am 

Image [/b][/i][/u][/quote][/list]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:51 am 

timselF wrote:
iszcross wrote:

maybe you can make some 8''er if you wait longer 8-[

lol

The rubber was soft enough to possibly make a Dunny condom. A Magnum Dunny anyone? 8-[

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:33 am 

iszcross wrote:

one time, i wanted to strip a lot of dunnys at once, so i did this the exact same thing using some kind of solvent, and let them soaked inside a bucket overnight. they didn't get bigger, but they got as soft as a rubber duck!
so, better not do it! :)

redmutuca.com

huck gee wrote:
Great stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:56 pm 

thank you very much, visuals help so muchhhhh, i've tried reading all the tutorials but this helped 10000% more, thank youuuuuuu

Other Good Transactions: Squidnik, Timself, Droppixel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:01 pm 

:heart: the step by step...haha and the from "tado to tada" \:D/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:31 pm 

hey, that was really cool!

these boards have great information on customizing, but that was the first time i saw step-by-step photos. i would like to see more step by step of the painting process.

wants: french series dunny koralie, Tara McPherson dunnies, Queen Andrea dunnies, Headphonies - Eran's Pink Bear, Tokidoki Cactus Friends: Sandy, tokidoki tokyoplastic sdcc exclusive, CAMILLE ROSE figures, vinyls that are cute, spacy or just rad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:42 pm 

Haha, hilarious and informative. Thanks for posting that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:57 pm 

Seeing those blank dunny heads makes me think a fart joke's coming on.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:02 pm 

Am I the only one who CHEERED when the re-TArDO-s head came off?

Don't get me wrong, I love the other Tado designs, but this one makes me think that there's a little yellow animal with downs syndrome and a party hat pushing his suitcase around town while everyone laughs at him because his face is on backwards and his eyes are too close together.

Seriously, I hate that dunny. And I know how many of the boardies LOVE it - so it must be a kid/girl thing. It's like hard for me to look at. And in one of the forums someone was saying they hated it and someone else said 'um shutup its the best one in the seires and i h8 that won with the skeleton outline whats with that its not hard to write stupid skeleton outline on a dunny. THAT one is terrible. TADORULES!'

ugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:00 pm 

very useful.. thanks for the step by step instruction!
would try it when my holidays come..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:19 pm 

Great idea for a visual tutorial. If I a may make a sugesstion, I would highly recomend wearing gloves while using acetone. While it probably will not cause permeanent damage, it can burn your skin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:31 pm 

if you decide to use a screwdriver (which you dont have to) be careful you dont pierce a hole through your dunny/yourself!

CLICK HERE FOR MY WANTS THREAD - CLICK HERE FOR MY SALES & TRADE THREAD

PEOPLE IVE DEALT WITH:
bk_bk, gazpacho, soedmond, candycloud72, raajr87, jpark01, mbgsfv, giantdwarf, dunnyrocks, kapjock, buellster, proachlmt21, nicocato, bmxbenf, wastemoremoney, hodge, j y e e, hambat, meanmistert, securitygeek, apeboy, vdunny, hellscrape, YummyOreos, CLOUD2MAN, trustinSTARS, achmad, bluegreenkey, Sherbii, creaturion, tron, mister.g, reganomics813, NinJaSkills, OGA, DaVe^_^, St3phY ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:10 pm 

BWAHAHAAH THE PIC OF THE TADO about to be acetoned its priceless

I think when the guy in Brazil votes 100% yes, it's pretty safe to say that you can close the polls.

FREE Bomb Cat Giveaway
http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=248951

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:50 pm 

Nice little tutorial... Is (or was) the 6th picture a S4 Kozik? :sad:

Great transactions with Azraelazitgetz, ajgeni, ism, twotwelve, dxjock, essicaj, bk_bk, litefusegetaway, Motorbot, lowkey, NinJaSkills, PhatBastard, =DuNnYnNuD=, sinkFLsink, Memetic, FericFanatic, housekitty, Nebulon5, Manga Spawn, altercrisis, haji baba, robbieXeff, zonrboy, babykid, snowdragon101, Nicedream, Buellster, bungholio, DBAS, NewAddictions, Dab City 2, Gambaholic, Dank82.

My Collection