forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 928, 929, 930, 931, 932, 933, 934 ... 945  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:31 am 

Sideglide wrote:
I didn't like Freeny doing his disected Lego man in the 3 Companion disected colors. Also felt Kaws complaining was a total joke. Then felt miffed after seeing Kaws' disected version is a complete lift off of Hirst disected all the way down to color, head treatment and details of body that are unique to Hirst rather than a science kit.

That's not actually true. Hirst was sued by a toy manufacturer (Humbrol) for making his sculpture from their design.
http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/794_1_1513231.html

The thing is, Kaws took Mickey Mouse to make Companion, but he's added a new dimension to it. It's a parody of Mickey Mouse. Freely isn't adding anything to Kaws's designs. He just copied the idea of dissecting a toy character, and now has gone too far by putting his own spin on the very thing he started copying.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:11 am 

Ive been out of the collecting scene for awhile.. MAN I cannot believe how much the kaws prices have risen for his previous figures! wow..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:36 pm 

I Think people over react for Freely... The guys Always buy legit and official toy, cut the half of it... and scult the other half.. to make his own version... The guys want to do a version of Kaws.. and Kaws release an open edition of the Companions.. so it's easy for Freely to get an hand on the Toy... he bought it from Moma store... the dissected version are differents... Freely is more about the bones aspect.. and Kaws is more about the digestive one... I don't understand why Kaws is mad... and yeah Freely could chose a other version... but it was the cheapest one for a Kaws toy...but i'm hype to see what the final version will look like... it's not for mass production... it just 1 toys...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:13 am 

I think it's an unfair assumption to say that Freeny copied Kaws for the dissected look as 1) Kaws wasn't the first to do it, he's just the most well known for it in the current scene so there's probably some bias there and 2) Freeny does the skeleton, as compared to Kaws' innards. Kaws has a bit of an ego there I'd say. (Maybe justified ego but still, totally didn't need to jump in and comment)

In regards to the piece itself, Freeny bought the companion and is customizing it as he's done with countless other products. He does one-offs and it's not like he tries to pass them off as his own creations.

And for those who say Freeny's a one trick pony, he himself recognizes this (Marsham Toy Hour podcast) but that's what people are coming to him for and want to work with him for so why would he turn away those opportunities? I'm not a huge fan of the style but I am picking up his "dissected" 5" Dunny cause it's just a clean form driven piece.

Doodle Dunnys

Good/Bad Sellers/Buyers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:11 am 

happychopper wrote:
Sideglide wrote:
I didn't like Freeny doing his disected Lego man in the 3 Companion disected colors. Also felt Kaws complaining was a total joke. Then felt miffed after seeing Kaws' disected version is a complete lift off of Hirst disected all the way down to color, head treatment and details of body that are unique to Hirst rather than a science kit.

That's not actually true. Hirst was sued by a toy manufacturer (Humbrol) for making his sculpture from their design.
http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/794_1_1513231.html

Hi, thanks for the info, I hadn't seen this set and yes, agree it was a rip from the kit. Difference being with Kaws is, Kaws ripped it from Hirst who introduced it as an artistic piece which Kaws then ripped from Hirst. If this sounds familiar, it's because that is what Kaws is taking offense to Jason's post.

Some say Jason doesn't add anything but I would say his anatomy is unique to him as a take on character/toy innards.

So is it bad Jason does a unique take on innards that Brian lifted from Hirst who lifted from a science kit? Kaws' disected is 50% Hirst, 50% (more like 15%) original. Jason is 50% Kaws, 50% original take of innards. Seems a push to me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:09 am 

Announcement today? drop tomorrow around noon eastern?

aftermarket prices have settled a little, maybe I'll have a chance...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:05 pm 

Sideglide wrote:

Hi, thanks for the info, I hadn't seen this set and yes, agree it was a rip from the kit. Difference being with Kaws is, Kaws ripped it from Hirst who introduced it as an artistic piece which Kaws then ripped from Hirst. If this sounds familiar, it's because that is what Kaws is taking offense to Jason's post.

I see a big difference between Kaws taking Hirst's aesthetic for a dissected model and applying it to a toy (His own toy), and Freely who has taken that dissected toy concept and just applied it to more well known toys.

To me Kaws created something new, whereas Freely just created more of the same... even if he does it well and in his own style.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:19 pm 

Brazzzy wrote:
Announcement today? drop tomorrow around noon eastern?

aftermarket prices have settled a little, maybe I'll have a chance...

I have much better luck on KAWSONE on my Mac at work than on my home computer so I am hoping they drop tomorrow!

Great transactions with griffndunn, k3vkoh, bayareapanerai, Greggygreg, 0mie, tekman8, bigbad99, lindsd620, halfapparition

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:31 pm 

Lottery on kawsone tomorrow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:33 pm 

Brazzzy wrote:

US only. What's slightly more than no shot in hell? LOL

http://trampt.com/users/griffndunn/want

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:47 pm 

Definitely trying my luck for the shoes and hoodie. Good luck to all entering!

ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:58 pm 

franciscoali wrote:
Definitely trying my luck for the shoes and hoodie. Good luck to all entering!

Yes I'll be trying too, might as well.

Good dealings: drunknmaster916 , mfmunny , APina , peekaboo , didadi808 , piyo , emiliogarcia , enjoihavok , heebysdaman , tommynathan , kitman34 , simple123 , Nikejerk , dunnybunny , Crestone , [ - _ - ] , Nicocato, mANNEe , Brodus ,rosstamicahdesign, kaiycao , its420brother , Fender, gaijin665 , zonrboy, luckyscrm(x2), babbage1851, jot84 , Fliptrickz916, quijanoth, robbieXeff,Ash_KBear,Mongo Lloyd(x2), GFD18

Bad Dealings: The_Black_Mamba, Niya5508 or whatever they are calling themselves these days

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:42 pm 

happychopper wrote:
Sideglide wrote:

I see a big difference between Kaws taking Hirst's aesthetic for a dissected model and applying it to a toy (His own toy), and Freely who has taken that dissected toy concept and just applied it to more well known toys.

To me Kaws created something new, whereas Freely just created more of the same... even if he does it well and in his own style.

Im on the fence with your comment. My perspective is, Hirst lifted from a model set. To my knowledge adding nothing new except enlarging it. Kaws took the disected side and grafted on his disected companion. Again, no creativity added. A one-to-one copy.

Freeny does disected stuff too. Repeatedly. The fact that he does this on existing IPs is one thing, I give you that. The fact that the disected half is unique to the character referenced, and that the dissection is uniquely Freeny (color, sculpt, texture, etc.) is not from an existing art or source is something to give a nod to.

I feel like I won't be changing anyone's opinion on this, but appreciate the chance to discuss. If it helps, I would have preferred Freeny to disected a Kaws Blitz (bullet) as it is an original Kaws design and free of drama.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:03 am 

Lots of discussion about this on UAA

http://urbanartassociation.com/thread/144855/kaws-beef

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:03 am 

What's up with that Shangi Yuz red kaws?
Is it open edition? Prices for the set are going for around $1000
If it's open edition it will drop significantly
Anyone have insight ?

Black chrome Soyorama with box and original shipping box

Black chum

If you have any for sale please contact me ASAP
Interesting, willing and able to buy ASAP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:13 am 

^^ Actually know someone who payed $500 for a $200 toy? Could absolutely just be fake auctions to set a high mark. Could also be people with more money than sense. Could be people who don't even need to think twice about spending a grand on two toys.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:35 am 

I don't suppose there are any US members that don't want the Kaws x Jordans, and would be willing to enter the draw on the behalf of a Canadian, are there? Eh? Ehhhhh?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:08 pm 

griffndunn wrote:
Brazzzy wrote:

US only. What's slightly more than no shot in hell? LOL

Bummer sigh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:10 pm 

Items sold out while entering info, that was fun. :axe:

Good dealings: drunknmaster916 , mfmunny , APina , peekaboo , didadi808 , piyo , emiliogarcia , enjoihavok , heebysdaman , tommynathan , kitman34 , simple123 , Nikejerk , dunnybunny , Crestone , [ - _ - ] , Nicocato, mANNEe , Brodus ,rosstamicahdesign, kaiycao , its420brother , Fender, gaijin665 , zonrboy, luckyscrm(x2), babbage1851, jot84 , Fliptrickz916, quijanoth, robbieXeff,Ash_KBear,Mongo Lloyd(x2), GFD18

Bad Dealings: The_Black_Mamba, Niya5508 or whatever they are calling themselves these days

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:12 pm 

melting wrote:

Yeah, I got screwed out of an entry as well. never really participated in a lottery like this. seems kinda crap. at least my wife got an entry in.

good luck everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:14 pm 

Brazzzy wrote:
melting wrote:

Yeah, I got screwed out of an entry as well. never really participated in a lottery like this. seems kinda crap. at least my wife got an entry in.

good luck everyone.

Yes I didn't realize that the point was to enter the info as quickly as possible. It was a long shot anyway. Good luck to anyone who got in.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:14 pm 

melting wrote:

Yeah, that was bullsh*t. I had it in my cart and took a minute to look at the other options. As soon as I start entering my info its sold out. I really wish they had mentioned the lottery had a limited number of entries. I never thought they would limit the entries, so I took my time.

I guess me and these shoes were never meant to be.

Great Sellers: halfapparition, noeleaser, belfinatorzz111, (nice dream), paulzdeep, 666ways2love, rjxdang, w33zy16, cmk802, QUASIMO, Ath, fast1590, kgyure, mavxb3, DexDexign, MattPower, delicious62
Great Buyers: Counterbalance
Great Trades: DManTX, MattPower
Muled for: patrick40, ShizRobot, kgyure

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:16 pm 

I didn't know this thing was time limited/entry limited but I was lucky enough to throw mine in. Good luck to everyone else!

Transactions/References

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:23 pm 

well that was pointless

figured the site would be hammered and didnt bother to check till now because who only has a raffle open for all of 60 secs?

kaws does

for this he should have just loaded the merch on the site and first come first served

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:25 pm 

a friend of mine got in

his raffle entry number is just over 40K

lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 928, 929, 930, 931, 932, 933, 934 ... 945  Next