Collection cleaning

Come here to talk about artists, art, graffiti, culture, lifestyle, and news. A forum is for everything, including the kitchen sink.

Moderator: Kidrobot Guru

Gremio

Collection cleaning

Post by Gremio » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:17 pm

I was just wondering how often do you guys clean your collection? most of my important figures are in cases so obviously they don't get touched, but I seem to have a ton now sitting on the shelf, personally I can't stand dusting so I put it off as long as possible :p usually once every couple of months.

How about you guys? do you clean yours more frequently, just dusting off or do you use something else?
Nuclear Launch Detected.

Trampt: Have - Want
Successful Transactions:
AnonymousZC / Jollybungle / Ndbavin / therealchinaman / Vinyl fan / Wilko1212

acetate909

Re: Collection cleaning

Post by acetate909 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:17 pm

I don't use anything to clean the figures, if I need to get into a tight area I'll dampen a soft kitchen towel a bit but that's it...I always kinda make rearranging and cleaning a collective effort.
#Trampt/#IG/#Transactions(20+)
"This bi7ch is Waste Management cuz I piss in her mouth" ~Chris Palko
WTB - Nathan Ota - Midnight Crooner

ManicFunNoodle

Post by ManicFunNoodle » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:50 am

The stuff in the display case I don't clean that often, but everything else gets cleaned when I polish the flat (a few times a week) sometimes il clean each toy, other times il just put a feather duster over them, depends how much time I have lol
Trampt // Twitter // Collection thread
Awesome dude: Wilko1212
Bought from: Donnchadh / invader_chip / endopeine / thesinstar / Paul / evrst100 / (nice dream) / Vinyl Fan / snarebum
Sold to: Kidglasgow x2 / ajc / Buellster / Craig-o / archfiend101 / sadlittlepanda

LTB: DZ & Oil Zliks // Andrew Bell Prints // Squink Customs

FORCEFIELDS

Post by FORCEFIELDS » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:25 pm

Does any one have any advice for cleaning dust from toys that use a lot of fabric?

Stave

Post by Stave » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:39 pm

FORCEFIELDS wrote:Does any one have any advice for cleaning dust from toys that use a lot of fabric?

If its not too crazy, I would try compressed air.

Domina

Post by Domina » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:22 am

I think I'll use an old timey quilted cotton Diaper to polish all my resin,...picked by my dad's infant hand.And weaved by my late Grandma.
They're great for all dusting/polishing.
D~

NinJaSkills

Post by NinJaSkills » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:40 pm

I use a swifter duster and a can of compressed air for computers
I'm trying to help some under privileged kids have a fun and warm Christmas AND give a way a bunch of cool stuff!!

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=240247

Please help out if you can and please sign up! Tis the season!!!

django50

Post by django50 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:21 pm

Are Clorox wipes / baby wipes safe to use when dust accumulates ? Is there any chemical in them that will degrade/discolor the vinyl / plastic over time ? Or should I just stick to a light wet paper wipe /canned air blower?

Stave

Post by Stave » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:15 pm

Apparently some people are all gung ho to start cleaning their toys. The ONLY soap I would use on a toy if I truly felt like rubbing them down would be a very tiny amount of Dawn mixed with water. Anything else runs the risk of discoloring them down the road. How high of a risk? I have no idea.
:goodman:

Celluloid Hero

Post by Celluloid Hero » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:39 pm

I've used swiffer cloths before, but for the most part i will use a microfiber cloth to wipe dust off. I never use any kind of soap, and rarely dampen the cloth at all.

kaidoy021

Post by kaidoy021 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:51 am

I clean every few months if I remember. I use air can dusters and tooth brushes!

noeleaser

Post by noeleaser » Sun May 08, 2016 11:39 am

You can also pick up some mini lint rollers for your flocked toys!

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Mini-Lint-Roll ... int+roller

I use them on all my flocked pieces and they work like a charm! For the hard-to-reach areas, I peel off one of the lint roller sheets and dab it into the corners to pick up that extra pesky lint..

The other method I use is my vacuum cleaner. I have a Dyson with an extendable wand. The wand has a brush attachment that I stick on and then I leave the wand in place. I turn on the Dyson, pick up each toy and run it over the brush (while all of the dust is being sucked into the vacuum.) Unless your vacuum brush is completely clean, I'd advise you to not use a lot of force. Something may be stuck in the bristles and scratch/scuff/mark up the piece as you drag it along the bristles. To avoid this, I put our vacuum brush in the dishwasher every month or so..

Attach the brush like this:

Suck the dust off the toys like this:

Please let me know if you guys need any more guidance or more details.. :)

Good luck!
Collection Pics
Trampt Profile
Instagram
For Trade
For Sale

"Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage..."
- William S. Burroughs