Official BE@RBRICK Thread

A forum for general discussions about urban vinyl, boutique toys, & toy artists.

Moderator: Kidrobot Guru

m_fotografiert

Re: Official BE@RBRICK Thread

Post by m_fotografiert » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:33 am

Is there anybody else getting really annoyed about the new 1000s joint quality? They shake and squeek so bad.

I understand, that Medicom changed the manufacturing process for a better Water Print quality, but it is soooo bad overall. The bears are weaker at every joint, the arms are hanging quite loose, the upper body is always a little bit hanging forward, not standing completly upright like the old ones. The legs sound completly hollow when you knock your Finger against them and they start shaking at the slitest touch.

This, in combination with the fact, that they are getting more and more expensive really bothers me...

The old style ones are build like a tank and really worth the money. I saw some future models without the new wider leg gap. Hopefully medicom has gotten enough bad Feedback on the quality and changes to a sturdier solution. But it could be just press mock up pictures either.

Any comments on this issue?

Cheers from Germany

Markus

https://toysdorado.com/collections/433

beatnik21

Post by beatnik21 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:21 am

I have heard about this too. From what I know, they are only changing manufacturer for those 1000% waterpaint. Rest are those from the old manufacturer.
Looking for:
Kaws Original Dissected Companion
Kaws Mono Dissected Companion

BE@RBRICK BLOG

400% Be@rbrick SALE

Good trade:
phaughey, CanadianTurbo, justvincent, onlybobafett, New Addictions,Sean6bucks, realtyguy808

CanadianTurbo

Post by CanadianTurbo » Wed May 02, 2018 12:55 am

I have not messed with a 1000% for quite some time so cannot say I notice the difference but it is interesting.

Not much new for me, but I did pre-order the Phil Frost 400/100% set yesterday as I think it is a good design and I found it at pretty much Japanese retail with local pickup, so hard to argue with that.

smpt

Post by smpt » Wed May 02, 2018 1:22 am

CanadianTurbo wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:55 am
I have not messed with a 1000% for quite some time so cannot say I notice the difference but it is interesting.

Not much new for me, but I did pre-order the Phil Frost 400/100% set yesterday as I think it is a good design and I found it at pretty much Japanese retail with local pickup, so hard to argue with that.

How much is retail in Japan?

I will most probably pick up the 1000% of the Frost. I’m still trying to decide on the Pushead 1000
My Collection of Peecols

LAU SFCC GPS For Sale

vinylhammer wrote:FYou wouldn't believe that 3A has it's own, entire forum would you. Plus all they ever say is, "has your blah blah TK turned up yet", "no, i've been waiting for 2 years".

CanadianTurbo

Post by CanadianTurbo » Wed May 02, 2018 2:13 am

smpt wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 1:22 am
CanadianTurbo wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:55 am

How much is retail in Japan?

I will most probably pick up the 1000% of the Frost. I’m still trying to decide on the Pushead 1000
Retail on the 400/100% Set is 12,000 Yen, so maybe 95 Euros with today's exchange rates :badgrin: :badgrin:
The 1000% is 4 times that price for retail too.

m_fotografiert

Post by m_fotografiert » Wed May 02, 2018 1:02 pm

The 1000 Frost is on my Wanted List too, together with the 1000 Pollock v2.

But I ordered the Sasada not long ago and the 400 Daft Punk Discovery Set yesterday. And I bought a used 400 Iron Patriot today. So there is no Cash left for pre-orders for a long time ;-)

Still having my eye on the 400 Dsptch and some 100 Basic Sets on Ebay...

Right now I am waiting for the arrival of the 1000 Pushead and 1000 Rukkit from Thailand (both allready payed).
Cheers from Germany

Markus

Sideglide

Post by Sideglide » Thu May 03, 2018 6:20 am

Markus, your collection is growing!

I also like the Frost but told myself that I need to se the waterprints in person as they tent to be a bit too distorted depending on the source file (original size). Some look best on 1000%, others 400%. Some like Pushead are good in all sizes even 100%. I was not a fan of the Basquiat in 1000% personally, too digitized. They are fine 5 feet away but I am a details kind of guy.

m_fotografiert

Post by m_fotografiert » Fri May 04, 2018 4:26 pm

Sideglide wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 6:20 am
Markus, your collection is growing!.
Thanks mate. Slowly but steady I am running out of space...
Cheers from Germany

Markus

m_fotografiert

Post by m_fotografiert » Tue May 08, 2018 3:01 pm

New 400% custom bear:

www.thefilthymoney.com
Cheers from Germany

Markus

CanadianTurbo

Post by CanadianTurbo » Wed May 09, 2018 6:38 pm

Looking pretty good Markus!!

ianthegamer

Post by ianthegamer » Tue May 15, 2018 4:41 pm

nice looking custom
You got a problem with Reptar? YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH ME!!!!-Adam DeMamp
successful transactions: Sale thread: My customs: my wants: My Collection:

m_fotografiert

Post by m_fotografiert » Tue May 22, 2018 12:50 pm

The next batch of bears appeared on insta. I like the Steve Cabalero Bear. The new Basquiat and Haring, hm, not too exited about both Designs. Same goes for the new Babys, which are not available in the EU anyway.

But Series 36 ist looking goooood especially Garfield, the Macha Jellybean and the basics.
Cheers from Germany

Markus

CanadianTurbo

Post by CanadianTurbo » Tue May 22, 2018 7:15 pm

Yes perhaps a case of going to the same well too many times, the B@bys are cool but so many colours kind of ruins it for me, plus I remember when it was not that hard to get one. Not too keen on the slightly revised Spongebob either, I think the new Haring could be ok, but will need to see it in person. I enjoy the PlayStudio release, but I am fond of the brand and have met the designer a few times too.

Series 36 does not look to bad, I am assuming I should see them in about a month now, a not bad mix of licensed and some up and coming Japanese brands/artists. I always like to wait and see what the secrets are like but I usually score a tray as they are cheap here.

ianthegamer

Post by ianthegamer » Wed May 23, 2018 1:40 pm

I will get the Spongebob because the original is so outlandishly high in perceived value. I prefer the open mouth but the closed mouth is fine. Debating if I want the 400%and100% set. But Def gunning for the 1000% unless I can find the original for under $1300

smpt

Post by smpt » Wed May 23, 2018 2:52 pm

Thankfully nothing jumped out at me on the next drop. The Steve Cab is nice but I only like it as a 2D image.

Picked up the FDMTL bearbrick, added a lot of old Bape and the white neighborhood set.
My Collection of Peecols

LAU SFCC GPS For Sale

vinylhammer wrote:FYou wouldn't believe that 3A has it's own, entire forum would you. Plus all they ever say is, "has your blah blah TK turned up yet", "no, i've been waiting for 2 years".

ianthegamer

Post by ianthegamer » Thu May 24, 2018 11:15 am

Its hard to like when you put it side by side to the original :(
I want it but knowing there is a better version of it puts me on the fence

m_fotografiert

Post by m_fotografiert » Thu May 24, 2018 12:36 pm

I declined an offer for an original 1000% Spongebob some years ago for 350€. Because I dont like Spongebob... Bummer.
Cheers from Germany

Markus

ianthegamer

Post by ianthegamer » Thu May 24, 2018 3:13 pm

now getting any 1000% that price is nice lol.
So i will probably order from cjmart as it looks to be the best price. do they take the money upfront or dont charge until it ships? Just curious . thanks

CanadianTurbo

Post by CanadianTurbo » Thu May 24, 2018 6:02 pm

ianthegamer wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:13 pm
now getting any 1000% that price is nice lol.
So i will probably order from cjmart as it looks to be the best price. do they take the money upfront or dont charge until it ships? Just curious . thanks
I believe you have to pay fully upfront at CJ Mart (it was that way the last time I bought from there), they also declare full value when shipping so if you are subject to any customs charges you will pay generous amounts in my experience.

When the first Spongebobs came out they did not exactly fly off the shelves, strange how things go, but I guess it was all a bit different in 2009, but it means I got my 400% at a very reasonable price 8)

ianthegamer

Post by ianthegamer » Thu May 24, 2018 6:23 pm

Hmm. I have never been charged a fee from customs. Ill have to read into if the United States pays customs fees

CanadianTurbo

Post by CanadianTurbo » Thu May 24, 2018 11:31 pm

ianthegamer wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:23 pm
Hmm. I have never been charged a fee from customs. Ill have to read into if the United States pays customs fees
I think the US only pays if it is over a certain amount and that value is fairly high ($2500), but I have heard this could eventually change. If you live in the EU, Canada, Australia and more places this is a much bigger issue as import costs can become significant. I have had to pay more than the item cost on more than one occasion previously, luckily Hong Kong is a free port so nothing is ever taxed now for me.

ianthegamer

Post by ianthegamer » Fri May 25, 2018 10:16 pm

went ahead and pre ordered it. Holding off on the 400% for now. trying to condition myself to stay away from being a completest of all the sizes lol

m_fotografiert

Post by m_fotografiert » Sat May 26, 2018 3:00 am

Thats good thinking, I think its the best to settle for one size and get the other sizes only if the desired Pattern/Theme is not available in your size.

And for the Import fees, 2500 USD of free import in the US and none in HK, you are lucky guys.

In Germany there is a free amount of 25USD (try that one with a 1000%...) and after that it is 19% taxes on the declared value + plus 19% import fees if you get the wrong customs agent. Because Designer Toys are pretty unknown to customs here, some agents will say, it is a toy, so only taxes and some will say it is an art piece so pay up full.

Gambling I don´t like...
Cheers from Germany

Markus

CanadianTurbo

Post by CanadianTurbo » Mon May 28, 2018 7:04 am

Customs is a strange thing; China only gets around $6 USD for free and then could be subject to charges for instance. I do like living in a place with no import and no sales taxes though, I think that makes HK one of the best places for Be@rbricks, possibly even better than Japan.

I did pick up the Play Studio 400% today, was pretty much the Japanese retail price and I think it looks better in person as the finish is the satin style which is getting a bit more common recently it seems. I only have a teal of the sofubi figure to match but happy to have it.

Lots of good Bears around on my adventures today but I am off to Five Points this week so trying not to spend too much before the trip.

bonoboes

Post by bonoboes » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:27 am

Markus which paints did you use for custom (acrylic or smth)? Thanks.