Official BE@RBRICK Thread

A forum for general discussions about urban vinyl, boutique toys, & toy artists.

Moderator: Kidrobot Guru

CanadianTurbo

Re: Official BE@RBRICK Thread

Post by CanadianTurbo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:59 pm

I think we need to know what Kaws bearbricks they are referring too. If I recall correctly it was only the earliest few 400% bears that were made of vinyl and you can tell as they tend to be softer and not be as balanced. The brown HTM design for instance is one.

Now for the Kaws I think they are all made in the harder plastics, but materials could have changed over time still, or thickness, internal joints, etc changing weights. Something like the Kaws dissected has a fair bit of graphics on the front which may also change the weight compared to other bears. I think it really needs to be defined what is being compared as I am sure over the entire history of Be@rbricks there will have been a few changes.

Chillertwist

Post by Chillertwist » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:08 pm

I’m in on Bearbrick. :badgrin: man, those Warhol and Basquiat are Just out of this world. Some around to sell a pollock 400? Debating on the Haring one.. hmmm :)

Sideglide

Post by Sideglide » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:12 pm

CanadianTurbo wrote:I think we need to know what Kaws bearbricks they are referring too. If I recall correctly it was only the earliest few 400% bears that were made of vinyl and you can tell as they tend to be softer and not be as balanced. The brown HTM design for instance is one.

Now for the Kaws I think they are all made in the harder plastics, but materials could have changed over time still, or thickness, internal joints, etc changing weights. Something like the Kaws dissected has a fair bit of graphics on the front which may also change the weight compared to other bears. I think it really needs to be defined what is being compared as I am sure over the entire history of Be@rbricks there will have been a few changes.
Agreed. All Kaws were hard plastic but the process of construction has changed a bit. The bodies were thinner and could see the structural ribbing from the back. Now, that is mostly hidden. If there is concern for a fake it is simple: if it is vinyl, it better be made inthe first 2 years of 400% coming out and if it is vinyl and Kaws, stay away. No need to bust out a scale to measure grams, it is the easiest kind of fake to find.

Only the 1000% kaws OG and Chompers had vinyl and plastic used (vinyl head and hands). PS - both were hand painted so finding small flaws on these are a GOOD thing. If you are trying to buy a 1000% and it looks like it was done by factory templates or electronic application, stay away.

m_fotografiert

Post by m_fotografiert » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:30 am

Since this board seems to struggle, I would like to ask if anybody of the active Bearbrick Enthusiasts is interested in a Whatsapp Group (Line does not seem to work so well outside of Asia)?
Cheers from Germany

Markus

https://toysdorado.com/collections/433

CanadianTurbo

Post by CanadianTurbo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:35 am

Things are pretty slow around here these days. I would be good with a Whatsapp group as I use it a lot anyway.