forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:35 am 

Absolutely gutted. Very best wishes for the future, Huck.

https://www.huckgee.com/blogs/huckgee/today

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:26 pm 

Incredibly sad.

Huck's unique style and vision made him THE artist that got me interested in the art toy/designer toy/urban vinyl world (along with Coarse a bit later on). He was also the impetus for my instigating This is Not a Toy because I had tried to hold a solo exhibition of his work in Toronto and for various reasons it couldn't be done.

His work was featured very prominently in the exhibition and of course, in the catalogue which is now a collector's item.

I also feel very fortunate to have done the Huck Gee Project and will always treasure those pieces.

He'll be back. An ARTIST (capital letters fully intentional) of his talent can't be held back for long.

jv

Seeking:
HG Skullbunny
HG Sunrise Print
HG Shogun Print

Great transactions with:
vinyltoyz, uneekstyle, syx, ejholmes30, jot84, DrewJ, Code_66, johnrussellf, xXDunnyXx, robotkid33, halfapparition

Great projects with:
Huck Gee
Early Bird
A Little Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:32 pm 

From the Huck Gee Project:

The Sushi Chef & Octo Samurai

Warhog & Rider

The Rhino Poacher

The Seven Samurai

Seeking:
HG Skullbunny
HG Sunrise Print
HG Shogun Print

Great transactions with:
vinyltoyz, uneekstyle, syx, ejholmes30, jot84, DrewJ, Code_66, johnrussellf, xXDunnyXx, robotkid33, halfapparition

Great projects with:
Huck Gee
Early Bird
A Little Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:47 pm 

Incredible artist, always loved his work and would have a lot more if I could afford it :) Best of luck to him in his next endeavor, and as life is a journey i can only hope he might circle back to the toy scene one day.

Last edited by VenomAT on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:06 pm 

Well said Johnnyvinyl and VenomAT. Thanks for the photos JV, those are awesome figures.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:33 am 

I wish I could have afforded more of his work. His attention to detail always astounded me and his art style completely grabbed my attention. I can't wait to see the next part of his journey, but I'm also very bummed to see him go.

Great Sellers: halfapparition, noeleaser, belfinatorzz111, (nice dream), paulzdeep, 666ways2love, rjxdang, w33zy16, cmk802, QUASIMO, Ath, fast1590, kgyure, mavxb3, DexDexign, MattPower, delicious62
Great Buyers: Counterbalance
Great Trades: DManTX, MattPower
Muled for: patrick40, ShizRobot, kgyure

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:19 pm 

He got pretty nasty about KR for a while with his comments. I don't know the story or why there was beef, but I'm hoping he didn't burn any bridges he regrets.

I always consistently liked his work...hes one of 3 artists I have a separate and specific display for. His zombie dunnys are among my top 5 favorites. His Gold Life series is my top 3 favorite series!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:42 pm 

Many, many moons ago I got one of his artist proofs for his Spitfire Sharky. I was really new to the art toy scene so I was super chuffed to find the toy signed. I love his designs and the most recent line of animal gangsters has been absolutely amazing. If I could afford them I'd be F5ing like mad when they dropped. The price however is commensurate, if not undervalued, when compared with the quality of the work he does. The scene really has dropped off in recent years but this came as a shock. Like JLed and Kozik he was one of the cornerstones of this world in my eyes. What an incredible bummer. However, hopefully this leads to bigger and better things for Huck and his art. Sometimes decisions that gut us end up opening doors we didn't even know existed.

Good deals: dunnybunny, geoffcuddy, flabby, tommynathan, los507, SaintofSpinners, originalkaws, jonne14aj, cursetheseen, Creaturion, Just-Dan, gonedaddyfinch, zincsaucier442, a.tom, HomerJ66, cheerspiers, dingobean, mrburgess, 95nikehead, shark, redblueyellow, dds3254, BlueMonk, jcrazy, azjpeg, jtoki and many more...
My Sales Page // My Flickr

Why do I collect toys? -- They make me smile.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:18 pm 

best of luck on future endeavors. some of the best KR came out of Huck's vision.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:59 am 

johnnyvinyl wrote:
(along with Coarse a bit later on). He was also the impetus for my instigating This is Not a Toy because I had tried to hold a solo exhibition of his work in Toronto and for various reasons it couldn't be done.

offtopic but that's so amazing you did this! Seeing this with some of my friends was just an absolutely amazing experience and among the reasons I traveled from San Francisco to Toronto that time.

ontopic - this is super sad but understandable. The extreme niche of art that we are a part of has as he and others mention has been shrinking and if you can't sustain yourself at this art and you have a family it makes sense you need to do something else.

I'm a huge fan of his work though and I'm excited to see what he'll do next.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:53 am 

It's really sad to see him leave...

I do wonder if part of his downfall was choosing to produce his stuff in-house, particular his Blanks series. I get that he probably wanted full control to ensure quality and perhaps keep all the profits but in doing so, he ate up a lot of his own time as well as limited his output. I really wanted the Mecha Blank. :(

Doodle Dunnys

Good/Bad Sellers/Buyers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:38 pm 

Wow, one of my earlier dunny was his skull dunny.
I guess there might be a mad scramble for his studio products since he is leaving the scene.
I think he will be back, you can never hold back the artist in him. (Fingers crossed)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:51 pm 

I like Huck's stuff but only have a few of his pieces. And I think that his case may go to show that very few artists can create a business or a full-on career based solely in designer toys. It has nothing to do with artistic skill, but the fact that this is a very niche scene.

That said, some people above mentioned if keeping everything in-house could have contributed to his studio shutting down. I'd say so, but I think that's just part of the problem, namely not scaling a business correctly. From his open letter, it sounds like he didn't have many - if any - art assistants, and didn't have anyone helping him run the business side of things. I completely understand wanting to retain control and how it sucks to relinquish responsibilities to others, even if those responsibilities are weighing you down. But from my perspective, he may have spread himself too thin. Then again, he could have done everything right in terms of the business side and still ended in the same position because, again, it's a niche audience.

It amazes me how inexpensive custom toys are. I work 100% freelance in media production and if I charged my normal rate for the time it takes me to plan and paint a custom, I'd be charging quadruple what even some of the top artists are charging. Not that I'm complaining. I just wonder if they're undervaluing their time.

Oisterboy wrote:
He got pretty nasty about KR for a while with his comments. I don't know the story or why there was beef, but I'm hoping he didn't burn any bridges he regrets.

I missed this. The only thing I know about is the cancelled Gold Life series. Any links or info?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:22 am 

fakeXsound wrote:
I missed this. The only thing I know about is the cancelled Gold Life series. Any links or info?

The only concrete thing I know is from a podcast he did on Adventures in Design where he talked about how someone went through KR and asked Huck to do a custom. He felt they were charging too much and set a lower price but later found out KR kept the high price and it rubbed Huck the wrong way because he felt like it was unfair for guy who paid for the commission. Something along those lines but just shady stuff.

I believe it all happened after Paul left and new management wasn't on the up and up for a lot of stuff they did.

Doodle Dunnys

Good/Bad Sellers/Buyers