forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Too Much Kidrobot???
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:24 am 

I'm finding it very difficult to keep up time and $ wise. This company (industry) is dependent on the loyalty and the cash flow of collectors. But we have our limits!

I love Frank Kozik as creative director (so no complaints there), and I believe the company is in good hands with the recent sale. And of course I hope for long-term sustainability and profitability, but . . .

I just can't keep up, time, money or space-wise. There used to be three dunny series a year. We are already at three for his year, and it's June. I believe the flooding of the Kidrobot market is diluting the brand, making resale values plummet. Now, obviously, nobody is suggesting one buys vinyl as an investment, but it would be nice to not lose 50% of it's value on a resale.

Collections mature and change (not to mention lack of space), and we just can't sell our previous items for close to face value (with some obvious exceptions) anymore.

We have 3" series and special releases, 5", 8" 20". A series release used to be a big deal, with parties and artist signings, people would hit the boards, speculating and trading. Now it just feels like releases come and go. There is no fan-fare, because there's another release around the corner.

So Kidrobot. Please slow down. Could we just treat Dunnys as a special thing, and allow Kidrobot to profit off of it's commercial and corporate tie-ins? (And please don't get me started on the Batman Dunny series. That greatly diminishes the platform).

Thoughts?

Great transactions with: ckwok528, ianthegamer, Ash_KBear, poyplemcmuffins, DrftDrgn21, Eiji, dunnygirl84, jjH8te, 1v1artin, DirtyDiva, SonnyN, VapDee, (nice dream), chamber37, BurymewithmyToys, GPerg, itsluxury, Criqket, SerialChiller, KIDCANNON10, Oisterboy, LuckyKid19, Sideglide, MattPower

What I'm selling: http://trampt.com/users/dbfree/deal

What I'm seeking: http://trampt.com/users/dbfree/want

Post subject: Re: Too Much Kidrobot???
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:17 pm 

All 3 series have been focused on very different artistic styles. I wouldn't view the releases as diminishing the platform, but instead to showcase how vastly versatile it is.

If all 3 series spoke to you, well, cool I guess. You're the perfect customer.

sales thread http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?p=2065190#p2065190
100+ Buying, selling, muling transactions over the years. Plenty of references.

>>>DO NOT SUPPORT DEKORNER, Toy Tokyo
Bad dealings/shady people: griffndunn, Ktnboy, QNguyen/TRgear<<<

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:53 pm 

It's Arcane, DTA and what's the third release this year? Time kind of blurs together for me nowadays.

But like what 666ways2love said, I think the releases have been pretty different and unique so they probably speak to different collectors. And to me, I don't think the releases have diluted the KR brand, but strengthened it in my view as it shows the different styles that KR is willing to push.

And I get the concern of a dropping resale value (I'm sitting on some older Dunnys that just don't move) but I think you have to just let that idea go. Just buy it and enjoy it for as long as you can and treat it like a sunk cost. A Dunny costs about the same as a beer or two but you can enjoy it for much longer.

As for the fanfare part, that's just the scene having changed I feel. There's fewer retail stores and the overall scene is much smaller probably. It'd be awesome if retail stores did release parties but that's down to the retail stores' decision to do so, not KR. Also, mix that in with the preorder model, a release party probably wouldn't feel like a legitimate release party. I do think KR could try to do more community driven events but I don't know if I would entirely put it on KR's shoulders to grow the scene. We have DCON and now Five Points so those are pretty cool to have.

But that Batman series... :(

Doodle Dunnys

Good/Bad Sellers/Buyers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:03 pm 

wastemoremoney wrote:
It's Arcane, DTA and what's the third release this year? Time kind of blurs together for me nowadays.

3rd was the Warhol series if I'm not mistaken.

sales thread http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?p=2065190#p2065190
100+ Buying, selling, muling transactions over the years. Plenty of references.

>>>DO NOT SUPPORT DEKORNER, Toy Tokyo
Bad dealings/shady people: griffndunn, Ktnboy, QNguyen/TRgear<<<

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:17 am 

666ways2love wrote:
3rd was the Warhol series if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks! I treat that as licensed (crap :D ) and it totally didn't register for me at all... Not for me personally but definitely a great way to get into museums and great for Warhol fans.

Doodle Dunnys

Good/Bad Sellers/Buyers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:15 am 

I counldn't agree more! I became a KR fan back when series 2 dunnys were around, and at that point it was possible to complete series' and collect just about all the dunnys that came out. Now it takes a toll from on your bank account. I am a collector, if I begin a set or series I need to have them all, especially if it's something I support such as art. But now a days you just can't keep up. I used to be passionate about sneakers just as much, but dropped the hobby once Nike decided to release limited sneakers every week, not to mention charging $150+ for them. At the end of the day these are companies attempting to maximize profit and we are just consumers to them. They dont care about costumer loyalty, strictly speaking about my experience with Nike here, KR please don't follow this path!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:39 am 

Its definitely been tough keeping up with the releases. That said, I completely agree with 666 that all of the series have been quite different directions trying to hit different audiences. Its one of those good news/bad news situations if all of the series speak to you. My bank account is definitely lighter as a result, but I also have some of the dopest dunnys to come out in years. This year has showcased some of the strongest series and pieces we've seen from Kidrobot in years and in some cases I would argue ever. If Kidrobot has to maintain this release schedule in order to keep doing that then I'm all for it, but the second the quality starts to drop off *cough* Batman *cough* I will definitely be there with you.

Great Sellers: halfapparition, noeleaser, belfinatorzz111, (nice dream), paulzdeep, 666ways2love, rjxdang, w33zy16, cmk802, QUASIMO, Ath, fast1590, kgyure, mavxb3, DexDexign, MattPower, delicious62
Great Buyers: Counterbalance
Great Trades: DManTX, MattPower
Muled for: patrick40, ShizRobot, kgyure