forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:49 pm 

Dear art lovers, dear friends

Im having a crush on this beauty
Edition of 10
Signed numbered hand painted hand made by Emilio Garcia
Approx 20cm high

Price is EUR4000 and I'm having questions...
As it's a big big amount, what do you think of the artist ?

What's it's rate ? Is it overpriced ? Is it a good investment ?

I really need your help

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:20 am 

I like Emilio Garcia.

Price depends on how you look at it. EUR4000 is massively overpriced if you are looking at it as an investment. It's also overpriced considering it's an edition of 10 and that Emilio is an artist who will keep on churning out different color ways of the same item. This same piece was already released as a black (metallic?) edition of 3 and an all pink edition of 5. How many more color ways is he going to do? When is he going to do a yellow version? A glow in the dark version? Etc... However, it's not overpriced if it's a piece you love and intend on keeping and enjoying.

The question shouldn't be whether it's a good or bad investment but instead should be whether it's an investment at all... Besides JPS Art Gallery backing him and artificially inflating his prices, Emilio does not have a body of work, or track record, that justifies either the price or consideration of an investment.

At that price point, you should be looking at someone like kaws if you're concerned about the investment of your purchase.

conart.studio on twitter

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:31 am 

Buying art is like buying classic cars. Buy the ones you like for a price you are willing to pay because you are most likely going to get burned by the vagaries of the market. Just ask anyone who restores cars. They almost never earn money on them. They spend money on it as a hobby and then sell so they can move onto the next project. In this case you are buying something to display in your home as part of your hobby. There is very little rhyme or reason to the art market so if you don't want to regret a purchase get something you personally really want.

Good deals: dunnybunny, geoffcuddy, flabby, tommynathan, los507, SaintofSpinners, originalkaws, jonne14aj, cursetheseen, Creaturion, Just-Dan, gonedaddyfinch, zincsaucier442, a.tom, HomerJ66, cheerspiers, dingobean, mrburgess, 95nikehead, shark, redblueyellow, dds3254, BlueMonk, jcrazy, azjpeg, jtoki and many more...
My Sales Page // My Flickr

Why do I collect toys? -- They make me smile.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 6:26 am 

Thanks for your wise answers
I'll pass on this one ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:22 pm 

Well all 10 of these were sold before the opening of the show last night (Friday) here in HK. I think Emilio is quite popular in Asia, hopefully I will get to the show this week some time!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:07 pm 

CanadianTurbo wrote:
Well all 10 of these were sold before the opening of the show last night (Friday) here in HK. I think Emilio is quite popular in Asia, hopefully I will get to the show this week some time!!!

Just because it sold out doesn't mean it's a good investment. He's big right now in Asia because of JPS Gallery so the sell out does not surprise me. The lack of any history with his work and the fact that the prices for his work went up too fast are reasons this shouldn't be considered an investment at this point. Buying it because you are a fan or because you like the piece, then go for it. Buying it solely for an investment, don't go for it.

conart.studio on twitter

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:14 pm 

I am not commenting on the investment of the pieces, just adding that there seemed to be enough demand here for them for a quick sellout. I am planning to check out the show tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:55 am 

CanadianTurbo wrote:
I am not commenting on the investment of the pieces, just adding that there seemed to be enough demand here for them for a quick sellout. I am planning to check out the show tomorrow.

The original poster asked if it was a good investment

conart.studio on twitter