forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:49 pm 

Neca wont play will litigate all these no talent bootleggers now hahaha.

"total disgrace, alot of artists have been screwed by mindstyle, this is a claim that can be backed up BIGTIME!. In fact we could write a book on it! I don't have a grudge cause my situation has been done n gone, but i know of many other HUNGRY people wanting to produce work who will never see what they so rightly deserve, payment and samples, and whatever mindstyle decides to do with your art...you will have no say or control"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:49 pm 

Yes, with Frank on board, i am sure some good things will come. Good to have someone handling things who is indeed deeply rooted in the whole vinyl toy world. Kozik is a tough nut to crack so i am sure he will stand his ground firmly, heheheh.

Here is to a brighter future!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:54 pm 

Hahahah, yes. :axe: Let's go!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:55 pm 

Creative Director could just be a glamorous title. Who's really going to be calling the shots? I see more of the same in the future with easier access to uninspired, un-creative licensing deals. Hope I'm wrong...

Bought From: snarebum, bundleofjon, vinylgoddess, awsop, hellscrape

Sold To: snarebum, reganomics813, realtyguy808

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:01 pm 

I hope you're wrong too, heheh but i would rather be optimistic than not. I suppose proof is indeed in the pudding... things will take a bit of time for the transformation, well to get back on track, but it will... some awesomeness awaits.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:08 pm 

Kidrobot Guru wrote:
I suppose proof is indeed in the pudding

Frank's been on a diet for the past year. No pudding for him! Let him eat kale

sales thread http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?p=2065190#p2065190
100+ Buying, selling, muling transactions over the years. Plenty of references.

>>>DO NOT SUPPORT DEKORNER, Toy Tokyo
Bad dealings/shady people: griffndunn, Ktnboy, QNguyen/TRgear<<<

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:15 pm 

Hahaha...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:22 pm 

Athyndir wrote:
This is what "artist driven" means, directly from the NECA website:

“It’s rare to have the opportunity to join forces with an artist-centric company like this,” said Joel Weinshanker, COO of NECA. “We are doubly thrilled to be able to allow it to grow organically and flourish on its own, which is what we’re certain it will do with the involvement of Frank Kozik as creative director."

Tldr: they have 50 billion licenses already and are successfully marketing/selling them thru the NECA brand. KR is pretty much gonna be it's own autonomous entity that they want selling/creating stuff that made them famous: Art Toys.

Yeah, but whether that is hot air or not is the big question. I don't think Kozik is moving to Boulder when his studio and recently opened shop are in San Fran, so I wonder how someone can do that job from so far away. I'm cautiously hopeful. At the very least, it will be interesting.

References: Squidnik, halfapparition, foto junkaay, 1v1artin, NinJaSkills, hova, gmiddleswarth, frankthefish, Chauskoskis, ClarkR, rundmb, reactor88, jennipho, thetonybot, 666ways2love, Quest_Ion, NSTNATE, SecurityGeek, dimply_gecko, tsoli727, Dupper, BOOKER73, zombiemonkie, BRADLEYAFRANK, busizem718 + more (146 total transactions)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:37 pm 

I highly approve.

:rock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:10 pm 

I just have to say it's extremely exciting to see Frank Kozik taking over. Everything he does is magic. :D :D :D

My IG: https://instagram.com/k8_plus_h8/

My Trampt: http://trampt.com/users/HelloKatie3

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:18 pm 

I thought this got deleted... Just moved. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:19 pm 

Frank Kozik is awesome and this is welcome news . . . :D

Now lets get a Bots artist series!

KR MAKE an ASTROBOY TOY please!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:43 pm 

Cautiously optimistic...
I'd love to see the licenses get second tier and put just straight art stuff back on top.
Kozik seems to know what he's doing even if I don't always love his designs.

Does this mean no more kozik designs in each series??

Should be interesting!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:26 pm 

Mongo Lloyd wrote:
FINALLY! Marvel x Kidrobot Dunnys!

I am kidding (I hope.) This should be interesting to say the least so that alone will make it worth watching. Fact is Kidrobot was about to die off, this will keep them at least on life support for a bit longer.

NECA already is a monster with licenses, it would be nice to leave that focus over on their end and completely drop licensed goods from the Kidrobot line-up (wishful thinking but who knows.)

well with Kozik at the helm, im hoping they continue the marvel labbit series

For Sale: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=253239
WTB: Wandering Misfits -skelves w/ carts!

Successful transactions:
xbtran, rice_money, Almightymalikai, outman, Icer_IV, sk3llyz, Zerocks, griffndunn, jasonthemc, GFD18, excorphy(x2), jfactor13, evil0ne, Masago15, jaysapathy(x2), realtyguy808, Rmetz27, Nisares, DeSEBticoN, Merlin, mr2157, DesKaLiuz, geescube, shinobistinks(x2), chu, moejoepike, QNguyen, F@ndr0id, crux, BurymewithmyToys, c.feng, wastemoremoney

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:33 pm 

They wouldn't put KOZIK at the head to focus on licensed toys. They could get anyone to do that. The fact that KOZIK even took this gig is really telling of how awesome of an offer it was. He doesn't pull punches and he is a no bs type of dude. This is what we really needed to have. I'm throwing caution to the wind and focusing on the optimism

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:48 pm 

caswunn wrote:
They wouldn't put KOZIK at the head to focus on licensed toys. They could get anyone to do that. The fact that KOZIK even took this gig is really telling of how awesome of an offer it was. He doesn't pull punches and he is a no bs type of dude. This is what we really needed to have. I'm throwing caution to the wind and focusing on the optimism

100% agree. Go watch any of Frank's YouTube videos and tell me that's not a dude you want running the show.

Trampt: http://trampt.com/users/Athyndir/have

Looking for COARSE: Loser Jaws (Blush) and 1:3 Chopper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:11 pm 

I didnt mean Kozik would make more licensed toys. I was just replying to marvel dunnys. Id rather see more marvel labbits than marvel dunnys.

For Sale: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=253239
WTB: Wandering Misfits -skelves w/ carts!

Successful transactions:
xbtran, rice_money, Almightymalikai, outman, Icer_IV, sk3llyz, Zerocks, griffndunn, jasonthemc, GFD18, excorphy(x2), jfactor13, evil0ne, Masago15, jaysapathy(x2), realtyguy808, Rmetz27, Nisares, DeSEBticoN, Merlin, mr2157, DesKaLiuz, geescube, shinobistinks(x2), chu, moejoepike, QNguyen, F@ndr0id, crux, BurymewithmyToys, c.feng, wastemoremoney

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:12 pm 

Like everyone else I hope the art toys continue and that the intimacy of kr remains the same.

Also my adventure time hopes better not be dashed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:36 pm 

If Frank's running the show I'll buy tickets. :rock:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:49 pm 

After hearing everyone's take on what happened, I have to say I'm feeling optimistic. I think Kozik can only do good for Kidrobot, and hopefully it's enough good to get the company back to the powerhouse it used to be in the art world.

That being said, I think it's a bit scary to realize just how badly KR was doing before the acquisition. People saw signs early on, of cracks in the foundation, but it still always sounded like a lot of unfounded negativity and criticism. To know that the company was actually that close to being dead has shaken me a little.

While I may be into many other designer toys that KR doesn't produce, KR was the way I got into the game in the first place back in 2010. And it continues to be the only real place I know to meet/trade/talk with members of the art toy community. I know there must be other forums out there, but this feels like my home. I know the art toy world is pretty strong right now, but if Kidrobot were to go under, I would feel lost at sea...

amofop, nameBRAND, mANNEe, JRDillGC, lamuna, HOVA, vinylist, Dank82, iamchristsao, adik.na.chinoy, javadoozy, rimamir, cer0z, steen182, robotcollector, DrewBlood, therealchinaman, halfapparition(x3), phildren2a, fett42, soljah52, DarkLies212, KIDCANNON10, Stonesoup75, darika09, Salamander, DirtyDiva, DexDexign(x2), endo24, GKpirate619, LOADHOLT

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:45 pm 

Dunno how many of you have seen Brandt Peters view on it so i'm gonna post it here.

Quote:
Brandt Peters The real question is does Frank already have a plan to bring in artists he personally likes ONLY, or does he see a higher calling to support a bigger vision and even support toy artists outside of his collection. I know what Frank collects and who he collects... Hopefully he sees true potential or just acknowledges actual in your face reality that some artists whether you personally collect them or not, would be a prudent business move. It would also support community better which was what KR was all about in the beginning. Community is actually the key to success (even though this toy world is filled with jealousies and back-stabbing.) I am an optimist that Frank has bigger vision and I hope it goes down that route. In the lowbrow world -- many galleries tried to handpick the artists they personally like and then tried to take the position that ONLY their artists (that were friends were relevant.) It's a weird way to force history upon people and collectors when the whole time the people were sharing who they wanted as relevant the whole time in the public's eye. Some art magazines do this as well. What does Frank have in store for all of us? In any way it could only be positive and I have always dug Frank in a world that is not prepared for directness -- I actually love it! Before anybody knew who I was, he actually bought one of my first pieces and we talked on the phone for over an hour one day with him sharing the ropes on the toy market with me. He may not even remember... Funny though - Many artists I talk to shared a similar moment from Frank.

Good interactions with: quentdiggy, surfjord, Mastodon, saL

SALES THREAD:
http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=206433

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:06 pm 

geekvinyl wrote:

So you're the one!

Bought From: snarebum, bundleofjon, vinylgoddess, awsop, hellscrape

Sold To: snarebum, reganomics813, realtyguy808

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:16 pm 

Brooklyn_Vinyl wrote:
geekvinyl wrote:

So you're the one
:lol: :badgrin: :lol: :badgrin: :o :lol: :badgrin: :o :p :lol: :badgrin:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:15 pm 

Yup, definitely cautiously optimistic about this! Like people have said, Kozik doesn't seem to take to BS, so it seems like things are solid. One thing I think people are missing is that Kozik has been appointed Creative Director. He's not "calling the shots" when it comes to business, finance, and operations, as far as the title indicates. He's going to head up the image of the KR brand and oversee artistic product development.

Hopefully that press release is honest and NECA will be bankrolling KR so they can get back on track with the art toys. The fate of KR could have gone so incredibly wrong. It could have been a LOT worse than being acquired by NECA. Imagine if FUKNO bought them! Overall, I'm really happy and have my fingers crossed they go back to their glory days.

As for people's concern about NECA and the licensed toys, here's my take. KR has a lot of licenses - and more importantly relationships - with brands. I'm assuming NECA 1) thought it would be a good move to have an art division for its toys and 2) wanted to acquire KR's existing licenses and relationships with those brands so they can leverage those in NECA's existing lines of toys.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:50 am 

HelloKatie wrote:
I just have to say it's extremely exciting to see Frank Kozik taking over. Everything he does is magic. :D :D :D

:partyman:

I know a lot are hating on this, but I'm hoping this means continuing the simpsons and SF and South Park series in the KR look as well... KR and adult cartoons just fit in a way where I can display and enjoy.... It makes work easier and more fun.... Also yay Dunny lives!!

VapDee/spoileralert, MattPower, DannyWilkes, Mightygrinch, nonamer, Scrow, Dupper, starkravinmad, Nothing371, Rageous, MPeck86, MightyGrinch, skull boy, xbtran, therealchinaman, Freakinkram88, Crash Fistfight, JFactor, hypnotiq, brai aka slacker370z, Chamber37, syx, si41872002

Wants:
World hunger to be over

TRAMPT http://trampt.com/users/Ak4play/info

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next