Repairing Vinyl Toys

A forum for general discussions about urban vinyl, boutique toys, & toy artists.

Moderator: Kidrobot Guru

rejuvenile

Repairing Vinyl Toys

Post by rejuvenile » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:39 pm

Hello!
I am teaching a Vinyl Toy class in May and I have a student who wants to know how to repair holes, scratches, tears etc. in her old vinyl toys. Me, I cover most customs with sculpey and paint so this is a new concept for me. Any thoughts or suggestions?

clevetheripper

Re: Repairing Vinyl Toys

Post by clevetheripper » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:08 pm

rejuvenile wrote:Hello!
I am teaching a Vinyl Toy class in May and I have a student who wants to know how to repair holes, scratches, tears etc. in her old vinyl toys. Me, I cover most customs with sculpey and paint so this is a new concept for me. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Check out this section of the forum:
viewforum.php?f=27

Especially this specific thread:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=56606
Good Trades: j0nwalsh, lamey_the_bgp, NinJaSkills, Dim1011, robbieXeff
Good Seller: knave, KaDunny, riddlped, Rsinart, saucemoola
Good Buyer: KidRobotXXIV

rejuvenile

Post by rejuvenile » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:28 am

Thank you so much. Looks like I have some reading to do. One person suggested e-6000 to repair scratches and such. However, to fill holes I don't know if it would work.

Apparently this vinyl toy is a rather antique toy so I don't think she is willing to try to paint over alot of the toy.

I'll have to keep digging.
Thank you.

Envyy

Post by Envyy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:27 am

I wanna take a vinyl toy class! :shock: where at?

rejuvenile

Post by rejuvenile » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:14 pm

:D
Well come on by! The next one is May 14th, oh but its in Lorton, VA! :)
https://reservations.workhousearts.org Check us out.

Envyy

Post by Envyy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:51 pm

I wish I wasnt so far! It looks really cool but im all the way in NY :doubt:

TacoHerder

Post by TacoHerder » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:57 pm

well if you are really good with a plastic welder you could fill in the scratch and sand it down. I dunno how well the plastic will stick though. I know there are auto body fillers that are for plastic bumpers(not just BONDO) that will bend and move w/o cracking like hard fillers will. Just depends on how bad the scarth and if the area can even be painted over afterwards.
Complete(ish) 7inch GID munny. Turned into the worlds most powerful munny by adding a 1W 445nm(blue) laser. http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=187221

Janeeliz22

Post by Janeeliz22 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:12 pm

I have a question on this subject matter...

If something has been repaired, for example: An ear falls off, or a leg breaks off and you decide to fix or repair the item and it looks amaizing, almost as is nothing at all happened. Does this de-value the item at all? I have had to do very minor fixes to some of my vinyl, and I am just wondering if it takes away from the actual piece... I am never selling anything I own anyway (I love them too much), but I was just curious...
Awesome People

Snooker ~ Vinylassasin ~ JayJayFool ~ HovDog ~ The_Don ~ Bugliee ~ Squiddypoo ~ RogueRebel ~ 4pkboy ~ Nebulon5 ~ Zonrboy ~ Ms_Looking ~ Tsoli727 ~ Foxracing808 ~ Moonshot ~ NYHousekid ~ DunnyJake ~ The Naked One ~ SuperShallow ~ RessTroop ~ jjH8te ~ Heebysdaman ~ ktn625.

Please Let Me Know if I left Anyone out...

Bad Transactions with:

Gilly138

NSTNATE

Post by NSTNATE » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:28 pm

Janeeliz22 wrote:I have a question on this subject matter...

If something has been repaired, for example: An ear falls off, or a leg breaks off and you decide to fix or repair the item and it looks amaizing, almost as is nothing at all happened. Does this de-value the item at all? I have had to do very minor fixes to some of my vinyl, and I am just wondering if it takes away from the actual piece... I am never selling anything I own anyway (I love them too much), but I was just curious...

Are they any less valuable to you?

As long as you are keeping them, thats all that matters.

If you are selling, you def would need to mention the repairs.

TacoHerder

Post by TacoHerder » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:08 am

ya, any flaws must be noted. I was going to trade a 09 Amy Ruppel dunny. BUT i was an idiot and put a dab of white putty on the bottom to keep it from falling off my tv... So when i tried to take it off the tv it took some of the paint off on her name on the bottom of its feet. Not really that major, but the person didnt want it after that.
Complete(ish) 7inch GID munny. Turned into the worlds most powerful munny by adding a 1W 445nm(blue) laser. http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=187221

Janeeliz22

Post by Janeeliz22 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:11 pm

Yeah, I mean like I said, I intend to never part with any of my toys... I was just wondering because I have baught toys ( more recently actually ) and one of the items came with a messed up ear. It's not something that was disclosed to me, but it wasn't damaged all that bad either. However, if I knew it was damaged (even though very minor ) I most likely would have held out for one that was a bit more perfect... I was sorta upset that nothing was said about it because I paid a pretty penny you know? And I personally would never do that to anyone...
Awesome People

Snooker ~ Vinylassasin ~ JayJayFool ~ HovDog ~ The_Don ~ Bugliee ~ Squiddypoo ~ RogueRebel ~ 4pkboy ~ Nebulon5 ~ Zonrboy ~ Ms_Looking ~ Tsoli727 ~ Foxracing808 ~ Moonshot ~ NYHousekid ~ DunnyJake ~ The Naked One ~ SuperShallow ~ RessTroop ~ jjH8te ~ Heebysdaman ~ ktn625.

Please Let Me Know if I left Anyone out...

Bad Transactions with:

Gilly138

TacoHerder

Post by TacoHerder » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:38 pm

Ya i feel ya, thats kinda shady.

hellscrape

Post by hellscrape » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:53 pm

quick question.... what is this magic eraser i keep hearing of? it's it the mr. clean sponge? or like a pen? i have a couple toys with minor scuffs on them.
GOOD B/S/T: Nicopanda, Turnone, Chapper, Tnbrother, Nutter, Amethystcape, Turdhole (x2), Mrsmonster, Xmeat11ballX, rustedhalo, 666doll (x2), supershallow, bk_bk, zonrboy, markie_darkie, wingnut80, tvdang, kannaya24 (x2), dro333, nerps, Retro603, kom22, dunnydave, ohiheartyoux, JEEMAC, spungee, dunnyjake, dphear, ROCSone, TO Designs, CurseTheSeen, Saulvation, Teez, invader_chip, shibori, x661x, mooshysushi (x2), jjH8te, patrick40, Naturaljoe, spitfire, DrftDrgn21, nrk3, Bundleofjon, Lazanti, vinyladdict, deathtollzero, Merlin, genejo, RessTroop, Norms, lediscode, giantplasticmonster, Peter_Awesome, Mz59Fifty, rostahmicahdesign, jonnyboi017, locksmith

fail2evolve

Post by fail2evolve » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:56 pm

hellscrape wrote:quick question.... what is this magic eraser i keep hearing of? it's it the mr. clean sponge? or like a pen? i have a couple toys with minor scuffs on them.

it's a mr. clean product like a sponge. it's abrasive, so you can't really use it on painted surfaces, but straight vinyl it works alright. kinda noticeable in the light though.
People I'm comfortable dealing with: Hypnotiq, Fuller, Eyeforaneye, DrftDrgn21, Chrisosaur, Irulan, Zombiemonkie, Pomasta, dunzo, esro, nerviswr3k, AlbertOne, blackandblueNH, CasWunn, Janeeliz22 (if i forgot you, pm me)
I would never deal with Art Asylum Boston or Jason Zenga. This is why.

How to Prep your Dunny (by Mezzn and Fail2Evolve) http://vimeo.com/24965810

hellscrape

Post by hellscrape » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:13 pm

so no magic eraser on painted vinyl, but it's ok on unpainted.... and do you have any recommendations for scuff on painted vinyl? thanks!
GOOD B/S/T: Nicopanda, Turnone, Chapper, Tnbrother, Nutter, Amethystcape, Turdhole (x2), Mrsmonster, Xmeat11ballX, rustedhalo, 666doll (x2), supershallow, bk_bk, zonrboy, markie_darkie, wingnut80, tvdang, kannaya24 (x2), dro333, nerps, Retro603, kom22, dunnydave, ohiheartyoux, JEEMAC, spungee, dunnyjake, dphear, ROCSone, TO Designs, CurseTheSeen, Saulvation, Teez, invader_chip, shibori, x661x, mooshysushi (x2), jjH8te, patrick40, Naturaljoe, spitfire, DrftDrgn21, nrk3, Bundleofjon, Lazanti, vinyladdict, deathtollzero, Merlin, genejo, RessTroop, Norms, lediscode, giantplasticmonster, Peter_Awesome, Mz59Fifty, rostahmicahdesign, jonnyboi017, locksmith

fail2evolve

Post by fail2evolve » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:17 pm

whenever i want to give my toys an actual cleaning, i try to find (and this sounds weird, but it's good logic) the most organic, non chemical, unscented, non toxic and bio-friendly feminine napkins/ baby wipes available and use those and some lightly dampened paper towels. If they're mild enough for a newborn's bum, they're mild enough for most toys. I've done this for years with no discoloration or change in appearance / texture.
People I'm comfortable dealing with: Hypnotiq, Fuller, Eyeforaneye, DrftDrgn21, Chrisosaur, Irulan, Zombiemonkie, Pomasta, dunzo, esro, nerviswr3k, AlbertOne, blackandblueNH, CasWunn, Janeeliz22 (if i forgot you, pm me)
I would never deal with Art Asylum Boston or Jason Zenga. This is why.

How to Prep your Dunny (by Mezzn and Fail2Evolve) http://vimeo.com/24965810

hellscrape

Post by hellscrape » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:20 pm

i've used the vinyl wipes they sell for car interiors... and they give them a beautiful luster and shine, although it also turns them into dust MAGNETS

Daimyo

Post by Daimyo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:10 pm

NEVER repair actual antiques. Modern stuff is one thing but you destroy any value of vintage stuff doing anything to it. flawed is always considered better than repaired in the vintage game unless the restore work is done by an expert and does not alter the original in any way. Just my 2 cents but she may want to reconsider.

DC40

Post by DC40 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:42 pm

I just bought a 2007 Gloomy bear pair and one of them had cracks on head and neck. Any way to fix cracks?