forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:05 pm 

hed568 wrote:
Another mini series would really be cool

I assume we'll see a Moe's Tavern series. I'm curious as to what characters will be in it, seeing as we have already have Moe, Carl, Lenny, Homer, Barney and Duffman; maybe this means we'll see some varients, like a 'Boxing Homer', a 'Flaming Moe' etc. Still, I'm struggling to see what they have planned. Oh, maybe it's a display scene??

As for the Toy Fair in general, I'm really looking forward to the 'Rick & Morty' mini series. Hopefully they'll produce a mini series for each season of the show, because there seems to be enough new characters in both seasons 1 & 2 to justify a mini series for each season.

SUCCESSFUL TRANSACTION WITH: bluechris1006, Itsonlyme, Vinyl fan, subliminalghandi, headclick
SPECIAL BOARDIES: halfapparition (2016 SDCC Mule)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:38 pm 

Mr. Hankey wrote:
hed568 wrote:
Another mini series would really be cool

I assume we'll see a Moe's Tavern series. I'm curious as to what characters will be in it, seeing as we have already have Moe, Carl, Lenny, Homer, Barney and Duffman; maybe this means we'll see some varients, like a 'Boxing Homer', a 'Flaming Moe' etc. Still, I'm struggling to see what they have planned. Oh, maybe it's a display scene??

As for the Toy Fair in general, I'm really looking forward to the 'Rick & Morty' mini series. Hopefully they'll produce a mini series for each season of the show, because there seems to be enough new characters in both seasons 1 & 2 to justify a mini series for each season.

The moe's tavern would be an awesome idea!! Maybe a small series like the house of horror edition..

I am looking forward to the rick and morty mini series, but i think its more towards adult swim characters. I have seen something about a 6 inch rick and morty piece coming out..

My displayed collection:

(The rest of my colleciton is tucked away. Yellow "Simpsons Comics" sign is Signed by Matt Groening!)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:00 pm 

AH3_ wrote:
I am looking forward to the rick and morty mini series, but i think its more towards adult swim characters. I have seen something about a 6 inch rick and morty piece coming out..

Hopefully that's not the case, and R&M has its own series all to itself, but the teaser image on the blog (that looks down on the figures) makes it look like you could be right. Hopefully all the figures teased were pulled from seperate Adult Swim releases, and they just combined them into one photo. If it is just an Adult Swim series, I'll have to try and pluck out the R&M figures because, unfortunately, I don't watch any other Adult Swim shows...

SUCCESSFUL TRANSACTION WITH: bluechris1006, Itsonlyme, Vinyl fan, subliminalghandi, headclick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:16 pm 

Saw some earlier chatter on this thread re: Gold Mr Sparkle
&
I noticed they put some up on KRdotcom today
Also - the Large A.W.E.S.O.M.-O. is there.
For those interested...

Good Transactions: MellowB , realtyguy808 , delicious62, slobot , joshmayhem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:55 pm 

Now is your chance, Mr Hankey.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:17 pm 

ToyFair images have popped up on Instagram, and oh boy https://www.instagram.com/jwilcox79/.

In a bit of disbelief at the decisions made, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:08 am 

It's a real shame that the keychain series has the more interesting figures ... Mr. Plow, Cop Marge, Beach Bum Lisa ... and what looks like Krusty without a shirt? (Rory B. Bellows?)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:16 am 

Jiminy Jillikers wrote:
It's a real shame that the keychain series has the more interesting figures ... Mr. Plow, Cop Marge, Beach Bum Lisa ... and what looks like Krusty without a shirt? (Rory B. Bellows?)

Didn't even pick up on Krusty as Rory Bellows, but yeah. Wasting so many great figures on a keychain series, then lumping in figures like Apu that have been available for up to 10 years is disappointing. Especially Mr. Plow being a keychain after we got a 3" Plow King.

The Flaming Moe's medium figure will be neat, but the Moe's Tavern set looks awful for long-time collectors. 5.5 Moe's per case and only 3 new characters and the love tester. Still no Seymour Skinner, Edna, Phil Hartman characters, a regular Flanders/Ralph etc etc.

Genuinely curious what that mystery chase is in Moe's though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:44 am 

93matt wrote:
The Flaming Moe's medium figure will be neat, but the Moe's Tavern set looks awful for long-time collectors. 5.5 Moe's per case and only 3 new characters and the love tester. Still no Seymour Skinner, Edna, Phil Hartman characters, a regular Flanders/Ralph etc etc.

Genuinely curious what that mystery chase is in Moe's though.

Yeah ... Drunk Barney, Drunk Lenny, Drunk Carl, Drunk Homer, Drunk Snake?? Who cares?

And this is what ... Spring 2018. Nothing really new or interesting till when ... 2020? 2021?

I think this might be it for me.

Sadly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:38 pm 

The moes tavern series is simply terrible for any collector. I'm not really sure who it is aimed at? long term collectors will be put off by the lack of new characters and I can't imagine casual buyers will be hugely attracted by the selection as is.

The only two I want are the bar flies.

The drunk versions of the others seem very lazy potentially using the same molds. The Lego Simpsons figures with the original house had those half awake eyes and no one was happy with them.

Such a shame as I have been really liking a lot of the recent KR output but this was the only line I've been trying to collect as I'm a massive Simpsons fan first.

Perhaps the chase is Guy Incognito? Though I'm not 100% the sillouette matches .

The large figure could be tipsy mcstagger but more than likely will just be moe at the bar?

Currently looking for:
Chaos Mini Mr Bunny/Fairy, Simpsons Hans Moleman, Simpsons Patty, Simpsons Funzo, Any Joe Ledbetter, Zliks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:20 pm 

(I wrote this prior to seeing the comments above – apologies for repeating points already made)

Based on the photos I’ve seen on Instagram, and what they have revealed (assuming the concept art is very close to how the final product will be), it’s been quite a let-down.

Regarding the mini-series, I agree that the inclusion of only 3 new characters is a major let down for long time collectors, however, what I think is more frustrating is that the repeated characters are so incredibly like their series 1 & 2 releases, be it for a few minor changes. Its reminiscent of the situation we had with the South Park series.
I completely understand (and fully support) KR’s need to repeat certain characters so that new collectors get the opportunity to acquire them, however, I think it is unfair that they are nearly identical to previous releases (as ‘KingBongo’ and others have said); where is the incentive for series 1 & 2 owners/collectors to purchase these figures, when they are essential getting what appears to be near copies of figures they already own? From the images shown, I can just about excuse ‘Drunk Homer’ and ‘Drunk Barney’, but Lenny, Carl, the two Moe’s, Duffman and Snake are a joke; it’s a big middle finger to their most loyal and dedicated fans, and we don’t deserve it. Duffman is particularly disappointing, considering he was a series 1 chase.

I hate hearing people say that they have had enough and are going quit buying and sell off their collections, because I really want to see this series continue to grow and flourish. It has so much potential; like ‘93matt’ and many others have mentioned over the past few months/years, there are still so many great characters not yet released, including lots of potential variants. Same goes for the South Park series.

Instead of just voicing my criticisms and end it here, I thought I’d present something constructive by proposing what I believe would be a great, but realistic, ‘Moe’s Tavern’ series, seeing as they are going to produce it anyway. After the teaser image of Moe’s bar was leaked by Half a few months ago, I initially thought that a series centred around ‘Moe’s Tavern’ would be difficult to pull off, considering most of the characters that frequent the bar already exist. However, after a little thought, I realised it could be quite cool. If I’m being optimistic, there is (I assume) plenty of time for KR to make some changes to this series, so here goes:

1. Drunk Homer*
2. Sober Barney
3. Angry Moe w/ shotgun or telephone accessory
4. Boxing Homer
5. Boxing Manager & Trainer Moe w/boxing memorabilia or spit bucket
6. Ugly Face Moe
7. Handsome Moe
8. Crazy Homer (from the episode ‘Flaming Moe’s’)
9. Joe (Shelbyville’s Moe)
10. Colette
11. Sam
12. Larry
13. Dr. Tad Winslow
14. Drunk Lenny*
15. Drunk Karl*
16. Love Tester
17. Duffman Variant*
18. Duff Beer Kegs (potentially one for each type of beer e.g. Duff Lite, Duff Dry, and Duff)
19. A Pint of Flaming Moe

*must be significantly different from their series 1 & 2 releases.

Obviously, the above list is not complete, and I accept that some could probably be cut out from the final release, but it’s a start. I have no ideas for a Duffman variant (maybe somebody could suggest one?).

On a side note, I’ve has an idea for a future series - ‘Eye on Springfield’ Series – The Celebrities of Springfield. I’ve made a list. Thought it would be a great opportunity to get some great Springfield celebrities into the collection. If anybody is interested, I can post it. I’d love like to know what people think of the idea and whether you have any suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:00 pm 

Mr. Hankey wrote:
Obviously, the above list is not complete, and I accept that some could probably be cut out from the final release, but it’s a start. I have no ideas for a Duffman variant (maybe somebody could suggest one?).

Duffman hasn't appeared a whole lot ... but, maybe ... Duffman poorly disguised as a reporter at that press conference? Duffman with the Duff sticker on his face (Duffman can't breathe.)? Mexican Duffman (at a real stretch)?

When you say 'Springfield Celebrities', do you mean famous people within Springfield (Kent Brockman, Troy McClure, etc.), or celebrities that have appeared as themselves on the show?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:03 pm 

Jiminy Jillikers wrote:
When you say 'Springfield Celebrities', do you mean famous people within Springfield (Kent Brockman, Troy McClure, etc.), or celebrities that have appeared as themselves on the show?

Yes, famous people within Springfield, not real life celebrities playing themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:16 am 

A few left field ones that could be added to the Moe's set:
- Krusty as a stand up
- Guy Incognito
- Kirk Van Houten with Can I Borrow a Feeling tape
- The B-Sharps
- Mount Lushmore cariatures of Homer/Lenny/Barney/Moe/Carl
- Joey Jo-Jo Junior Shabadoo (a bit further left field than most :lol: )

Or the anti-Moe's people too:
- Rex Banner
- Helen Lovejoy

One seperate issue that we haven't mentioned that is another kick in the guts for collectors, upping the case from 20 to 24 boxes while dropping the number of figures from 20 (including variants, 14 without) to 13.

While I wasn't a big fan of the Cartman series, I wouldn't mind it for Homer...at least compared to this set:
Stonecutters / Deep Space Homer / B-Sharps / Homer as Santa (S01E01) / Boxing Homer / Teenage Homer / Homer stock photo with hundreds of cigerettes in his mouth / Mr Plow / Crazy Homer (THOH 4/5) / Dancing Homer / Mr X / Pie Man / Colonel Homer / Homer at The Bat

They're just what came in a 2 minute brainstorm, I'm sure there's more I've missed that would fit in better.

I'd still prefer another regular series more than anything, I still need the Hutz/McClure/Lanley figures I've been banging on about for years :P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:01 pm 

No overly excited by this myself either but I'm sure by 2018 I'll have a case (or 2...)! :lol:

Also interested to see what the medium Moe will look like.
Not sure it will be anything more than Moe with an accessory though.
An uncle Moe with a basket of fries on his head would have been great!

Great Sellers:
harleyyydent ~ apeboy ~ JayJayFool ~ NewAddiction
kiwi888
~ 0mie ~ turbobert ~ phat_ox ~ jollybungle ~ LeCee
Great Buyers:

KingBongo
Special Thanks:

rusty ~ SDCC Mule 2012
halfapparition ~ For Your Efforts At SDCC 2013
AnonymousZC ~ A True Gent!
666ways2love ~ SDCC Mule 2015

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:20 pm 

Quote:
- Joey Jo-Jo Junior Shabadoo (a bit further left field than most :lol: )

*runs out crying

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:20 pm 

@93matt - great point about upping the box number and dripping the figure count. Basically, we're getting screwed from both ends...

Yes, I'd love a Homer series, so long as is doesn't get in the way of a future 'regular' series.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:40 pm 

(Sorry, another long post...)

The Simpsons series doesn't seem to have been well thought out from the start; it's been very up and down.

For me, Series 1 was brilliant; KR nailed character selection, total number of figures, accessories, ratios and design (paint, colours, sculpts etc); they definitely had a premium feel. It was a great start to the series, and set the benchmark for future releases.

After such a great start, Series 2 was a little bland for me; I'd say it was 'good', but not great, with many boring, cheaper sculpts (more coloured vinyl, less paintwork), missing accessories, and odd ratios. Characters that deserved more attention such as Carl, Lenny, Moe, Patty and Selma etc, were left without accessories, cheaper sculpts (made evident by the lack of painted surfaces) and bland expressions. Overall, it was quite boring, with the exception of the Zombies, which had superb, highly detailed designs and great paintwork; without them the series would have been a big let down. It appeared that KR had prioritised quantity over quality.

Then we got the 'Treehouse of Horror' Series, which was a mixed bag. On the one hand, certain figures were fantastic, such as Vampire Burns and the Gremlin, with lots of painted surfaces, high levels of detail, and great accessories. I suppose The Aliens would also fall into this category, and possibly Clown Ralph. Then, on the other hand, a few of the lower rarity figures fell short in terms of quality and detail; the paintwork, where applied, was usually messy, and the sculpts looked very cheap, particularly Bart Fly and Cat Marge. On top of this, the series was rather small. It wasn't as though the (classic) THOH episodes lacked memorable characters from which to chose from, so I'm sure more could have been added. Overall, the series was ok, but again, like series 2, it was just about saved by a couple of brilliant figures. That series had (and still has) so much more potential. Fingers crossed, they'll revisit and fill in the blanks.

The '25th Anniversary' Series was pretty good in all fairness. The sculpts in general were good, maybe a little cheaper than series one for some characters, but overall good. The chase figures were great , and I didn't mind the Duffs because they were well done. I know a few people hated the 3 x Mr. Sparkles, saying that it was lazy, but personally I loved them. My only complaint would be that the ratios were cruel, and I would have liked a few more accessories alongside some of the figures. Regarding the case layouts, I did relatively well with my case, but I think (based on feedback on the forums) that most of the cases weren't good, leaving many collectors (Dave_Patch jumps to mind) majorly disappointed; I'm always of the opinion that people who purchase a case should be somewhat rewarded for their investment. I don't agree that just because you get a case that you should be guaranteed the rarest figure(s), however, I do think that if you make do buy a case, KR should guarantee you a few chases at least.

I've said what I think of the Toy Fair concepts, so no need to repeat myself regarding the 'Moe's Tavern' series.

In general, IMO, the Simpsons series has been poorly planned from the get go; it's as though each series has been created isolation, with no thought towards future releases. We're still missing many vitally important, Springfield staples, such as Ned Flanders, Principle Skinner, and Ralph, but yet have a Moe's Tavern series coming with only 3 new characters? I understand (& agree) that every release needs to appeal to the first time buyer, and therefore include a few staples of the series, however, you shoot yourself in the foot when you fail to capitalise on your existing fan base by effectively reproducing figures (be it slightly altered) and passing it off as a 'new' series.

I still think they've got plenty of opportunity to fill in the gaps, and make up for the shortcomings of the previous releases.

Although I've been quite critical, I still love so many of the figures they've released and really hope they listen to the people on the forum. I think most people are frustrated because they care, and have invested time and energy into collection the series, and truly don't want it to lose momentum.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:03 pm 

All good points there, especially your last. It seems like no thought was put into this other than the concept itself, I don't think the bar flies or a bunch of Moe variants are going to appeal to too many first time buyers.

KR's planned keychain release does it a bit but why not release a full keychain or 1.5" figure collection that is a 'best of' Series 1/THOH/25th Anniversary. They could undercut Funko's price for minis and gain new buyers without driving collectors insane by wasting a 3" series which we have to wait years for.

A Springfield Elementary series could give a much better range of characters, have a strong casual collector appeal (Ralph, Nelson, Lisa, Bart, Milhouse, Skinner especially) and finally give a female character that isn't a Simpson/Bouvier.

1. Martin
2. Ralph
3. Nelson
4. Uter
5/6. Sherri and Terri
7. Rod
8. Todd
9. Kearney
10. Jimbo
11. Skinner
12. Krabappel
13. Chalmers
14. Hoover
15. Lunchlady Doris
16-18: Lisa, Bart and Milhouse variants to attract the casual buyer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:19 pm 

What are the chances a few more characters will be thrown in the mix? I'm sure KR can do better

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:01 am 

hed568 wrote:
What are the chances a few more characters will be thrown in the mix? I'm sure KR can do better

I remember the display case at the Toy Fair for the 'Faces of Cartman' series had 2 or 3 more figures than the final product, but I suppose it's a little different because they reduced the figure and didn't add. I suppose there is time, but then again, I have very little knowledge of how long it takes to design and 3D render a figure ready for manufacturing. Plus, it must be difficult constantly seeking the approval of the licencer.

On that note, does anybody know anything about the production process for Kidrobot products; it would be great if KR did a series detailing the the process from start to finish, from concept artwork, to 3D rendering, licencer approval, to distribution and sales etc. I'd love to know how it all works and how long it takes.... could be a web series; a behind the scenes so to speak.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:48 am 

Anyone remember if the keychain series (based on Series 2) used to include an entire set of figures in a case? Checked Youtube for unboxings and couldn't find a case and couldn't find anything in the thread history.

It's cheap enough on eBay and considering it knowing that the 2018 keychain series is the only thing with a decent seelction of new figures for a long, long time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:04 am 

Yep complete set in a case.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:35 am 

Just noticed the 'Treehouse of Horror' mini series has come back for pre-order at Popcultcha (AUS) and Toywiz (USA) so looks like there may be a restock of that for Halloween this year

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:46 am 

93matt wrote:
Just noticed the 'Treehouse of Horror' mini series has come back for pre-order at Popcultcha (AUS) and Toywiz (USA) so looks like there may be a restock of that for Halloween this year

You think it may be a TOH Series 2?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130  Next