UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL MICHAEL LAU THREAD

A forum for general discussions about urban vinyl, boutique toys, & toy artists.

Moderator: Kidrobot Guru

Kamows

Re: UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL MICHAEL LAU THREAD

Post by Kamows » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:00 pm

Wondering if $300 for the Carhartt Gardner WORKMAXX is a good deal (retail at about $500)?

Seems not very popoular although quite limited run according to Hypebeast (150-200)

obos

Post by obos » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:22 am

Thank you very much for the info.. I was wondering do you know anyone who would sell any of the apes?
I am totally fine with any colour... I just want to own at least one of them so much :)
also, can you tell me roughly how tall they are? I have no idea about their dimensions :)
SpecialKAC18 wrote:
obos wrote:Hello all,

I've just decided to hunt down the apes from the X-Laugh series. I know some are standard and there are also rare versions but can someone tell me a fair price 'range' for the apes? I have absolutely no idea what kind of a budget I should be looking at..

I also want to add the 12 inch black and white Crazy Michael figures to my collection.. Can someone tell me around how much I should pay for those?

Most important of all, are there counterfeit/fake replicas of the figures I mention above? If there are, what are the details I should check/avoid on the figures?

May the force be with you all!
You’re looking at about $300 for the standard colors, closer to $500 for rarer colors. At least that’s what it’s been in recent years. The biggest problem is that they come up so rarely that it’s a sellers market, so asking prices are generally higher.
Try Not! Do, or Do Not... There is No Try...

SpecialKAC18

Post by SpecialKAC18 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:50 pm

obos wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:22 am
Thank you very much for the info.. I was wondering do you know anyone who would sell any of the apes?
I am totally fine with any colour... I just want to own at least one of them so much :)
also, can you tell me roughly how tall they are? I have no idea about their dimensions :)
SpecialKAC18 wrote:
obos wrote:Hello all,

I've just decided to hunt down the apes from the X-Laugh series. I know some are standard and there are also rare versions but can someone tell me a fair price 'range' for the apes? I have absolutely no idea what kind of a budget I should be looking at..

I also want to add the 12 inch black and white Crazy Michael figures to my collection.. Can someone tell me around how much I should pay for those?

Most important of all, are there counterfeit/fake replicas of the figures I mention above? If there are, what are the details I should check/avoid on the figures?

May the force be with you all!
You’re looking at about $300 for the standard colors, closer to $500 for rarer colors. At least that’s what it’s been in recent years. The biggest problem is that they come up so rarely that it’s a sellers market, so asking prices are generally higher.
Unfortunately, I don’t know anyone looking to sell. There is at least one on eBay, but it’s super expensive- close to $900. The preview thumbnail doesn’t show it- just the packaging.

They are fairly small- only about 6” tall.
Good transactions with: daimyo, gonedaddyfinch (2x), Cornbluth, dunnydummy, NYC.Parce, fdavis138, eckotyper, NSTNATE, HeyJB, broke4toys, conchan (2x), BabyGerald, Dustygarage, Vinylassasin (2x), bloc115, justalilodreamer, MrJames, Chapper, blackicex, supershallow, geoffcuddy, Jackcuzzy, pugspaw, Fliptrickz916, lui, pys111, twentytwo, topnotchchach, flabby (8x), Rgon81, drewproduces, raphyki

Kaws and more for sale.

Looking for: Michael Lau Fingercroxx

SpecialKAC18

Post by SpecialKAC18 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:15 pm

After years of checking eBay every night waiting for a Maharishi X-Laugh to pop up, I finally succeeded tonight. I didn’t even bother trying to put in a best offer because I didn’t want to have to wait years for another opportunity. Finally, I can put this one to rest!
Good transactions with: daimyo, gonedaddyfinch (2x), Cornbluth, dunnydummy, NYC.Parce, fdavis138, eckotyper, NSTNATE, HeyJB, broke4toys, conchan (2x), BabyGerald, Dustygarage, Vinylassasin (2x), bloc115, justalilodreamer, MrJames, Chapper, blackicex, supershallow, geoffcuddy, Jackcuzzy, pugspaw, Fliptrickz916, lui, pys111, twentytwo, topnotchchach, flabby (8x), Rgon81, drewproduces, raphyki

Kaws and more for sale.

smpt

Post by smpt » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:52 am

SpecialKAC18 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:15 pm
After years of checking eBay every night waiting for a Maharishi X-Laugh to pop up, I finally succeeded tonight. I didn’t even bother trying to put in a best offer because I didn’t want to have to wait years for another opportunity. Finally, I can put this one to rest!
The seller from Greece? (I take it, that’s the sellers Bill. He had an online store years ago and managed to sell the xLauhgs at retail).

They have some classics up for sale.
My Collection of Peecols

LAU SFCC GPS For Sale

vinylhammer wrote:FYou wouldn't believe that 3A has it's own, entire forum would you. Plus all they ever say is, "has your blah blah TK turned up yet", "no, i've been waiting for 2 years".

SpecialKAC18

Post by SpecialKAC18 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:31 pm

smpt wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:52 am
SpecialKAC18 wrote:
The seller from Greece? (I take it, that’s the sellers Bill. He had an online store years ago and managed to sell the xLauhgs at retail).

Yup- Greek seller. That makes sense that he used to run a store- he was very responsive and communicative. That makes me remember- the only other opportunity I ever had to buy the MHI version was from your buddy jackcuzzy. I would have bought his but the X-Laugh he sold me previously took months to arrive. :lol:

How much were the X-Laughs original retail??

Kaws and more for sale.

smpt

Post by smpt » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:26 pm

SpecialKAC18 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:31 pm
smpt wrote:
SpecialKAC18 wrote:

Yup- Greek seller. That makes sense that he used to run a store- he was very responsive and communicative. That makes me remember- the only other opportunity I ever had to buy the MHI version was from your buddy jackcuzzy. I would have bought his but the X-Laugh he sold me previously took months to arrive. :lol:

I think they were £45 (all Michael Lau figures more or less retailed for £45 in the UK - except the small sets and ny fats with the tattoo figure included). I remember Bill had them on his store for €99, sold out in seconds. Barenomore was the store name.

I did buy all the Mhi X Laugh set figures (burger, trooper etc) from Jack, but I had all the apes already. The original version of the ape was the hardest to find.
My Collection of Peecols

LAU SFCC GPS For Sale

vinylhammer wrote:FYou wouldn't believe that 3A has it's own, entire forum would you. Plus all they ever say is, "has your blah blah TK turned up yet", "no, i've been waiting for 2 years".

SpecialKAC18

Post by SpecialKAC18 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:51 pm

smpt wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:26 pm
SpecialKAC18 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:31 pm
smpt wrote:

I think they were £45 (all Michael Lau figures more or less retailed for £45 in the UK - except the small sets and ny fats with the tattoo figure included). I remember Bill had them on his store for €99, sold out in seconds. Barenomore was the store name.

I did buy all the Mhi X Laugh set figures (burger, trooper etc) from Jack, but I had all the apes already. The original version of the ape was the hardest to find.
Which one was the original version? I assume the regular-looking black and white one?

I still want to track down an all white. I've only had one opportunity to buy it. I messed up and bought the black one instead. Now the black one seems like it’s up for sale regularly and the white one is nowhere to be found.

Kaws and more for sale.

obos

Post by obos » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:01 am

SpecialKAC18 wrote:
Oh man :( you literally stole it away from me... Happy to know it went to another person who was looking for it for years though.. I sent him my best offer, we were negotiating on the price. and during that moment you just bought it :( I should have known the rarity and acted immediately but being a PhD student with limited budget I just didn't have the full price :( Congratulations.. It will probably be another 5 years until I come across one...

SpecialKAC18

Post by SpecialKAC18 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:27 am

obos wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:01 am
SpecialKAC18 wrote:
Oh man :( you literally stole it away from me... Happy to know it went to another person who was looking for it for years though.. I sent him my best offer, we were negotiating on the price. and during that moment you just bought it :( I should have known the rarity and acted immediately but being a PhD student with limited budget I just didn't have the full price :( Congratulations.. It will probably be another 5 years until I come across one...
Sorry man- gutted. Believe you me, I feel your pain. I had a WTB post since 2010 looking for it! That’s one of the reasons above I mentioned you just sort of have to grab what you can.

What price point are you comfortable with? If another pops up in that range, I’ll just buy it and sell you one of my normal versions. You can change the faces, hats and hands on them so it’s hard to part with multiples of a color way (i.e. you can have two of the same set and make them look different).

Also, what are you studying?

Kaws and more for sale.

obos

Post by obos » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:49 am

SpecialKAC18 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:27 am
obos wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:01 am
SpecialKAC18 wrote:
Sorry man- gutted. Believe you me, I feel your pain. I had a WTB post since 2010 looking for it! That’s one of the reasons above I mentioned you just sort of have to grab what you can.

What price point are you comfortable with? If another pops up in that range, I’ll just buy it and sell you one of my normal versions. You can change the faces, hats and hands on them so it’s hard to part with multiples of a color way (i.e. you can have two of the same set and make them look different).

Also, what are you studying?
Thank you for the kind reply and the support :) After learning you have been after him since 2010, I feel much more happy.. We all know how it feels like to hunt for a Holy Grail for years and years and years.. so I am honestly very happy you got him.. I have around $250-300 but if another Maharishi pops up, I will not hesitate to spend what you have spent and then deal with the trouble of being broke for weeks afterwards :) I study industrial design and my focus area is novel interaction models in future generation electronic musical insturments :) if for any reason you decide to sell ANY of your X-Laugh gorillas I would be forever grateful :)

obos

Post by obos » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:32 am

Can someone who owns the all black X-Laugh gorilla post a photo of him and all his accessories? I need to know how many sets of hands and faces and clothing he comes with.. Thanks

smpt

Post by smpt » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:48 am

obos wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:32 am
Can someone who owns the all black X-Laugh gorilla post a photo of him and all his accessories? I need to know how many sets of hands and faces and clothing he comes with.. Thanks
2 faces
Two hands
One hat
My Collection of Peecols

LAU SFCC GPS For Sale