The Usugrow Thread

A forum for general discussions about urban vinyl, boutique toys, & toy artists.

Moderator: Kidrobot Guru

Jfactor

Re: The Usugrow Thread

Post by Jfactor » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:19 pm

Emailed them about ordering two, got a response back about one. :(

Hopefully I'll hear back again tonight and they'll let me order two. Fingers crossed I kept my English simple enough so they'll understand and fix it before sending me an invoice. [-o<

mikashroom

Post by mikashroom » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:15 pm

Since this release has a chase (so higher ed. size) and SCs haven't exactly sold instantly in past, I'm assuming you don't need to worry about time here.
Please help me find THESE

Jfactor

Post by Jfactor » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:55 pm

I wouldn't say having a chase would make it a higher run size necessarily. If anything, I thought this run be would be less than previous SC's since this is the first full color edition plus the price was higher. But yeah Im not too worried!

Zombiekel

Post by Zombiekel » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:02 pm

9 times out of 10 a chase or colour variant comes from the fact the the factory or person in this case is using another coloured vinyl at the same time so it's actually a cheaper way of producing more.
The good thing about Secretbase (and Super 7) is that they never release their numbers as this stops flippers just buying the short run pieces.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Twitter - @Zombiekel
Instagram - @Zombiekel
My Rotocasted Collection - http://rotocasted.com/zombiekel/collection/
Great transactions with: plastech, Xeneize666, whip_pie, oldguard, apc, shakey, Tominator, apeboy, useless toys, Zukaty, shrubs, JoelyV, johnrussellf, Korky-Kat, Kiedoy, Soft As Sin, Kiba, Mister Rollover, conseptic, squarebackmatt, gr4eme, polystyrene, yOme, quentdiggy, alffx

noeleaser

Post by noeleaser » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:44 pm

Ath wrote:
noeleaser wrote: Wow..

This is not good either..

It's like the ultimate oxymoron.

Taking an amazing sculpt like Usugrow's Rebel Ink and trying to make it work on the crappiest, factory-made, bullish!t is not at all appealing or interesting. Can we please stop putting up all these terrible customs in the thread and keep the thread on point?
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Come on over to the Coarse thread Mika, you can post customs and tribute pieces to your heart's delight.
Customs are one thing, that Funko BS isn't even executed well.

Yeah, Mika, post those awful customs over there please..
Collection Pics
Trampt Profile
Instagram
For Trade
For Sale

"Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage..."
- William S. Burroughs

noeleaser

Post by noeleaser » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:54 pm

Taking an amazing sculpt like Usugrow's Rebel Ink and trying to make it work on the crappiest, factory-made, bullish!t is not at all appealing or interesting. Can we please stop putting up all these terrible customs in the thread and keep the thread on point?
Yeah, Mika, post those awful customs over there please..
Too much Skullbrain lately..
Collection Pics
Trampt Profile
Instagram
For Trade
For Sale

"Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage..."
- William S. Burroughs

The_Earl

Post by The_Earl » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:17 pm

If this thread was just absolutely buzzing everyday with new posts about legitimate releases and news about the artist and manufacturer I'm sure you'd have a point about interrupting it with these inspired customs. However, the thread goes pretty quiet in between releases and you never know when something like a Pawnny-esque piece might show itself amongst the otherwise less impressive customs.

In regards to the Funko based custom...it was mentioned that it was the guys first custom, so I'm sure some leniency can be given to its lack of professional execution as well him using an inexpensive (though obviously loathed) platform.
Those who dance are considered insane by those that can't hear the music.
-G.Carlin

Trampt
Looking to Buy
Sale Thread

Good Sellers: coreyxc4, thndrstrk, Manga_Spawn, Teimaru, w33zy16, Ghost, (nice dream), griffndunn, malac_cj, frozen_empire, glock325, therealchinaman, Chapper, ibewdunnyla, c.feng, Paul (local pickup)
Good Buyers: IndiePendent79, christopherswalls, yo0, toyJerk, montecito101
Good Trades: Jfactor

noeleaser

Post by noeleaser » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:33 pm

Yeah, I was being harsh, I'll admit it.

Apologies all around, sorry for the negative vibes.
Collection Pics
Trampt Profile
Instagram
For Trade
For Sale

- William S. Burroughs

Ath

Post by Ath » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:47 pm

All good brother, just bugs me when people start dumping all over Mika.

Resume Usugrow discussion 8)
60+ Buy/Sell/Trade transactions: http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=253456

Trampt: http://trampt.com/users/Athyndir/have

Looking for COARSE: Loser Jaws (Blush) and 1:3 Chopper

noeleaser

Post by noeleaser » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:06 am

Got my invoice today!!! :D
Collection Pics
Trampt Profile
Instagram
For Trade
For Sale

- William S. Burroughs

Jfactor

Post by Jfactor » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:18 pm

I got my order straightened out so I should be getting mine soon too! :rock:

Zombiekel

Post by Zombiekel » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:56 am

Mine landed today.
They're pretty badass too!
The standard issue is by far the best release of the SC yet.

Twitter - @Zombiekel
Instagram - @Zombiekel
My Rotocasted Collection - http://rotocasted.com/zombiekel/collection/
Great transactions with: plastech, Xeneize666, whip_pie, oldguard, apc, shakey, Tominator, apeboy, useless toys, Zukaty, shrubs, JoelyV, johnrussellf, Korky-Kat, Kiedoy, Soft As Sin, Kiba, Mister Rollover, conseptic, squarebackmatt, gr4eme, polystyrene, yOme, quentdiggy, alffx

halfapparition

Post by halfapparition » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:23 pm

i want to like the SCs but i just cant get into them.
from SKET
"total disgrace, alot of artists have been screwed by mindstyle, this is a claim that can be backed up BIGTIME!. In fact we could write a book on it! I don't have a grudge cause my situation has been done n gone, but i know of many other HUNGRY people wanting to produce work who will never see what they so rightly deserve, payment and samples, and whatever mindstyle decides to do with your art...you will have no say or control"

FUREEK

Post by FUREEK » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:07 pm

Rebel Ink vs Debris customs I'm working on this week for designer con.

Jfactor

Post by Jfactor » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:43 pm

Those are sick Fureek! Im especially fond of the Rebel body / Debris head, cant wait to see em painted up! :rock:

I feel ya Half, thats why Ive waited so long to hop on one, but I think Im gonna be pretty happy with this one. Now Im gonna want the regular Ink to match!

FUREEK

Post by FUREEK » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:36 pm

Thanks bud :D I'm eager to paint them up as well.

Jfactor

Post by Jfactor » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:41 pm

No chase for the SC, but I do like it a lot!

Looking to trade my HeyKirk Captain for Inks btw, holler!

mikashroom

Post by mikashroom » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:25 pm

Okay so sorry for being somewhat absent here as there was some talk about my post.

I originally had a few paragraphs in response to Noel asking me to stop posting 'awful' customs, but it just seemed like too much. I'll write it again now:

Thank you Earl for pointing out that this thread is pretty quiet nowadays. I personally enjoyed watching the process of the rebel pop being made and thought that it was done well. Seriously. Just take out the part that it was done on a Funko. Iskandhar did a good job capturing Usugrow's style considering it was on a completely different platform. Now back to the fact that it was on a Funko piece. I know we all agree that pops cannot even compare with designer toys and after giving this a second thought I admit, I feel like for him to put Usugrow's legendary design on one is a slightly odd thing to do. But it does not bother me. This may be due to my age and therefore lack of wisdom or etiquette (compared to you all), but I just don't get offended by it. Anyways after the bottom of this post I will stop posting customs that are possibly unethical.

The reason I wanted to wait before posting is because I had a project very close to being picture-worthy that I am now ready to share....!

(Open the images in a new window to see them bigger)

FUREEK

Post by FUREEK » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:05 pm

The reason I wanted to wait before posting is because I had a project very close to being picture-worthy that I am now ready to share....!

(Open the images in a new window to see them bigger)[/quote]

:shock: that's effing cool!

noeleaser

Post by noeleaser » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:14 am

mikashroom wrote:Okay so sorry for being somewhat absent here as there was some talk about my post.

I originally had a few paragraphs in response to Noel asking me to stop posting 'awful' customs, but it just seemed like too much. I'll write it again now:

Thank you Earl for pointing out that this thread is pretty quiet nowadays. I personally enjoyed watching the process of the rebel pop being made and thought that it was done well. Seriously. Just take out the part that it was done on a Funko. Iskandhar did a good job capturing Usugrow's style considering it was on a completely different platform. Now back to the fact that it was on a Funko piece. I know we all agree that pops cannot even compare with designer toys and after giving this a second thought I admit, I feel like for him to put Usugrow's legendary design on one is a slightly odd thing to do. But it does not bother me. This may be due to my age and therefore lack of wisdom or etiquette (compared to you all), but I just don't get offended by it. Anyways after the bottom of this post I will stop posting customs that are possibly unethical.

(Open the images in a new window to see them bigger)
Damn dude.. Way to come correct.

This is super fresh! I'm very impressed.. ;)
Collection Pics
Trampt Profile
Instagram
For Trade
For Sale

- William S. Burroughs

Wilko1212

Post by Wilko1212 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:13 am

I'll second that. Great work Mika!
Wilko1212
ADVANCE UPON ME BRETHREN!!

Instagram: @wilko1212

Want: http://trampt.com/users/Wilks1212/want

Great Transactions With: turbobert, Nebulon5, redcumgum, Actual Size, baby cheeses, jollybungle (X2), =DuNnYnNuD=, lazarus, FistfulOfBunnies, Nicedream, spoileralert, hellscrape(X2), noeleaser, w33zy16, gmiddleswarth, c.feng, griffndunn (X4), mako, tjpresley, jfactor13, Dab City 2, shrubs, iron paw, daveleeuk, StefanieG (X2), ralmeidavargas, Gremio (X2), smithy24, Merlin (X2), JayPee, Vinyl fan, Kidglasgow (X2), Wire.Wolf, KIDCANNON10, Flinst0wned, ajc (X2), 666ways2love, endo24 (X2), TRJH1991, Ath, snarebum, paul

eckotyper

Post by eckotyper » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:45 pm

you obviously should know that i am a huge usugrow fan.. the sc though... just doesnt do it for me... i have the proto because yes its cool in clear form. but ehhh.. a new head to sell you 20+ more of the same sculpt... im good. i do like the yellow though... wish it would be on a RI...

RI is RI and thats why its soo good... the Rebel Captain works well and always marbled which makes it fun as well.

Jfactor

Post by Jfactor » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:27 pm

Pretty sweet Rebel Captain up on Mandarake right now!

http://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/deta ... 4&ref=list

FUREEK

Post by FUREEK » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:20 am

Here are the painted pieces I am putting together for Designer Con. They're still missing accessories and I haven't attached them because they don't have their clear coats yet. I'm waiting until I finish all of the toys that I'm working on so I can dedicate one day to clear coating them.
This is what I have so far.

mikashroom

Post by mikashroom » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:57 pm

Dude, that paint is SICK- You gotta tell me how you did that...very good looking indeed.

Can't wait to see them finished now haha.

Also just wondering are you planning on heating it up again to get the head on the ink's body? Or would that ruin the paint...I literally have no idea. Or were you planning to cut the mushroom 'neck' off and glue the head on?