forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174  Next
 Post subject: Re: Itokin news
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:40 am 

You guys see Kazu's new collabo with Mirocktoy? That is a really interesting combination considering the kind of stuff Mirocktoy generally produces. This figure is of an old manga (60s) and TV anime (70s) character called Enma-kun who the nephew of the King of the Yokai (I think I have that right...) and he came to protect people from bad yokai. He has a hat that is alive and a sidekick who is half kappa and half frog (interesting parents...) called Kappaeru. That name is a mix of the words 'kappa' and 'kaeru' (frog in Japanese). The figure will be available at Wonderfest 2017.

Here's a slightly more modern take on the character.

Good deals: dunnybunny, geoffcuddy, flabby, tommynathan, los507, SaintofSpinners, originalkaws, jonne14aj, cursetheseen, Creaturion, Just-Dan, gonedaddyfinch, zincsaucier442, a.tom, HomerJ66, cheerspiers, dingobean, mrburgess, 95nikehead, shark, redblueyellow, dds3254, BlueMonk, jcrazy, azjpeg, jtoki and many more...
My Sales Page // My Flickr

Why do I collect toys? -- They make me smile.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:34 pm 

Looks neat. Need to see the final product though.

When he taught his clay class here about 3 years back he showed be lots of drawings of ideas and so many I would want and be crazy for. Always wish he was producing more but always happy I get what I can.

Sales:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10724803@N ... 066385022/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:04 am 

I do wonder at what price will that Dcon astronaut get sold at as I've seen the BIN price drop slowly over time.

Doodle Dunnys

Good/Bad Sellers/Buyers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:37 pm 

Haha, yeah, I've noticed that too. I'd maybe jump in at $100. I'm not in love with the color enough to spend any more than that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:19 am 

I put this up last month on Instagram but completely forgot to mention it here. Better late than never I guess...
I recently got this care package from Kazu. He could not have known this at the time but two days before this package arrived I learned one of my past students, whom I knew quite well had committed suicide. She was a really unique kid who really took to this art toy world and actually created one of the coolest custom Foomis from a blank I gave her. This wonderful package came at just the right time to remind me of how amazing people are. These cookies are the same ones my wife and I gave guests at our wedding in Japan. Again, I don't think he could have known this but things often have a way of working out like this eh. This is my first IP astronaut, couldn't be happier about adding it to my little collection of pieces by one of the nicest people out there!

Good deals: dunnybunny, geoffcuddy, flabby, tommynathan, los507, SaintofSpinners, originalkaws, jonne14aj, cursetheseen, Creaturion, Just-Dan, gonedaddyfinch, zincsaucier442, a.tom, HomerJ66, cheerspiers, dingobean, mrburgess, 95nikehead, shark, redblueyellow, dds3254, BlueMonk, jcrazy, azjpeg, jtoki and many more...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:08 pm 

Kazuhiko is magic.

Sales:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:45 pm 

Oh, if I had the scratch. One of Kazu's original custom one-off resin NAno figures is up on Mandarake and it is in one of my favourite colour schemes. Looks like a bumblebee!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:25 am 

Yardarm51 wrote:
Oh, if I had the scratch. One of Kazu's original custom one-off resin NAno figures is up on Mandarake and it is in one of my favourite colour schemes. Looks like a bumblebee!

Guess who just created an account for Mandarake...

And geez, I don't get how Japanese design is amazing but their web design is so bad.

Doodle Dunnys

Good/Bad Sellers/Buyers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:44 am 

Congrats on the purchase.

I'd excuse Mandrake as being an older, data driven site but then this is true of many Japanese sites. Interesting observation I hadn't made before but now can't think of any good ones.

Sales:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:23 pm 

Yeah, I've been wondering for years why Japanese websites are so behind in terms of design. Their stuff looks like it's from the 90s. The only things missing are low res the spinning globe gif and the visit counter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:06 am 

We're getting super off topic but might as well since the forums are pretty dead. Found a good, informative article when I did a Google search.

http://designmadeinjapan.com/magazine/web-design/why-japanese-web-design-is-so-different/

Doodle Dunnys

Good/Bad Sellers/Buyers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:08 pm 

Sales:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:15 pm 

Couple of things. First, Saint, amazing pic as always! Second, remember that Japan did not jump on the broadband wagon until way after the US, Canada and western Europe. I didn't have internet at my place there until 2003 or 2004 or something like that. Had to use internet cafés. On top of that while the west was scrubbing around with crappy monochrome screens and voice only functionality on their phones over there each cell company had their own intranet. Large companies etc. had to make a separate site for each phone company's closed system and as each phone company had a completely different underlying infrastructure they couldn't really apply lessons learned in one area to another. On top of all of this it is still a cash based society and economy. Most transactions are still done using paper money and electronic transfers are done using bank transfers which are so ubiquitous that every ATM in the country has that functionality. However, that means you need to go to an ATM to transfer funds instead of plugging in a credit card number. Most folks don't have credit cards and Japan's Paypal is so incredibly borked due to crippling legislation designed to counter fraud. So while online commerce is growing it is still years behind what we have in the west. And as we all know growth occurs where the money is. Finally keep in mind that this is a society with fewer and fewer young people who would take advantage of solid online structures. The old folk are still content to pay all their bills at the post office as they have always done. As you can tell I've kinda thought about this a bunch. Used to drive me absolutely bananas while I was living there. I'm sure it's better now but they still have yet to fully catch up.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:40 am 

Great info. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:45 am 

That's some super interesting info. Thanks!

Doodle Dunnys

Good/Bad Sellers/Buyers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:03 pm 

So it's actually the vinyl version... I was soo excited to get a resin piece.

Not sure I'm crazy that I paid $200 for the vinyl version when I sold a red nano for like $30 a year or two ago. (Though I do like this colorway better) Yard, did you say this is a one-off? Do you have any more info about it? So I can at least feel better about my purchase :(

Doodle Dunnys

Good/Bad Sellers/Buyers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:19 pm 

That is a one off. I think from one of the One-Up wonderfest shows. Was the smaller green Nano resin? I think only the Kawadoji's are resin.

Sales:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:38 pm 

SaintOfSpinners wrote:
That is a one off. I think from one of the One-Up wonderfest shows. Was the smaller green Nano resin? I think only the Kawadoji's are resin.

Ahh that helps soothe the pain a little.

I think so? This was before I was into his work and had the fund to even purchase any so I could be totally wrong. A quick Google search turns up Zinc's photo captioned "Itokin Park - Design Festa NAno vs. Vinyl Pulse Exhibition (resin) Robo"

Doodle Dunnys

Good/Bad Sellers/Buyers

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:27 am 

Want : http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=165779
Sell :http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=166308
My Collection http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/articlelist_1594063975_5_1.html

Last edited by tsui1105 on Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:41 am 

The resin pieces are great but they always scared me. I do live in an earthquake zone.

Sales:

Last edited by SaintOfSpinners on Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:38 pm 

Yeah, the very first NAnos are resin and they are that smaller size. The description of the one you bought said it was a one off and I'm sure I've seen it in one of the old pics of One up's booth fro the old days when Kazu was working with them regularly. I apologize, I thought for sure that one was a resin one with that paint design but be assured it is definitely one of Kazu's hand paint originals.

Seeing your Kawa I went back to look for a pic of my own custom from Kazu but I realized I've never taken a colour solo shot of it! Gonna have to get on that. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:04 pm 

Yeah, I got excited when I saw the description and was definitely nudged over by your endorsement but no worries, super happy to have a handpainted one-off piece. And now that I've created a Mandarake account it's opened a new world of toys for me... Not good when I'm trying to do the whole minimalism thing.

Doodle Dunnys

Good/Bad Sellers/Buyers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:27 am 

Keep a regular eye on that shop page. Occasionally they have things on there for insane prices, both high and low. I got a Sam Flores Wyger for ¥840 once. That was around $10 then. I expected it to be fairly marked up but it arrived mint, in box! I also got one of the the very rare Kaijin prototype Fulcraim figures for about ¥3800 (about $40 at the time). Also you just see some of the weirdest stuff over there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:39 pm 

Two Garurus in the Kidrobot Buy-Sell-Trade group on Facebook for $130 being shipped from the Philippines if anyone's interested.

Doodle Dunnys

Good/Bad Sellers/Buyers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:56 pm 

Great colors!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4342 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174  Next