forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:19 pm 

For those that attended SDCC, what are your highs and lows from this year?
Please share.

spawnonfire,playdoh,eoin3,gtcowgirl,pennjones,twotwelve,jkspade,sleepboy, ontheDL,jager,SnorseWhisperer,tunneler66,c-money,toyzinmyattik,kamacoatl, gonedaddyfinch,alax,dxjock,benvt,organicsalsa,ericericeric,The BoyWunder, crappytrix,cheeky,theboywil,crystaldeth,jlm,Plur511,KinglyDecay,sykogirl, Danimalx, jbar,snooker,HaHaAjp,pop77,buzzelightyear,HSAINGMIN,guzaku,blackey1,Danny909,FoT,robbieXeff,jshea,xbtran,kenobi822

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:33 pm 

My high were meeting some people on here from the forums and the panels and seeing many of the great artists and getting everything that I wanted. Helping out the people I muled for. Now just hoping everything got there on time and in good shape. So far so good. It also seemed like everything worked out for me I got out of the Simpsons panel and went right to KR. I was like 2nd to last in line they allowed in to get the mishka labbit signed. It seemed like they had about 10 left of them and jpk.

My lows were the lines. Some of them were crazy. Also some hiccups with people I muled for. I had a girlfriend call me and told me not to buy her bf any more pieces. It was def a interesting year. Not really sure if I will return next year. Think I want to focus on dcon more. We shall see.

thanks to Vapdee, Babyfreak6, Metatron1050, and Freakinkram88 for the Obey Dunnys

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:33 pm 

Highs were being able to pick up everything KR related that I wanted.

Lows: Kozik not doodling on my munny. :( He took a pic with me and signed my sarge grenade top though.

Great Mules: endo24

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:52 pm 

stonecutterjeff wrote:
I had a girlfriend call me and told me not to buy her bf any more pieces.

Ha!!! Did you obey?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:11 pm 

Ugh. So exhausted. Finally shipped out the last of my muled items. Those Hasbro ones were a b**ch. The damn Thunderbolts set was 26" long yet really skinny. Try finding a box for that. I think I cleared out every LA Weekly newspaper bin within three neighborhoods just to pack them securely.

Pros: Lots of great toys this year. It also seemed less hectic. Circus Posterus (at CBSS) was deserted when I showed up on Thursday. The Bootman Bootleg Kaijus at Toy Toyko only had 5-6 people lined up. KR made people with exhibitor or professional badges come back later for wristbands, and it seems most of the flippers didn't even bother, as they even had a few things left on Sunday morning. Lots of stuff was available preview night, which keeps things nice and calm.

Cons: SDCC is getting more crowded every year, and the security people are getting angrier and ruder. In years of going to this thing, I've never been shouted at so much. There also seemed to be a lot fewer interesting visuals on the exhibitor floor. Other than the Walking Dead exhibit and Scrooge McDuck money bin, there really wasn't much added this year.

References: Squidnik, halfapparition, foto junkaay, 1v1artin, NinJaSkills, hova, gmiddleswarth, frankthefish, Chauskoskis, ClarkR, rundmb, reactor88, jennipho, thetonybot, 666ways2love, Quest_Ion, NSTNATE, SecurityGeek, dimply_gecko, tsoli727, Dupper, BOOKER73, zombiemonkie, BRADLEYAFRANK, busizem718 + more (146 total transactions)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:38 pm 

(nice dream) wrote:
stonecutterjeff wrote:
I had a girlfriend call me and told me not to buy her bf any more pieces.

Ha!!! Did you obey?

No

thanks to Vapdee, Babyfreak6, Metatron1050, and Freakinkram88 for the Obey Dunnys

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:48 am 

paul wrote:
Cons: There also seemed to be a lot fewer interesting visuals on the exhibitor floor. Other than the Walking Dead exhibit and Scrooge McDuck money bin, there really wasn't much added this year.

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I'm used to taking so many cool pictures of awesome exhibits and I since I didn't do that this year, I felt I perhaps missed something. No movie vehicles that I saw either. The WD was awesome. I got a kick out of the Adventure Time Ice King.

It felt really quiet from a volume standpoint. Friends made some good points that without video games next to the cultyard, it was quieter. Also, there was alot less shouting from the lack of a G4 booth

sales thread http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?p=2065190#p2065190
100+ Buying, selling, muling transactions over the years. Plenty of references.

>>>DO NOT SUPPORT DEKORNER, Toy Tokyo
Bad dealings/shady people: griffndunn, Ktnboy, QNguyen/TRgear<<<

Last edited by 666ways2love on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:51 pm 

Got everything that I wanted toy wise. Got to meet my favorite band Weezer. Got a signed poster, a high five and a "yeah b*tch" from Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad) right before he caused a riot at Urban Outfitters. Got into Always Sunny, Community, Adventure Time, Childrens Hospital and Regular Show signings. And of course the Coarse show was amazing. All in all it was one of the best years that i've gone.

That said, it seems like there were a lot more things to do offsite this year which is awesome. The only problem is that the offsite places dont really know what they are getting into and lack organization and security. I saw a kid almost get really hurt at Urban Outfitters for Aaron Paul. People standing on cars and such.

At the con itself, the problem has always been security. Theres just no reason to be that big of a d*ck to anyone. I dont even have an example of one instance just an entire weekend of being yelled at for no reason at all. As far as lines go, I always think that this is the year we dont get as lucky because the lines get longer and longer. We have lucked out every year and we have not changed our system. We get up early and have a game plan and somehow thats enough to get into a lot of cool sh*t.

PS: It was lovely meeting tons of boardies and seeing great friends from the past.

Good transactions with: Xmeat11ballX, GREG_DEEZEY, linh, loomisid, Maki Maki, halfapparition, Manga_Spawn, heebysdaman, Starlite, jaybi, silentjay, Marissaurus, quentdiggy, bigdaddyh, ketones, asprintingpress, bilbetsovic, spaghettee, the_don, tunneler66, moss420, haggard, restaurador, ontheDL, sumatra71, Turcicus, HeyJB, ZopBoy, Babyfreak6, wingnut80, mANNEe, eyeforaneye, haggard, hypnotiq, ChasBrock, dunnybunny, CMB, NotNotARobot, fragile, anubis2night, leinad, tobor2099, J3D1, chrisosaur, tekman8, D-LuX, achmad, 666ways2love, reganomics813, FericFanatic....

DO NOT DEAL WITH : bluegreenkey, takingbacktyler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:51 pm 

My Low was the Uglydoll booth selling out of their exclusive Icebat Hello Kitty on Preview night and trying every morning first thing to see if they had any and was denied. Or the super long Lego raffle lines.

But overall it was another great con.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:12 pm 

I agree, Secruity was terribly rude, borderlining on Abuse really.

Another low point was how my brother and I were treated by Nate at squid Kids Ink. We went every morning to get a Gold exclusive and he was not very helpful. He released 20 a day for 4 days(none were available Sun) which is not 150 units. Seriously, I get he might be tired but you need to treat customers better. Especially those who probably Blog for you and share your product releases, etc. Probably would have bought a bunch of stuff from the booth, if he weren't being such a DBag.

A high point was finding a Ryniak business card on the ground outside. Since I didn't want to interrupt him everytime I saw him.

Repeat, Nate from Squid Kids Ink, don't be a DBag in public.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:04 pm 

Highs:
-Getting 3 Apocalypse Dunnys the last day from a vendor that was selling them buy 2 get one free! I pulled: Huck Gee-Mohawk, Joe Ledbetter-The End is Near, AND Joe Ledbetter-The End is Here! :D
-Great selection of SDCC Exclusives: I landed Akuma Hello Kitty, Ryu Badtz Maru, Avi Arad edition Pac-Man, and 2 of the giant Uglydoll x Hello Kitty plush. Also Bondi's Akashi 5yl mashup of Mario x Mickey was pretty awesome.
-Most panels I saw, but my favorites were the Voice Actor Panels & Creative Directors of Dreamworks movies.

Lows:
-Swag, in general
-Uglydoll running out of vinyls within the first hour of preview night (while I was waiting in the Toynami line, although it paid off because I got Akuma Kitty :D )
-Security-VERY rude! I was surprised given how polite they were last year.
-Missing the Robot Chicken panel. :( Granted I got there right as it started, but last year there were even a few empty seats. This year it had a long line.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:26 pm 

this is a good topic...haha. :D

HIGHS: i was able to meet a lot more artists this year; got time to talk with them instead of the "hi/bye, thanks for buying my stuff." this was the first year that i brought a sketch book to con and it's almost filled!!! i was able to help one of my favorite artists out w/ a piece he wanted from hasbro and was given a generous gift! i'll post pics of it when i get home from work. i was able to mule most of the pieces requested without much trouble (other than waking up o' dark thrity). after several years of going to con, this was my first year to go to the MK battle at basic...pretty dope! met some new members from here and other boards. oh and...EWOKS!!!

LOs: although capcom, sony and all those other guys were on the other end of the con, they were still there. why be there when there's E3? ppl getting nuts over exclusives to the point where children are getting ran over! is a morpher or a monster high doll that serious to where you have to run a child over? i saw a couple of instances where the culprit didn't even apologize...and they knew what they did. security is security. i actually thought they did a better job than elite ever did. some ppl deserved to be yelled at, but that's my opinion. now parting the con like the red sea so that celebs can what through the aisle??? GTFO!!! they even held ppl in the bathrooms for that...stupid.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:43 am 

Freakinkram88 wrote:
Another low point was how my brother and I were treated by Nate at squid Kids Ink. We went every morning to get a Gold exclusive and he was not very helpful. He released 20 a day for 4 days(none were available Sun) which is not 150 units. Seriously, I get he might be tired but you need to treat customers better. Especially those who probably Blog for you and share your product releases, etc. Probably would have bought a bunch of stuff from the booth, if he weren't being such a DBag.

From what I understand over half of the 150 gold mini 10-dohs were sold on Preview Night, which was more than expected, hence why Nate had to ration out the remaining stock.

I chatted with him a bit about the kickstarter packages for series 2, and he told me how he was busy getting all that organized and packed up, then he had to do anime expo(or whatever its called) which was the week before sdcc, then he got sick right as sdcc got started.

Not trying at all to justify the way you were treated but having that much on his plate and having to spend 10 hours a day at sdcc while sick must not have been fun. Yes, customers should be treated with respect, and they should do the same.

I first met him at last year's sdcc and he was really cool. I had purchased the Luke Chueh mini 10 doh and he told me to come back for Luke's signing, which I forgot to, but at least he let me know about it.

I don't personally know him but I hope and believe that he really is not a dbag.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]