Post-SDCC issue. Deadbeat buyer.

It's that time again! SDCC 2012 is around the corner, so get ready! Here you can discuss everything SDCC!

Moderator: zonnie5

666ways2love

Post-SDCC issue. Deadbeat buyer.

Post by 666ways2love » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:16 pm

So I muled an item for a long standing member on KR. This item was not easy to get and was in very high demand. They fronted the money + tip. I came through on my end. I sent them a text during the con when it was finally in hand. I drove home Monday after the con (July 16th). That night, I sent an email to everyone I muled for (probably like 12 people), that I would be contacting them within a week as I pack their stuff up and give them shipping quotes. Had this item packed and ready to go by Thursday July 19th. Emailed the person with shipping cost. No response. Emailed them again on July 24th. No response. Waited a while thinking maybe they are on vacation or something. Pmed them on here Aug 2nd. They read the message. No reply. They've been online since.

So question is, what to do. Literally this is the last con thing sitting in my house that is not mine. Everything has been shipped, everyone got their stuff, everyone was happy. Do I keep playing Mr. nice guy and give them ANOTHER chance. Or do I just say F-it, refund them what they paid and just sell it . Funny part was they were so hot to get their item that they even emailed while I was driving home from the con that Monday the 16th asking if I shipped the item out yet :roll:

EDIT: just saw they are trying to trade the figure they don't have yet for other things.
Last edited by 666ways2love on Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sales thread viewtopic.php?p=2065190#p2065190
100+ Buying, selling, muling transactions over the years. Plenty of references.

partyat2am

Re: Post-SDCC issue. Deadbeat buyer. Want opinions.

Post by partyat2am » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:24 pm

Refund and sell to me! Whatever it is.
Looking for APs: Flakes, Bernard, Chocolate/Vanilla Cupcake, Rupture
Twitter // Trampt // Trades // Transactions

mutantshark

Post by mutantshark » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:38 pm

refund? pssssh keep it :evil:
My collection: http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=190804
Looking for: Big Sal (Orange or maroon), Kidpunk 1980 (DK/silver/pink), LA Series Chad Phillips "Hollywood," Kozik kaiju/sofubi (certain colorways)

I have MULED for: clevetheripper, j0nwalsh, hu80, nameBRAND, rice_money, krash, broke4toys, HiJakk, ern3stoo, tron, f-cat20, NinJaSkills, ejholmes30, miami, merlin, hova, caswuun, and so many others...

Good transactions: SNEAKERHEAD1206, iliksprite, FericFanatic, oberon1128, tealady. yanksb11, buttoneyestoys, NinJaSkills, eghatch93, hellscrape, SigNewton, Neebles, mmmbraaains, etc
Bad Transactions: cut&pace

gmiddleswarth

Post by gmiddleswarth » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:40 pm

Wait, they already paid for it, but won't answer your messages to get the shipped to them? :-s

That's pretty strange. I could see them not answering the PMs if they owed you money. Not if it's already paid for though.

Are they reading your PMs?

666ways2love

Post by 666ways2love » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:57 pm

They read my very simple, polite pm. And have even posted in the forum since reading pm about trading the figure for something else they want

gmiddleswarth

Post by gmiddleswarth » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:02 pm

666ways2love wrote:They read my very simple, polite pm. And have even posted in the forum since reading pm about trading the figure for something else they want

Weird. I'd PM them one more time and if they don't answer then I'd just stash the figure a way for a while and wait for them to contact you. And, if they don't contact you in a couple months, then I'd say it's yours.

You shouldn't have to refund the money because you'd essentially be buying a figure you didn't intend on purchasing.

konfucious

Post by konfucious » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:18 pm

sounds like they are trying to flip it, and save on shipping by just having you ship direct to the new owner
Recommended:
anubis2night, broke4toys, bubblegumking, chasbrock, chenreaction, chronic, eckotyper, fliptrickz916, Devours, dimply_gecko, Drillone, FericFanatic, Floyd44, geoffcuddy, gmiddleswarth, gregm, HeyJB, hypnotic, J3D1, jeromeoutland, kirkusjones, mANNEe, mfmunny, MilanoSleep, Nicocato, Nikejerk, onetruescotty, OyabunTT, papparay, phienomenal, roguerebel, Ronin3801, Rsinart, saigonradio, 666ways2love, the-flip, The Octopus, TheMarkSewell, TiredChildren, video armageddon, WuzOne
Nicocato wrote:You seriously have a sketch fetish

N3rd Link Check out the new Blog and Podcast!

Pork

Post by Pork » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:36 pm

konfucious wrote:sounds like they are trying to flip it, and save on shipping by just having you ship direct to the new owner

This is the most logical analysis I've read for this issue.
But for god's sake, just respond to PM / email to at least give some clarity to you.

I have countless encounters with boardies (at 3A BST) that wanted to sell their stuffs but when I wrote a PM declaring my interest in their sale item and asking for a shipping quote, I don't get a response 50 - 60% of the time. He wanted to sell something right? How to sell when you don't get back to their potential buyer? :roll:

Scrow

Post by Scrow » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:09 pm

Thats to much sweat for a toy, just refund there money minus the tip (keep that) and sell it to a board member at a fair price.
GOOD TRANSACTIONS: -realtyguy808- -ianthegamer- -Ak4play- -pico_de_orizaba- -rstone010-
-surfjord- -mooshysushi- -Nicedream- -gokou105- -noname27- -HeyJB - -Eiji- -Rmetz27- -rjl-
-snooker- -DBAS- -mimicatl- -noname27- -Freakinkram88- -Bansheebeat- -Ottawa- -mavxb3-
-CasperNY- -Finnrcw- -theOutlaw- -therealchinaman- -geescube-

LTB http://trampt.com/users/Scrow/want

DrftDrgn21

Post by DrftDrgn21 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:15 pm

What item is it? If its a death head I want it! Lol

NinJaSkills

Post by NinJaSkills » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:32 pm

They paid up front the ghosted? Makes no sense :rolleyes:

I don't understand why people don't just answer when asked a question....One more PM with 1 day time limit. Then refund and move on.

Tanks for offering to mule for me this year. Very Cool and Kind of You
I'm trying to help some under privileged kids have a fun and warm Christmas AND give a way a bunch of cool stuff!!

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=240247

Please help out if you can and please sign up! Tis the season!!!

aruss

Post by aruss » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:03 pm

Pork wrote:
konfucious wrote:sounds like they are trying to flip it, and save on shipping by just having you ship direct to the new owner

THIS.

I would keep it once paypal claim period ends, at that point you could argue legal title. Especially if you contact him and tell him that you are adversely possessing it unless he contacts you within a reasonably time period. This may justified because he is clearly purposefully ignoring you.

aBAYBAY

Post by aBAYBAY » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:27 am

aruss wrote:
Pork wrote:

THIS.

I would keep it once paypal claim period ends, at that point you could argue legal title. Especially if you contact him and tell him that you are adversely possessing it unless he contacts you within a reasonably time period. This may justified because he is clearly purposefully ignoring you.

THIS! x2

If he was planning to just trade it/sell it off, he should still reply back at least. Its just courtesy. BTW, thanks for the mule! :rock:

paul

Post by paul » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:26 am

If you think you can sell it, the best thing to do is refund the money. Keeping the money and the item would be just plain wrong.
www.allvinyls.com

References: Squidnik, halfapparition, foto junkaay, 1v1artin, NinJaSkills, hova, gmiddleswarth, frankthefish, Chauskoskis, ClarkR, rundmb, reactor88, jennipho, thetonybot, 666ways2love, Quest_Ion, NSTNATE, SecurityGeek, dimply_gecko, tsoli727, Dupper, BOOKER73, zombiemonkie, BRADLEYAFRANK, busizem718 + more (146 total transactions)

saL

Post by saL » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:12 am

this definitely makes the most sense.. but they could be honest about it, and no problem..

paul wrote:Keeping the money and the item would be just plain wrong.

definitely wrong, and Im sure 666ways2love wasnt even considering that option...
GIVE TO CHARITY by buying toys/art - http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171281

Check out my Wall of Stache Fame collection!

I had pleasure doing business with: 666ways2love, demonio rojo, Rasa, g force, busizem718, APina, bluegreenkey, thisbwill, mitboi

gmiddleswarth

Post by gmiddleswarth » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:52 am

paul wrote:If you think you can sell it, the best thing to do is refund the money. Keeping the money and the item would be just plain wrong.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. If he makes a solid effort to contact the person and they read the PMs and don't respond, then that's not 666s problem. He shouldn't have to put in the effort to sell a figure that he didn't intend on purchasing. I don't see why he should have to do more work, when the buyer is being intentionally unresponsive.

Like I said before, I'd try and contact the person again and, if he still doesn't respond, just hang on to the figure for a week or two. If you still don't hear back, then the figure is yours. It's the buyers responsibility to reply to your messages if he wants the figure.

If the buyer wasn't reading the PMs or logging in to KR, then I'd say hold on to it for a while and, if he still doesn't respond, then refund the money. But it doesn't take long to respond to a fu(king PM, so, if he's reading them and still doesn't respond, then he's SOL.
Last edited by gmiddleswarth on Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

MinusOneMoose

Post by MinusOneMoose » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:15 am

Tell them that if they don't respond within 7 days, you are going to raffle it off and give all the proceeds to a charity of your choice.
You can call me Rob!

Rotocasted

Good Transactions: Nicocato (x2), NewAddictions, Amethyscape, Two Star, tracytho, johnrussellf, Dee Jay, zukaty, jstash, morlid, Zombiekel, nu2dis, houmanche

konfucious

Post by konfucious » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:19 am

i disagree... the buyer isn't paying a storage fee, so why should he be forced to store another box? Most collectors already have space issues, and im sure he wants whatever it is to be gone.
Recommended:
anubis2night, broke4toys, bubblegumking, chasbrock, chenreaction, chronic, eckotyper, fliptrickz916, Devours, dimply_gecko, Drillone, FericFanatic, Floyd44, geoffcuddy, gmiddleswarth, gregm, HeyJB, hypnotic, J3D1, jeromeoutland, kirkusjones, mANNEe, mfmunny, MilanoSleep, Nicocato, Nikejerk, onetruescotty, OyabunTT, papparay, phienomenal, roguerebel, Ronin3801, Rsinart, saigonradio, 666ways2love, the-flip, The Octopus, TheMarkSewell, TiredChildren, video armageddon, WuzOne
Nicocato wrote:You seriously have a sketch fetish

N3rd Link Check out the new Blog and Podcast!

ianthegamer

Post by ianthegamer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:34 am

I really dont get why people would keep the money and the item. Shows what kind of people are here on the boards. Hold onto it till you are able to sell at whatever price. keep what he gave you as tip and refund the retail cost.

You get your money plus the tip that was for the effort of muling if you resell and the guy gets his his money back.

Dont refund him anything till you find a buyer. that way you give him the chance to contact you and your not in the hole at any point.
You got a problem with Reptar? YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH ME!!!!-Adam DeMamp
successful transactions: Sale thread: My customs: my wants: My Collection:

gmiddleswarth

Post by gmiddleswarth » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:52 am

I just don't see why it should be 666s problem to have to sell the figure. If he makes a solid effort to get in touch with the buyer and the buyer is intentionally not responding, then that's the buyer's fault. 666 shouldn't have to do any extra work since he wouldn't have even bought the figure in the first place if it wasn't for this other boardie. He's not being dishonest or ripping anyone off, he's just doing what the buyer paid him to do. It's not his fault the buyer is shady or lazy or both.

If I was the buyer and had already paid someone to mule a figure for me and the buyer was PMing me for days/weeks and I read them and didn't respond, I would not expect the seller to refund my money, nor would I be upset if he didn't hold the figure for me forever. Now, it'd be a completely different story if the PMs weren't being read, but that is not the case.

ianthegamer

Post by ianthegamer » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:08 am

Its not his problem. He can just sit on the figure and the money till the guy gets back to him no skin off his back. Or he can sell it if he chooses get the money to cover what he put into it and refund the buyer everything minus mule tip.

so if you are the buyer you wouldn't at least want your money back? That doesnt make sense. I think its absurd to assume its alright to keep the item and the money as well over not getting shipping.

Like I said the best way to rid yourself of the problem is to find a buyer and if you do sell it to someone give the retail cost back to the "frosted flake".
Or keep the figure as if it is yours till the guy,if he ever does, says he wants it. I'm sure shipping is no more than 20$-25$ so its strange he wont just pay it but who really knows?

And im sure if the item was listed it would sell quickly. If the guy wanted it muled and it was a hard piece to get than there are others who would love to have it as well.
You got a problem with Reptar? YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH ME!!!!-Adam DeMamp
successful transactions: Sale thread: My customs: my wants: My Collection:

gmiddleswarth

Post by gmiddleswarth » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:38 am

ianthegamer wrote:So, if you are the buyer you wouldn't at least want your money back? That doesnt make sense. I think its absurd to assume its alright to keep the item and the money as well over not getting shipping.

Of course I would want my money back. But, would I expect to get my money back if it was MY FAULT that I didn't get the figure yet? Absolutely not. If I'm being lazy or trying to flip the figure and want to save a few dollars on shipping so I'm intentionally not responding, then it's my loss if the figure isn't there when I finally decide I want it.

The buyer has to have some responsibility here. It's not all on the seller. Like I said before, if the dude really wants his figure all he has to do is take 1 minute out of his day and reply to a PM, it's really not that difficult.

If its a figure that's an easy sale and 666 doesn't mind taking the time to sell it, then that's his choice and he can refund the money. I'd definitely be keeping the mule fee though since he essentially wasted his time picking the thing up. I'm just saying that I, personally, wouldn't want to waste the time selling a figure that I never wanted or intended on buying in the first place.

TheKnow

Post by TheKnow » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:58 am

ianthegamer wrote:I really dont get why people would keep the money and the item. Shows what kind of people are here on the boards. Hold onto it till you are able to sell at whatever price. keep what he gave you as tip and refund the retail cost.

You get your money plus the tip that was for the effort of muling if you resell and the guy gets his his money back.

Dont refund him anything till you find a buyer. that way you give him the chance to contact you and your not in the hole at any point.

gmiddleswarth wrote:I just don't see why it should be 666s problem to have to sell the figure. If he makes a solid effort to get in touch with the buyer and the buyer is intentionally not responding, then that's the buyer's fault. 666 shouldn't have to do any extra work since he wouldn't have even bought the figure in the first place if it wasn't for this other boardie. He's not being dishonest or ripping anyone off, he's just doing what the buyer paid him to do. It's not his fault the buyer is shady or lazy or both.

If I was the buyer and had already paid someone to mule a figure for me and the buyer was PMing me for days/weeks and I read them and didn't respond, I would not expect the seller to refund my money, nor would I be upset if he didn't hold the figure for me forever. Now, it'd be a completely different story if the PMs weren't being read, but that is not the case.

ianthegamer wrote:Its not his problem. He can just sit on the figure and the money till the guy gets back to him no skin off his back. Or he can sell it if he chooses get the money to cover what he put into it and refund the buyer everything minus mule tip.

so if you are the buyer you wouldn't at least want your money back? That doesnt make sense. I think its absurd to assume its alright to keep the item and the money as well over not getting shipping.

Like I said the best way to rid yourself of the problem is to find a buyer and if you do sell it to someone give the retail cost back to the "frosted flake".
Or keep the figure as if it is yours till the guy,if he ever does, says he wants it. I'm sure shipping is no more than 20$-25$ so its strange he wont just pay it but who really knows?

And im sure if the item was listed it would sell quickly. If the guy wanted it muled and it was a hard piece to get than there are others who would love to have it as well.

gmiddleswarth wrote:Of course I would want my money back. But, would I expect to get my money back if it was MY FAULT that I didn't get the figure yet? Absolutely not. If I'm being lazy or trying to flip the figure and want to save a few dollars on shipping so I'm intentionally not responding, then it's my loss if the figure isn't there when I finally decide I want it.

The buyer has to have some responsibility here. It's not all on the seller. Like I said before, if the dude really wants his figure all he has to do is take 1 minute out of his day and reply to a PM, it's really not that difficult.

If its a figure that's an easy sale and 666 doesn't mind taking the time to sell it, then that's his choice and he can refund the money. I'd definitely be keeping the mule fee though since he essentially wasted his time picking the thing up. I'm just saying that I, personally, wouldn't want to waste the time selling a figure that I never wanted or intended on buying in the first place.

666ways2love

Post by 666ways2love » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:34 am

You guys and gals all rock for various insight into the matter. For that I thank you.

I think course of action is going to be giving them another pm. If they don't respond, the figure gets sold to someone else. And I will use the part of the sale money to refund them just for the retail cost of the toy simply just to not cause a stink and make it seem like I am some shady mule that runs off with people's money.

Thoughts, opinions still welcomed...

drilone

Post by drilone » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:40 am

Well Hopefully it is not the person scamming on other boards...