forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:59 pm 

homerjredux wrote:
allvinyls.com has a ton of info

hands down the best one, and it's obviously updated regularly cuz Madame Mayhem is up
thanks dood :partyman:

edit: I'll post a link since it's @ the top of the page

http://www.allvinyls.com/kr8in.php

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:19 am 

acetate909 wrote:
homerjredux wrote:
allvinyls.com has a ton of info

hands down the best one, and it's obviously updated regularly cuz Madame Mayhem is up
thanks dood :partyman:

edit: I'll post a link since it's @ the top of the page

http://www.allvinyls.com/kr8in.php

Use it all the time ......the only one

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:28 pm 

So now that KR is flaunting their Hall of Fame DTA win on the blog...
http://blog.kidrobot.com/dunny-part-1/

What better way to showcase the platform then to actually update their official production dunny checklist:
http://sites.kidrobot.com/dunny/

8)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm 

hmm... seems KR was listening, and here is their answer:
http://blog.kidrobot.com/kidrobot-releases-archive-on-hobbydb/

but I see multiple concerns after initially browsing HobbyDB:
https://www.hobbydb.com/subjects/dunny-series

the dunny entries do not include ratios, and the list is not even as comprehensive as trampt or allvinyls.
there are exclusive 3", 8", & 20" dunnys missing.

given the overhead to continue to maintain this, i can understand KR outsourcing this to HobbyDB, and appreciate the gesture.
but if the list of production pieces is not even comprehensive, it is not helping much.
we'll see how proactive & responsive they are to adding any new production releases going forward.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:00 pm 

Still a work in progress of course but please have faith!

"With such an extensive catalog to work with, please understand that we are still adding and tweaking the database to make it perfect, but have no fear because there is still a deluge of information already available."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:46 am 

would like to have faith, but not sure what to think after hearing that HobbyDB stole content from AllVinyls.com.
sorry Paul... very sad to see that happen to a well respected boardie and contributor to the community :(

if KR was really "partnering" with HobbyDB, then they should be able the generate their own original content from their own archives, and not steal from an existing community resource.
i would certainly not like to see anything replace allvinyls... and was only ever looking for something supplemental as an official production list sanctioned by KR that would be actively maintained for new releases.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:16 am 

Hopefully the image thing gets resolved!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:53 am 

My name is Christian and I am with hobbyDB. Thanks to the Guru for alerting me to this thread.

Paul from Allvinyl got in touch yesterday with me complaining that we used his pictures and text. I assume he knows his stuff better than I do and therefore that his claim is true (my team is now in the w/e, so I have to wait until Monday to check). I further assume that one of our team members took his images as that was easier (maybe believing that they were Kidrobot stock images as they are pretty good looking photos), again I will find out on Monday and will then report here.

I have reached out to Paul to (a) apologize, (b) offer compensation and (c) asking for some time to rectify the problem. We will replace all images that are not added by users in good faith. If anybody would like to help with this task that would be greatly appreciated. We do not want to rip off others copyrights. I will report back here on the status.

Hope you like the rest of the new Kidrobot archive. Our site is relatively new and there are lots more features coming (we will improve the Wishlist, the Collection Management tools, 3rd party prices, the profile and other aspects). If you have ideas or like to curate a certain section (like a range of Dunnies, a particular Artist etc) please let me know here or via christian AT hobbydb DOT com.

Christian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:13 pm 

slals wrote:
the dunny entries do not include ratios, and the list is not even as comprehensive as trampt or allvinyls.
there are exclusive 3", 8", & 20" dunnys missing.

Hi slals, we have the field but the values are often missing. You can edit the information onto the pages (or if you have it in other form and want to send it to me we can add it).

Besides that hobbyDB is interactive/interrelated, for example on this page about The Simpsons: https://www.hobbydb.com/subjects/the-simpsons-television-series or for even lesser known subjects such as De La Soul: https://www.hobbydb.com/subjects/de-la-soul-music-band.

slals wrote:
tif the list of production pieces is not even comprehensive, it is not helping much.
we'll see how proactive & responsive they are to adding any new production releases going forward.

Think of us like Wikipedia, you and other collectors can add items or information to it. You can also sort Vinyl Art Toys for any aspect you like (ratio and/or Artist and/or Subject and/or Size etc etc). We will work hard to make this the best KR resource available anywhere.

Christian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:06 am 

I am sorry for being late with this promised reply. We are still finding out what happens but it looks like almost all if not all of the photos on Allvinyls are the same as Kidrobot's press images, see for example

The contractor used Allvinyls images as they were easier to use (the images we received were often still in Photoshop and had to be converted) and he thought the description was the standard description, here for example "Comes with drum and wrench accessory. These figures were made in the image of the band Gorillaz. The original black and red sets use larger molds for the figures than the newer CMYK, white and 2-tone sets." We are now changing all the copied texts.

Christian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:54 pm 

Joschik wrote:
My name is Christian and I am with hobbyDB. Thanks to the Guru for alerting me to this thread.

Paul from Allvinyl got in touch yesterday with me complaining that we used his pictures and text. I assume he knows his stuff better than I do and therefore that his claim is true (my team is now in the w/e, so I have to wait until Monday to check). I further assume that one of our team members took his images as that was easier (maybe believing that they were Kidrobot stock images as they are pretty good looking photos), again I will find out on Monday and will then report here.

I have reached out to Paul to (a) apologize, (b) offer compensation and (c) asking for some time to rectify the problem. We will replace all images that are not added by users in good faith. If anybody would like to help with this task that would be greatly appreciated. We do not want to rip off others copyrights. I will report back here on the status.

Hope you like the rest of the new Kidrobot archive. Our site is relatively new and there are lots more features coming (we will improve the Wishlist, the Collection Management tools, 3rd party prices, the profile and other aspects). If you have ideas or like to curate a certain section (like a range of Dunnies, a particular Artist etc) please let me know here or via christian AT hobbydb DOT com.

Christian

Sending you a PM about using our photos from openblindboxes.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:36 pm 

Don't mean to be rude but Allvinyls and Trampt are both still way better than this HobbyDB thing and I don't see the point in KR trying to improve their HobbyDB page actually.

When MattPower posted this thread originally, I'm pretty sure he was thinking of an updated version of http://sites.kidrobot.com/dunny/ . This HobbyDB website is not laid out nearly as nicely, or is it actually BY KIDROBOT, COMPLETELY, is what I'm hearing.
I can't say whoever made this didn't care, but it would have been nice to have someone who cared about the content look into the history of each piece and put down special information, the same way Paul (Allvinyls) has done for each and every piece released, ever, from not only KR but multiple companies.The only difference would be that Kidrobot would then release unknown things of the past...a prototype for something that was never made....an unknown edition number....things here and there that would be interesting for those of us (incl. Paul!) who didn't know about them.

What Kidrobot really just needed to do in the first place is take the time to go deep into all their archives or whatever, pull out a bunch of cool information, and work with Paul to put it into AllVinyls.
That would still be ideal in my mind.

Sorry to hate on your HobbyDB thing but I really don't think it was what MattPower was thinking of.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:48 pm 

In my opinion, this is a perfect site:

http://sites.kidrobot.com/dunny/

Just keep it up to date with the new releases.

Organize the series a bit more (by series, by special release, xmas dunny's, 8"ers, 20"ers ..and so on.) Simple.
Not all Kidrobot product, just Dunny's.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:21 pm 

Mike, thanks very much for your offer, super nice! We will take you up on as this also gets us started with other brands.

Hi Mikashroom, hobbyDB covers prototypes, customs and everything else. We are also in discussions with other brands about adding their archives (there are around 200 companies in action figures, model cars and other segments that data we already have). It is my experience that brands have too much economical pressure to do a good job on an archive, I know very few who do a good job. Please play around a little bit on the site and then let me know what you think we should change, you can reach me via PM here.

Hi Quest1, this is our Dunny page - https://www.hobbydb.com/subjects/dunny-series. Let me know if we can make it better.

This forum needs some Dunnicons... :shock:

Christian

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:57 pm 

The design of the site makes me sad... :(

My thumbs up boardie transactions: Eiji, ClarkR, danryan, dbfree, specialaok, hitechkoolaid, Quest1, malac_cj, DrewBlood, Wyldeaxe, TEN21, xxxclandestinexxx, KIDCANNON10, igbid, MattPower, zbakes, jFactor, MusicMan02, ceralwarz, slosnailgary, griffndunn

Trampt
flickr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:50 pm 

Why didn't KR think to reach out to AllVinyls or Trampt to help build the site with existing content? seems like KR could have saved themselves a lot of headache by offering compensation early to these folks to help them develop the content instead of rushing this website to the market with stolen content.

Transactions/References

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:56 am 

DirtyDiva wrote:
The design of the site makes me sad... :(

or lack of design... not feelin that layout.
since we're a community that appreciates art and great design, would much rather see it hosted somewhere that reflects that aesthetic and not just some scholarly archive.
would have much rather seen KR approach AllVinyls or Trampt as suggested.
funny that mika is making assumptions about what MattPower intended, when I see that he is now the Dunny curator on HobbyDB.
so I guess he was serious about wanting to work with KR to update the list no matter what. but we'll see if Matt chimes in himself to give his perspective.
gobble, gobble :partyman:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:32 am 

KR should have gone with Tranpt or Allvinyls.
The work was already done.

I will say this, HobbyDB does have the i go on Kwanzaa Ape posted I saw. The truth has been revealed finally.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:14 pm 

;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:37 am 

megrimlock1 wrote:
I will say this, HobbyDB does have the i go on Kwanzaa Ape posted I saw. The truth has been revealed finally.

so if that's the truth... then u mean MAD, KRoracle, & Spanky were all in on the joke? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:54 pm 

Has Hobbydb dealt with the plagiarized items from AllVinyls living on their site yet?

Transactions/References

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:44 pm 

We are on it. Most photos are the same so it is comparing what we received from KR with the image that we have. Paul has helpfully send a list of items that he knows images are his. I will report back once we went through everything.

Christian

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2