forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:09 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:59 pm
Posts: 1191
Location: Detroit
Especially since you can pick one up for $100 now.
I think it's ripe for the picking.

just curious if anyone has stumbled across one yet....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:32 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Vampire City
a custom Mak attack would be super cool...!!!

_________________
Selling / Wanting Needing

Random Beauty Studios / My Rotocast Collection / My Show Off Forum


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:59 pm
Posts: 1191
Location: Detroit
Found one....
plus a custom SUG and Ulligus to match.

they're interesting if only because it's the first I've seen, quality seems low, although I do like how he incorporated the extra arm.
The SUG is definitely a motorbot ripoff.

check em...
Image
Mak.Po

Image
SUG

Image
Ulligus

there's more pictures in the links


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 1:33 am
Posts: 2218
Location: Boston, Mass., USA
That's not a Motorbot ripoff. It's a specific style for the most part called Steampunk (Google it). I think these guys look great!......Good find!



.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:59 pm
Posts: 1191
Location: Detroit
Kingly Decay wrote:
That's not a Motorbot ripoff. It's a specific style for the most part called Steampunk (Google it). I think these guys look great!......Good find!



.


I'm quite familiar with steampunk. I'm not sure how these qualify...
there is nothing retro, pre-tech about these other than the rust color.

you don't see the similarity between the metal studs on this motorbot custom and the previous?
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:46 pm
Posts: 3051
Location: Peoria, AZ
Mastodon wrote:
Kingly Decay wrote:
That's not a Motorbot ripoff. It's a specific style for the most part called Steampunk (Google it). I think these guys look great!......Good find!



.


I'm quite familiar with steampunk. I'm not sure how these qualify...
there is nothing retro, pre-tech about these other than the rust color.

you don't see the similarity between the metal studs on this motorbot custom and the previous?
Image


I've done pieces like that too and 1 even before motorbot did that Sug. It is a style that does get thrown into "SteamPunk" which Doktor A has been doing for years. The style has even been out there longer then the term "Steampunk" my art teacher back in HS 93-96 use to call me a "rivet head" cause I had metal objects including screws, nails, rivets, eyelets, safty pins, and sewing needles protruding from my art. The term "rivet head" later became a label for people who listened to a certain type of industrial music. I hate labels, art is art and is inspired by many people and things we see as we grow up.

_________________
Image
www.therustednailgallery.com _____________________ www.etsy.com/shop/therustednail

My Sales viewtopic.php?f=43&t=182282
My Heat http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=54070


Image
___________ Hazmapos I need_____________


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:59 pm
Posts: 1191
Location: Detroit
rustedhalo wrote:
Mastodon wrote:
Kingly Decay wrote:
That's not a Motorbot ripoff. It's a specific style for the most part called Steampunk (Google it). I think these guys look great!......Good find!



.


I'm quite familiar with steampunk. I'm not sure how these qualify...
there is nothing retro, pre-tech about these other than the rust color.

you don't see the similarity between the metal studs on this motorbot custom and the previous?
Image


I've done pieces like that too and 1 even before motorbot did that Sug. It is a style that does get thrown into "SteamPunk" which Doktor A has been doing for years. The style has even been out there longer then the term "Steampunk" my art teacher back in HS 93-96 use to call me a "rivet head" cause I had metal objects including screws, nails, rivets, eyelets, safty pins, and sewing needles protruding from my art. The term "rivet head" later became a label for people who listened to a certain type of industrial music. I hate labels, art is art and is inspired by many people and things we see as we grow up.


you're correct, tons of people have used rivets on a million other projects. I just called out this guy for ripping off motor because he very closely mirrored the style on the exact same figure.

I still don't see how rivets automatically equal steampunk, but I don't follow it that closely either

art is art,
didn't mean to start an argument


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:19 am
Posts: 4205
Location: republic of texas
I'd be down for a makpo if anyone is interested. Ive got a few ideas sctually

I didn't invent rivets nor was I the first to use them. I appreciate you looking out for me though mastodon

_________________
stand back burrito

motorbot shop
twitter

I am ALWAYS accepting commissions, drop me a line if you want something

flickr


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:20 am
Posts: 4207
Location: Columbus,OH
rustedhalo wrote:
The style has even been out there longer then the term "Steampunk" my art teacher back in HS 93-96 use to call me a "rivet head" cause I had metal objects including screws, nails, rivets, eyelets, safty pins, and sewing needles protruding from my art. The term "rivet head" later became a label for people who listened to a certain type of industrial music. I hate labels, art is art and is inspired by many people and things we see as we grow up.


Gotta love Rivetheads. :lol: 8-[

_________________
Rivet
Designer Toy and Art Gallery
1200 N. High St.
Columbus, OH 43201
614-294-8697


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group