USPS is charging a ****load for shipping now

July 23-27th, 2008 at the San Diego Convention Center. Post all exclusive releases, signing info, and more!

Moderator: Kidrobot Guru

rain

Post by rain » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:23 am

cicconeyouth wrote:
watch out for using the priority stuff for non priority mailing, even if you're covering it up and such. my grandma did that for years and we got a couple hundred dollar bill from usps for misuse of priority materials after she died.

my postmaster says that you can get by with saying you are/were recycling?!

coasterbear

Post by coasterbear » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:24 pm

I'm actually pretty happy that USPS added a size charge. We buy a lot mail order (not just toys) and some places used to send tiny items (like a tube of paint) in a huge box because it was easier for them to just keep one size box in stock. It always killed me to see that much waste...extra cardboard, peanuts or other packing materials, etc. Since the size charges have been added, we're seeing a lot less of this.

blu3h3ylo

Post by blu3h3ylo » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:12 pm

probably means ppl are going to start shipping padded envelopes than boxes
MisKat wrote:make sure you charge crazy flipper prices to stir up the hype machine!

qwest1mark

Post by qwest1mark » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:28 am

coasterbear wrote:I'm actually pretty happy that USPS added a size charge. We buy a lot mail order (not just toys) and some places used to send tiny items (like a tube of paint) in a huge box because it was easier for them to just keep one size box in stock. It always killed me to see that much waste...extra cardboard, peanuts or other packing materials, etc. Since the size charges have been added, we're seeing a lot less of this.

i always reuse all the boxes that i receive from online purchases. saves me a lot of money. if i run out of boxes i go with the padded envelopes.

eckotyper

Post by eckotyper » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:34 am

qwest1mark wrote:
coasterbear wrote:I'm actually pretty happy that USPS added a size charge. We buy a lot mail order (not just toys) and some places used to send tiny items (like a tube of paint) in a huge box because it was easier for them to just keep one size box in stock. It always killed me to see that much waste...extra cardboard, peanuts or other packing materials, etc. Since the size charges have been added, we're seeing a lot less of this.

i always reuse all the boxes that i receive from online purchases. saves me a lot of money. if i run out of boxes i go with the padded envelopes.

i get the priority boxes, flip them inside out, cut them down to size... and ship :)...

that is when i dont have boxes on hand that are from item's i've bought

blu3h3ylo

Post by blu3h3ylo » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:35 pm

qwest1mark wrote:

hey i do the exact same thing!
MisKat wrote:make sure you charge crazy flipper prices to stir up the hype machine!

tupacboy

Post by tupacboy » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:48 pm

in my experience... i use ups for everything in the US only.... free insurance (i dunno if its because i have a corp account) for up to $100... tracking is easy... and they pick up everyday @ 5pm... international i like either USPS or Fed-ex...

djfohm

Post by djfohm » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:42 pm

eckotyper wrote:
qwest1mark wrote:

i get the priority boxes, flip them inside out, cut them down to size... and ship :)...

that is when i dont have boxes on hand that are from item's i've bought

big time~!

i FLIP TOO! BOXES INSIDE OUT THAT IS!
damn caps lock
MY Collection For KEEPS!: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=159952
N_roboy12 wrote: How many toys do you even have dude?!?! :lol:

blu3h3ylo

Post by blu3h3ylo » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:20 pm

my boxes got measured yesterday! they busted out with the measuring tape

catch232

Post by catch232 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:24 am

thats crappy because i have to ship out a HUGE box today.
great SELLERS:
Mrfang, Aussietoyrama[x2],
tavaro, mzkaydi, lilbooddha, BONER, iliketoplay, Phazeonedj, nmr509, ginner, rain, thisbwill, puppetbrain, ROCSone, joshua[x2], nouparobot,tichik
great BUYERS/PURCHASERS:
phazeonedj, jess1cuh, typo21, sgsterne, gia, dudegb, hova0023, enjoipanda, D-Lux, lummage, Joshua, kngwiz, retro603, kidrolito, katastrophe, jw1976, reindrpz, chelseacandy, noodle, orlowone, coffeekid, lalolo, fes, medallion, blu3h3ylo, the fuzzybear, b00yah, iliksprite, solekickz2, wtfunks, =DunnynnuD=, maki maki, manmachine, jmf337
great TRADERS:
joemm[x2], mfmunny[x2], i like to play, autodactyl, enjoipanda

Email: Radioautomatica@gmail.com
Aim: catch232

wtfunks

Post by wtfunks » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:26 am

catch232 wrote:thats crappy because i have to ship out a HUGE box today.

you better break that thing down to fit..

blu3h3ylo

Post by blu3h3ylo » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:50 am

catch232 wrote:thats crappy because i have to ship out a HUGE box today.

i would have died if i had to go by new measurement crap right after sdcc. my boxes were huge!!!!

Post by 209 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:13 am

Depending who you get at the post office, flipping prioirty mail boxes is a no-no. I got called out and had to ship priority mail for a $2.00 item which ended costing $4.65 to ship.
Great transactions with: Vic, Ouister, Sgsterne, low_pro, brooks55, Nikejerk, GFD18, nmr509, rizadette, djmerge1, luckyscrm, eckotyper, nnumber6, watty, adik.na.chinoy

rain

Post by rain » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:53 am

if you can avoid going using a postal clerk, do it.
i always try to use the automated machine or ship from home and have our mailman pick up the packages...

one time i made the mistake of going in to mail these birthday scrapbook mailers for my best friend and the lady used the ruler on her scale and it costed me $1.17 per envelope...i couldn't just leave...i got home and put 2 stamps on the remaining envelopes and they got to their destinations just fine.

wuvy

Post by wuvy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:18 pm

i started to notice that all the priority boxes now are stamped on the inside. to cover, u'd have to cover 360 degrees. however, i have found a better way. i steal from my office! :-# LOL well, actully, i take the fedex boxes in all different sizes. cut down to what i need, voila! perfect!

depending on the size of the item or cost of the item, i use my dad's ups acct. \:D/
if u know someone, ur in luck! shipping costs less than if you were to go to ups w/o an acct. i.e. i've shipped my n64 with 4 controllers, plenty of padding by newspaper. in the end, it was like 12-13 lbs. i charged 15 b/c i went with what ups would cost w/o an acct. it went from nyc to somewhere in cali. total cost, not even $8 so i refunded him $5. then again, this was a little less than 2 yrs ago. :-P
~wuvy ( flickr )

my good/bad transaction site:
tba

want but can i buy:
jled mr bunny i love sushi print
jled mr bunny coffee print
s1 kozik's mini labbits in tan, orange with yellow polka dots, black, blue, glow, both chases (preferably with boxes)

blu3h3ylo

Post by blu3h3ylo » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:41 pm

i always go in and this guy is always there and really nice. i was using an old box and forgot to take off one of the priority stickers and he peeled it off for me. there's been a couple of times where he also tapes up my boxes for me too

aparatchik

Post by aparatchik » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:49 pm

I shipped off the 30" Mao a few days ago via FedEx ground, and it only cost a buck more than shipping a friggin' SUG with USPS. The lads in blue are clearly completely out of touch with what the market bears.
"What disgusting river did you dredge THAT out of? Wait, it's a custom?" - Howieh

blu3h3ylo

Post by blu3h3ylo » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:44 pm

i think i'm gonna start using fedex

wolfchild

Post by wolfchild » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:50 am

I don't even think the USPS knows what their rates are supposed to be. I shipped one larger package last week at one price, then I tried taking in the exact same sized box and shipping it to a similar part of the US and the cost came up as twice as much.

Even the clerk that was helping me (the same that had helped me the time previous) was confused because the computer was popping up with some strange thing after she entered the info on it. I ended up walking away with the box and having to get a smaller box and repack it with less packing foam.