My Experience muling at my first Comic-con

July 23-27th, 2008 at the San Diego Convention Center. Post all exclusive releases, signing info, and more!

Moderator: Kidrobot Guru

globeboxxr

Post by globeboxxr » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:42 pm

All else aside, I think your story shows that these booths need a little more consistency in the way they handle these releases. First come first served, to raffle and back again is just ridiculous. Of course, I'm in Ohio, so, yeah... whatever. :D

wtfunks

Post by wtfunks » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:20 pm

this is how i muled.. and how all muling should be done .. i spose..

i didnt accept cash upfront.. maybe one person.. but what i did.. was that i offered ppl that i was friends with .. if they would like me to get them something.. and didnt gaurantee them if i wouldnt get it or not.. and only if it was convenient with me.. i sold it to them for retail + shipping.. didnt try to get friends to get me any more items then i needed.. i only got one of everything.. so it wasnt as bad as having taken 5 or more from booths.. and its kinda true on how actual goers of comic con should have priority over items.. since they are actually there to buy it.. they also spent money to be there as well.. if everyone went to mule.. no one would really get what they want.. cause everyone would be thinking of making some sort of profit..

blu3h3ylo

Post by blu3h3ylo » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:59 pm

like hase...my first and last. i was stressing too much over trying to get stupid raffle tickets and trying to win them then remembering that i was at con for myself too.
MisKat wrote:make sure you charge crazy flipper prices to stir up the hype machine!

DX_Psycho

Post by DX_Psycho » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:04 am

yea i probably won't be muling again next year. i didn't get to check out panels cause i had to be at different booths buying things.
Good deals with: D-LuX, dieselbouy, kabautista9, Robot Companion, jrox19, Katastrophe, untilshewokeme, cSpooge, AKBAPE, mourningwd, Aussietoyrama, kittycat, SnorseWhisperer, fast1950, sleepboy, gloomyfan, shadowbooth, GooseWonder, mrmonkey, jceballo, illminded1, Fiashly

Bad deals with: kp

pukingaso

Post by pukingaso » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:22 am

EASheartsVinyl wrote:i didn't mind muling for people, but i left up the extra payment up to them. i was a little bummed when one didn't send me any, but i figured it was up to them. i'd do it again....

correct!!!!! for my items, i would like to thank my cousin robert for the sacrifice hehehehe:)

cbankla

Post by cbankla » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:53 am

DX_Psycho wrote:
cicconeyouth wrote:you make it sound like the only reason you're going to the con is to mule. we all have to pay for rooms, food, plane tickets, etc. and we all do it for the joy of going to the con. so, i don't really understand what your point is- are you trying to be "nice" and you're complaining that you're not being compensated enough for being "nice"?

i didn't say it was the only reason I went, I'm just saying it took up a big chunk of my time there and people who say i'm lame unless I do it out of the goodness of my heart are being kind of daft.

and LocoMoco, that reminds me of this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=FqUKEhyvFaM

nice vid!

mules suck!
unless their your friends
ya know, hey can you pick up something for me?
ill try no prob
thanks

UnRel

Post by UnRel » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:26 am

cbankla wrote:
DX_Psycho wrote:
cicconeyouth wrote:you make it sound like the only reason you're going to the con is to mule. we all have to pay for rooms, food, plane tickets, etc. and we all do it for the joy of going to the con. so, i don't really understand what your point is- are you trying to be "nice" and you're complaining that you're not being compensated enough for being "nice"?

i didn't say it was the only reason I went, I'm just saying it took up a big chunk of my time there and people who say i'm lame unless I do it out of the goodness of my heart are being kind of daft.

and LocoMoco, that reminds me of this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=FqUKEhyvFaM

nice vid!

mules suck!
unless their your friends
ya know, hey can you pick up something for me?
ill try no prob
thanks

haha... that made me laugh.. but i wouldn't say mules suck.. but mules that bring mule friends suck
"All I ever wanted was to pick apart the day, put the pieces back together my way..."
- from "Daylight" by Aesop Rock

brothermantis

Post by brothermantis » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:20 am

wtfunks wrote:and its kinda true on how actual goers of comic con should have priority over items.. since they are actually there to buy it.. they also spent money to be there as well.. if everyone went to mule.. no one would really get what they want.. cause everyone would be thinking of making some sort of profit..

+1

This was the most crowded comic con Ive been to yet(my 4th). With so many people competing for the same items, it would be nice not to have to worry about mules working the system.

quahogclam

Re: My Experience muling at my first Comic-con

Post by quahogclam » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:22 pm

JORDAN23 wrote: Dude....you were a mule, not Mother Teresa.

Next time....ask some deserving people what they would like, tell them that you will try your best but can't guarantee it, and then if you get the items....send it to them for COST. You'll have a whole lot less stress and you'll earn some friends who will respect you for life, you'll build up some good toy karma, and most of all you'll enjoy the experience more.

+1

i had someone pick something up for me, and now he's stressed cause he has to drive around, buy shipping supplies and mail everything, it's a lot of work. i feel for him. i think he offered his services to too many people. but i would gladly pick something up for him now. toy karma is a great thing. i've been on the giving and receiving end of it.

rain

Post by rain » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:24 pm

muling is hard but i handpicked people i would do it for.
thank gawd most of my people are understanding that i couldn't come through on some items...working on refunding and packaging stuff now. whew, not going to do it next year!

eckotyper

Post by eckotyper » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:42 pm

rain wrote:muling is hard but i handpicked people i would do it for.
thank gawd most of my people are understanding that i couldn't come through on some items...working on refunding and packaging stuff now. whew, not going to do it next year!

me either... looks like most of us wont be in the muling game next year... im sure noobs next year will, im just glad im going to enjoy myself that much more next year, and so will hase... cant wait!

rain

Post by rain » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:43 pm

are you guys going to try to sit in on some panels?
really bummed i missed out on the fan boys panel - can't wait to see that movie :lol:

UnRel

Post by UnRel » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:40 pm

rain wrote:are you guys going to try to sit in on some panels?
really bummed i missed out on the fan boys panel - can't wait to see that movie :lol:

last year.. i went into a panel with Diamond Distributors... where they talk about 'how to open up a comic book shop'.. it was interesting.. i wouldn't want to try and compete against Jessica Alba fans, though... having her on my desktop every few months is good enough for me...
"All I ever wanted was to pick apart the day, put the pieces back together my way..."
- from "Daylight" by Aesop Rock

dragondavy1

Post by dragondavy1 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:27 pm

I see some hate or don't like getting things for others and see it as being a mule.

I see it as Karma, J23 said it best.

I want to see when NYCC rolls around or any shows how many would like to get help to get something. Come on we all have ask for some kind of hook up help from someone on this board.

Last NYCC, I helped a few people out and I even paid for some of it with my cash.
I do it for the love and to make friends and I don't want one cent or beer money.

But I guess thats just me, you look out for me and I look out for you. :partyman:

Party on... :partyman:

I can't wait for the Kaniza show. :partyman:
Last edited by dragondavy1 on Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DragonDavy1
The City That Never Sleeps..
World War Robot Rules!!
3A Legionnaire

http://3atoys.blogspot.com/
http://3atoys.hyperboards.com/index.php
viewtopic.php?p=1555297#1555297
Ashley Wood - NOM de PLUME
Ashley Wood - Desert Rat Bertie
Ashley Wood - Prints & Punk King Posters
EWOK 5MH's - Swagger

Samurai Lincoln

Post by Samurai Lincoln » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:30 pm

dragondavy1 wrote: I can't wait for the Kaniza show. :partyman:

Speaking of which..................
There are roughly 46,000 some odd people on this board. I like about twenty of them. You aren't one of those people.

rustedhalo

Post by rustedhalo » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:37 pm

My first time muling as well. It was hectic and frustrating at times but I was glad to help people out and it gave me the opportunity to buy stuff I might not of bought for myself cause of the price(even though I don't get to keep it, the experience and talking to people was fun). I was able to score everything I needed - 1 Possessed. I will gladly offer my services again next year. For me it was all about the experience, and each year is totally different(my 5th year @ SDCC). One of the big things that would of made things better for me was actually knowing the release times(for some things) ahead of time and the prices(without them changing). Having the retail price PayPal to me first was a good thing as I wouldn't have been able to get as much on my own budget.

dunnydave

yep, here is what I think...

Post by dunnydave » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:44 pm

I would just like to add that this was not my first SDCC experience. This yea by far was twice as bas as the past 2 previous years as far as toy drama goes. I hate that, because it tends to take the fun out of it.

I chose not to mule, because a lot of times people don't understand all the B.S. that comes along with acquiring a very new good vinyl toy or print at a specific time and location! :-k

At least there were some really great vinyl pieces released. I also met some really cool people and I snagged some goodies for my collection too. That is really what it is all about. Raffles are the logical reason,but not always the practical one when there are that many people who are in demand for what you are releasing.
Last edited by dunnydave on Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Great dealings with: delay, vic, oversprayed, sindekat, irsk, lowenbrow, desecration, skullart, scud80, joeydzzle, selph_one, TheFuzzyBear, ThinkBlueCount2, superduper, nmr509, thegiuce, joemm, obie, mr_balut, BONER, katastrophe, davesgratch, untilshewokeme, $and, william, flabby, jonnyc, yolao, MAD, fast1590, Mr*Smith, drunkmunky02, spankystokes, qwest1mark, rustedhalo, djfohm, FericFanatic, DunkMax, maki maki, Ghostbuster, deadlemming, mrburgess, and more...

dragondavy1

Post by dragondavy1 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:44 pm

Samurai Lincoln wrote:
dragondavy1 wrote: I can't wait for the Kaniza show. :partyman:

Speaking of which..................

hahaha

I'm not trying to be an @ss.
I understand it's hard work when these big shows happen because to many hot vinyl dropping all at the same time and some have to have it all.

Thats why when I ask for help I only ask for two or three things and I pick a few of my friends if I do want a lot. If they get it awesome, if they don't I'll live, I still have love for them. :partyman:

But ask anyone who helped me in the pass if I ever did them wrong. :wink:
DragonDavy1
World War Robot Rules!!
3A Legionnaire

EWOK 5MH's - Swagger

wtfunks

Post by wtfunks » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:38 pm

i dont consider positive toy karma if your charging for it..

dragondavy1

Post by dragondavy1 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:00 pm

wtfunks wrote:i dont consider positive toy karma if your charging for it..

+1
DragonDavy1
World War Robot Rules!!
3A Legionnaire

EWOK 5MH's - Swagger

DX_Psycho

Post by DX_Psycho » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:23 pm

Attaboy was talking about a voice-over panel where different voice-over actors/actresses make their cartoon characters interact with each other. i want to check that out next year.
Good deals with: D-LuX, dieselbouy, kabautista9, Robot Companion, jrox19, Katastrophe, untilshewokeme, cSpooge, AKBAPE, mourningwd, Aussietoyrama, kittycat, SnorseWhisperer, fast1950, sleepboy, gloomyfan, shadowbooth, GooseWonder, mrmonkey, jceballo, illminded1, Fiashly

wtfunks

Post by wtfunks » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:24 pm

thought this was a muling thread?

DX_Psycho

Post by DX_Psycho » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:46 pm

i was replying to rain asking "are you guys going to try to sit in on some panels?"

cbankla

Post by cbankla » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:11 am

dragondavy1 wrote:
wtfunks wrote:i dont consider positive toy karma if your charging for it..

+1

true true

though most thankful people will throw in a lil bit
but to ask for it
tsk tsk

XiMendoza

Post by XiMendoza » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:46 pm

About "Toy Karma"

For the ones who mysteriously obtained exibitor passes

When exibitors they were not, strolled easily and refreshed into the con

at 8:30am past those who got no good nights sleep because they

were stuck on the street at wee hours to hopefully be the first in line

to you there is no good toy karma this year because no matter how you justify it

you cheated those who truelly made the sacrifice and went the extra mile.

On you who were lined up on thursday morning BEFORE 10 for the possessed

with those nice little orange bagde holders when I was first in line and had been

there since 4am I wish nothing but toy karma on you. May you really get back

what you've put out.