Wood prints vs. giclee prints

Post photos and discuss the latest prints, paintings and fine art. Los Angeles based Gallery 1988 is moderating this forum.

Moderators: Kidrobot Guru, zonnie5

paul

Wood prints vs. giclee prints

Post by paul » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:33 am

I went to Luke Chueh's art show on Saturday, and I feel like it was a real turning point for art prints on wood. Up until now, I've mostly seen artists use them as a more casual alternative to giclee prints. For instance, Jeremiah Ketner uses them to do open run prints of his cuter, less serious animal paintings. Jason Limon often sells $50 wood prints as well. Since there's no framing required and holes are pre-drilled in the back for hanging, they're great for that purpose.

Saturday was a different story. Chueh had 100 giclee prints for $150 each and 25 wood prints (printed on 3/4" thick wood) for $325. People lined up outside for the wood prints, and that seemed to be what everyone was buying that night. I only saw a few giclee prints go out the door.

I bought one of the wood ones, and the quality is great. The thickness makes it look and feel more like an original painting. I have some small concerns about the corners holding up over time, but overall I'm hoping this trend continues and wood prints are treated as a fine art platform more often. But I was interested in hearing other people's opinions, especially those who are hardcore giclee print collectors. What do you guys think?

www.allvinyls.com

References: Squidnik, halfapparition, foto junkaay, 1v1artin, NinJaSkills, hova, gmiddleswarth, frankthefish, Chauskoskis, ClarkR, rundmb, reactor88, jennipho, thetonybot, 666ways2love, Quest_Ion, NSTNATE, SecurityGeek, dimply_gecko, tsoli727, Dupper, BOOKER73, zombiemonkie, BRADLEYAFRANK, busizem718 + more (146 total transactions)

Nothing371

Re: Wood prints vs. giclee prints

Post by Nothing371 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:27 am

Cool thread. Yeah, wood is nice because framing is a biznatch. But the retail cost of wood prints is so high than you can have your print professionally framed instead. Technically your art is better protected behind conservation glass. On the other hand, the colors pop more and the print looks better when it's not covered at all. Wood looks and feels more authentic and closer to original. Whereas giclee is better for shipping, easier to protect, simpler to re-sell later when you prune your collection.

I've been anxiously awaiting news for an online release for this print. When you're one of the lowly midwest-living giclee collecting peons you have no choice but to collect paper prints.
Good transactions: NaturalJoe, VapDee, Mhpgear1, Ryn, Dank82, Stacyjean, Danryan, Tweeder422, bla8, izzy, candycloud27, bltsports25, del730, homerj, JMDawg33, pghrobot, Techhuis, cm, DabCity2, glock325, Erroneous, normanjr, kitman34, Greggygreg, turdhole, Adultswim666, Nonegious, DrkFD3S, thermometer, Kingly Decay, w33zy16, jeanclaudeAdam

Great trades: Ghost, Tweeder422, mrxwormxsayz, dondaka, W.I.L.D., fdot, MiggaWhaat, AK4play, elias, Spenc, MattPower

paul

Post by paul » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:49 pm

I would contact the gallery directly. They usually don't put things online, instead opting to let people call or email them. But they should definitely have giclee prints left. There were 100 of them and it was a relatively small show.
www.allvinyls.com

References: Squidnik, halfapparition, foto junkaay, 1v1artin, NinJaSkills, hova, gmiddleswarth, frankthefish, Chauskoskis, ClarkR, rundmb, reactor88, jennipho, thetonybot, 666ways2love, Quest_Ion, NSTNATE, SecurityGeek, dimply_gecko, tsoli727, Dupper, BOOKER73, zombiemonkie, BRADLEYAFRANK, busizem718 + more (146 total transactions)

Freakinkram88

Post by Freakinkram88 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:32 pm

I'm wondering if the the wood prints are still giclee on wood. Giclee basically just means digital print, if I'm not mistaken. Keep in mind, if not finished properly, the wood will degrade faster then an archival print.

The wood prints did look awesome though, as did all of his paintings he created.

Domina

Post by Domina » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:21 am

I have a similar question regarding wood/Box art Like pieces in Luke's Show.

I have several OG Chueh paintings and prints that are on thick wood including a print and painting on wood from this show.

I'm not sure how to Shadowbox them... so I mainly just stick them on a nail.

If given a choice between a paper print and a wooden print I also usually choose wood....
though again they remain raw an unprotected as my pieces protected by glass seem to give off too much glare.

Any advice would be welcomed.

D~

Quest1

Post by Quest1 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:24 am

Great posts everyone. I'm Looking forward on reading additional comments on this topic. I've ventured and bought a few prints now and the idea of prints on wood intrigue me. Durability would be my main concern. Will the wood absorb the ink over time?
"Sucka' MC's Should call me SIRE.!"
_____

hellscrape

Post by hellscrape » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:47 am

Personally, I have a Junko Mizuno wood print from Hi Fructose/SDCC (the one with the shark), and the ink on the print would smear ever so slightly when touched. I'm not sure if that is due to to printing techniques used, and if other wood prints and if others will experience the same issue I did. For that reason, I had it framed (crazy, right?) It looks great, and will hopefully maintain the quality of the print for a longer period than if it is just out in the open.
GOOD B/S/T: Nicopanda, Turnone, Chapper, Tnbrother, Nutter, Amethystcape, Turdhole (x2), Mrsmonster, Xmeat11ballX, rustedhalo, 666doll (x2), supershallow, bk_bk, zonrboy, markie_darkie, wingnut80, tvdang, kannaya24 (x2), dro333, nerps, Retro603, kom22, dunnydave, ohiheartyoux, JEEMAC, spungee, dunnyjake, dphear, ROCSone, TO Designs, CurseTheSeen, Saulvation, Teez, invader_chip, shibori, x661x, mooshysushi (x2), jjH8te, patrick40, Naturaljoe, spitfire, DrftDrgn21, nrk3, Bundleofjon, Lazanti, vinyladdict, deathtollzero, Merlin, genejo, RessTroop, Norms, lediscode, giantplasticmonster, Peter_Awesome, Mz59Fifty, rostahmicahdesign, jonnyboi017, locksmith

paul

Post by paul » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:16 pm

Would love to see a photo of what it looks like framed. Sounds like an interesting idea.
www.allvinyls.com

hellscrape

Post by hellscrape » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:24 pm

Framed and in rotation with my other Junko prints, but currently in storage, due to limited display space.

GOOD B/S/T: Nicopanda, Turnone, Chapper, Tnbrother, Nutter, Amethystcape, Turdhole (x2), Mrsmonster, Xmeat11ballX, rustedhalo, 666doll (x2), supershallow, bk_bk, zonrboy, markie_darkie, wingnut80, tvdang, kannaya24 (x2), dro333, nerps, Retro603, kom22, dunnydave, ohiheartyoux, JEEMAC, spungee, dunnyjake, dphear, ROCSone, TO Designs, CurseTheSeen, Saulvation, Teez, invader_chip, shibori, x661x, mooshysushi (x2), jjH8te, patrick40, Naturaljoe, spitfire, DrftDrgn21, nrk3, Bundleofjon, Lazanti, vinyladdict, deathtollzero, Merlin, genejo, RessTroop, Norms, lediscode, giantplasticmonster, Peter_Awesome, Mz59Fifty, rostahmicahdesign, jonnyboi017, locksmith

Gatekeeperlp

Post by Gatekeeperlp » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:36 pm

Those wood prints look amazing!

I'm surprised there is enough room in the frame to fit the wood print.

I've started to collect giclee prints. There extremely easy to frame and put up. I feel like I would have a tough time displaying a wood print.

For me the major limiting factor is cost. I can get a couple giclee for the cost of one wood print. But if money was no object I'd probably go wood every time.

Just a heads up. I ordered the giclee print of the luke chueh print in the original post. Had to call the gallery directly and provide credit card information over the phone. They were quick to answer emails and all is good.

I'll put up some pictures when it arrives and i get er framed.

More pictures of wood prints!

Stave

Post by Stave » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:45 pm

paul wrote: Image
I think that print looks amazing. Wood prints can be cool, just depends how the artist uses it.
Had to frame it to hang on the wall, no holes and it was too thin to drill into it.
As far as quality/longevity, I have a few wood prints and they all seem fine. No issues here.

Stave

Post by Stave » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:41 pm

Just picked up another wood print. If you don't have one yet, you should.

666ways2love

Post by 666ways2love » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:15 pm

RE wood prints. Quality wise it depends on how it's done. For instance, I have a bunch of the Hi-Fructose SDCC wood prints. Those were screenprints and look amazing. Colors pop and everything.

The company Prints On Wood however, is total overpriced garbage. They use low resolution scans of the original. I don't know if that's because their printer can't handle the high res effectively or PoW just doesn't want to invest. for those that bought 'Boba', look closely at the greens and whites. You'll see alot of image noise http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_noise. I'm sorry, but Luke didn't paint a bunch of pin sized dots everywhere. The other thing PoW does is that use mediocre inkjet printers. The majority of their stuff from the little Soto Seekers all the way up to giant 30"x40" 1/1 prints that they also had on display at Dcon, show horizontal stripes goings cross their stuff. Not as extreme as this, but the closest I could find to explain what I mean. Image . All the stuff PoW shows online looks great. But when you get up close to one in person next time, really look at it and you'll see what I mean.
sales thread viewtopic.php?p=2065190#p2065190
100+ Buying, selling, muling transactions over the years. Plenty of references.

paul

Post by paul » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:43 pm

I'm looking at my "Some Trends Make Me Want to Puke" wood print, and I don't see any of the issues you mentioned. No horizontal stripes, no pin-sized dots, no image noise. I was pretty careful at the release to examine both the wood print and giclee, and both looked equally great. At least on that release, they did perfect work.
www.allvinyls.com

Stave

Post by Stave » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:03 pm

666ways2love wrote: But when you get up close to one in person next time, really look at it and you'll see what I mean.
I wanted to clarify this point. Yes, all of those issues exist. However, to notice them, you have to be about 6 inches away to possibly notice the lines... and even closer for the noise. I still like the quality, while it might not be as nice as others I have, it was also substantially cheaper.
Issues in question, my phone was about 2 inches away. The white specs are dust.