Getting started with street art?

This is where trolls play. Nothing in here but threads that went down the drain. Enter at your own risk.

Moderator: Kidrobot Guru

xombiegrinn

Getting started with street art?

Post by xombiegrinn » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:29 am

I want to start getting more involved with doing street art and spray painting. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for one just getting started. What good starter paints are, tips to use, things to practice doing, ect.

fail2evolve

Re: Getting started with street art?

Post by fail2evolve » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:51 pm

•you can get spanish montanas pretty cheap these days...i'd start with a basic set of those and plenty of banana caps and pink dots. (don't get german montanas, theyre inferior and from a company that ripped off the original montana)
•Practice making lines on a wall with both types of caps, and keep practicing until you can make a 7 foot uninterrupted line that's the same thickness all the way across with no drips, curved or straight.
•Practice fills with pink dots while working on speed, awareness and precision.
•Buy Style Wars, watch it twenty times
•Read The Art of Getting Over a few times - don't break the code and follow the written rules.
•watch every tutorial you can, over and over again
•wear the correct type of mask/ respirator - always. you wanna die like Wiz?
•get a box of black nitrile gloves
•hit them streets, again, again, and again.

•don't get caught.
People I'm comfortable dealing with: Hypnotiq, Fuller, Eyeforaneye, DrftDrgn21, Chrisosaur, Irulan, Zombiemonkie, Pomasta, dunzo, esro, nerviswr3k, AlbertOne, blackandblueNH, CasWunn, Janeeliz22 (if i forgot you, pm me)
I would never deal with Art Asylum Boston or Jason Zenga. This is why.

How to Prep your Dunny (by Mezzn and Fail2Evolve) http://vimeo.com/24965810

xombiegrinn

Post by xombiegrinn » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:05 pm

Don't get caught is my rule for most everything...
Thanx ^^
I'll check style wars out and see what happens ^^

estebrook

Post by estebrook » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:15 pm

fail2evolve wrote:•you can get spanish montanas pretty cheap these days...i'd start with a basic set of those and plenty of banana caps and pink dots. (don't get german montanas, theyre inferior and from a company that ripped off the original montana)
•Practice making lines on a wall with both types of caps, and keep practicing until you can make a 7 foot uninterrupted line that's the same thickness all the way across with no drips, curved or straight.
•Read The Art of Getting Over a few times - don't break the code and follow the written rules.

•don't get caught.

do you tag up anything these days?
I am a NOT OG threeA legionnaire
fail2evolve wrote: scribe's got nothing but love and dedication for his art, so love and dedication are what his fans feel for him and his work.
"flying fort-mess"
FLICKR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63292814@N05/

fail2evolve

Post by fail2evolve » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:13 am

estebrook wrote:
fail2evolve wrote:•you can get spanish montanas pretty cheap these days...i'd start with a basic set of those and plenty of banana caps and pink dots. (don't get german montanas, theyre inferior and from a company that ripped off the original montana)

•don't get caught.

do you tag up anything these days?

it might be possibly conceivable. not anywhere as much as i'd like these days...a lot of the older crowd from where i live is gone, locked up, or changed, and the newer crowd is awful, minus a few people that i don't even know....
People I'm comfortable dealing with: Hypnotiq, Fuller, Eyeforaneye, DrftDrgn21, Chrisosaur, Irulan, Zombiemonkie, Pomasta, dunzo, esro, nerviswr3k, AlbertOne, blackandblueNH, CasWunn, Janeeliz22 (if i forgot you, pm me)

xombiegrinn

Post by xombiegrinn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:00 pm

Whats the difference that seams to really separate the newer crowd from the older crowd; Style of art, attitude? Just curious.

fail2evolve

Post by fail2evolve » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:10 pm

i've got room in my heart for any style, and a lot of the newer blood is talented. It's definitely more the attitude they all seem to have - no respect for other art (crap like putting handstyles over dope burners), no respect for other artists, and no respect for private property/ places of worship. (houses of worship, cars, and private dwellings used to all be off limits - as they should be).

there's no history in the graf youth of today, nobody knows any stories or writers outside of their own circle/ city.

xombiegrinn

Post by xombiegrinn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:18 pm

Thats too bad, I guess its the same as is with any scene, music, art, anything. =(
Yeah I've seen a few people slap tag and graffiti office buildings and homes before, not only is it pretty lame but it doesn't even look good, it looks out of place and done just for spite. I prefer when people place their stuff where other like minded folks contribute, city mail boxes, newspaper dispensers, signs, dirty walls, Allys, Light and Telephone posts, ect. It looks more at home to me.

c-star

Post by c-star » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:35 pm

All I'll say is get fit before you start hitting places, you need to be able to run!
my flickr

CLICK HERE FOR MY WANTS THREAD - CLICK HERE FOR MY SALES & TRADE THREAD

PEOPLE IVE DEALT WITH:
bk_bk, gazpacho, soedmond, candycloud72, raajr87, jpark01, mbgsfv, giantdwarf, dunnyrocks, kapjock, buellster, proachlmt21, nicocato, bmxbenf, wastemoremoney, hodge, j y e e, hambat, meanmistert, securitygeek, apeboy, vdunny, hellscrape, YummyOreos, CLOUD2MAN, trustinSTARS, achmad, bluegreenkey, Sherbii, creaturion, tron, mister.g, reganomics813, NinJaSkills, OGA, DaVe^_^, St3phY ...

xombiegrinn

Post by xombiegrinn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:00 pm

haha, alright. I will remember to work on it.

kittenpixe

Post by kittenpixe » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:22 pm

Rule Number 1: Cardio

:D

estebrook

Post by estebrook » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:46 pm

kittenpixe wrote:Rule Number 1: Cardio

:D

enjoy the little things
I am a NOT OG threeA legionnaire
fail2evolve wrote: scribe's got nothing but love and dedication for his art, so love and dedication are what his fans feel for him and his work.
"flying fort-mess"
FLICKR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63292814@N05/

c-star

Post by c-star » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 am

Don't break the law, if you can't run from the law!
my flickr

CLICK HERE FOR MY WANTS THREAD - CLICK HERE FOR MY SALES & TRADE THREAD

PEOPLE IVE DEALT WITH:
bk_bk, gazpacho, soedmond, candycloud72, raajr87, jpark01, mbgsfv, giantdwarf, dunnyrocks, kapjock, buellster, proachlmt21, nicocato, bmxbenf, wastemoremoney, hodge, j y e e, hambat, meanmistert, securitygeek, apeboy, vdunny, hellscrape, YummyOreos, CLOUD2MAN, trustinSTARS, achmad, bluegreenkey, Sherbii, creaturion, tron, mister.g, reganomics813, NinJaSkills, OGA, DaVe^_^, St3phY ...

esro

Post by esro » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:29 pm

you should first learn how to write......practice in a book of any kind... learn to write your name with your eyes closed and it still look chill. practice practice practice practice practice practice.... i see alot of garbage out there don't be that guy.... when it come to what to write on... i say write on everything...KRSone says write on everything tax dollars pay for..... just make sure what ever you do is done with a practiced hand..
If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse. However, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that...
my blog spot.. http://illfingers.blogspot.com/

gusto inc.

Post by gusto inc. » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:53 pm

whoa whoa you do not need to kill your money on high end paint. rustoleum will get the job done just fine for what you're looking to do(style wars will tell you that). find a graff website and order a bag of rusto fats, boom your set. do your homework too, get a sketch pad and a marker, pratice makes perfect. fill up the page, do it to it.

krums

Post by krums » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:06 pm

This is the best thread ever. Great tips for beginners :lol: LOVE IT.
Fan krummyart on facebook NAO
My Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/krummyart

orlowone

Post by orlowone » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:44 pm

oh yeah, and if you go to school, don't tag in the bathrooms or anywhere else. sh!tting where you eat is some toy-a$$ sh!t.
I'd rather be good than popular. You want it, come and get it.

fail2evolve

Post by fail2evolve » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:10 pm

yeah....while the topic is up, people act like there aren't written rules but there are.

(ps, these aren't my writing, so don't hate on me if you disagree)

1) you suck until further notice.

2) It's gonna take a long time for [real writers] to even acknowledge your existence, even longer before before [they] can bear to look at that foul scribble you call your name. To speed up the process, you can:

a) Choose a clever name that defies the norm of simple-minded slang. An example of a good name is "ARGUE" (RIP). It looks good when written, sounds cool when spoken, and conveys a combative attitude. On the other hand, "ENEMA" (actual name) looks, sounds, and conveys a shlitty attitude. BE CHOOSY.

b) Use paint, get a thorough knowledge of supplies, remember that permission walls, stickers and dust tags are small parts of a balanced diet, be bold, learn a style of writing for every occasion, and write your name bigger every time you go out.

3) Jealousy is a disease for the Weak

4) Your heart is your greatest possession, don't let it get taken from you.

5) Don't write on houses of worship, people's homes, other writer's names, and tombstones. Writing on memorial walls is beef beyond belief. Furthermore, involving civilians in your beef is grounds for dismissal.

These are the five fingers of your right hand. Give soul claps, firm handshakes, and throw smooth bolo punches.

-The Art of Getting Over

CreativeRhino

Post by CreativeRhino » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:22 am

c-star wrote:Don't break the law, if you can't run from the law!

Hahaha true, true i love this :lol:

Kidrobot Guru

Post by Kidrobot Guru » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:19 am

Get your ups! Run fast!

lui

Post by lui » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:27 am

Spoken like a true writer from the early 1990's 8)

[ quote="fail2evolve"]•you can get spanish montanas pretty cheap these days...i'd start with a basic set of those and plenty of banana caps and pink dots. (don't get german montanas, theyre inferior and from a company that ripped off the original montana)

•don't get caught.[/quote]
Last edited by lui on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kidrobot Guru

Post by Kidrobot Guru » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:47 am

If it ain't a cop, don't stop...

GOJIRO

Post by GOJIRO » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:02 pm

even though it sounds stupid basic, think about it for a second: always write/draw on anything you can especially in a sketchbook. it's small, quick, convenient. it helps with muscle memory, develops style and easier to translate when using paint.

+1 on the cardio

burktodd

Post by burktodd » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:27 am

Check out the forums at 12ozprophet. They have a lot of advice and stories and everything. When I was into it I was on there all the time.

Practice in a book. Use crayolas while youre starting. Once you have a decent style start getting some good supplies like Prismacolors.
Trades: Tattooedjester (x2), 666ways2love, YoMi
Buys: bk_bk, zombiemonkie, nameBRAND, mrsmonster, Gothamite80, highchancecriminals
Sales: wenjamin, 666ways2love, gwailo

Sweet_Lie

Post by Sweet_Lie » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:54 am

CreativeRhino wrote:
c-star wrote:Don't break the law, if you can't run from the law!

Hahaha true, true i love this :lol:

Logical! And safer :D :axe: