Photography Critique Thread

This is where trolls play. Nothing in here but threads that went down the drain. Enter at your own risk.

Moderator: Kidrobot Guru

Arne Saknussen

Photography Critique Thread

Post by Arne Saknussen » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:55 am

Any subject.

Be nice.

This is meant for us to learn.

I'll start.

shakey

Post by shakey » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:36 am

Good start, but a bit too much pepper.

osirus

Post by osirus » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:18 am

Arne Saknussen

Post by Arne Saknussen » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:31 am

osirus wrote:Image

Good positoning (rule of thirds). However, the arrangement he is holding takes too much focus. In fact, it is in focus while the figure is not.
It might be just my opinion, but the shadow in back is a little distracting as well.

dodgrr

Post by dodgrr » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:37 am

"Phosphorus deficiency is indicated by reduced plant growth, delayed maturity, and small fruit set. These symptoms may be accompanied by a purple coloring, particularly in young plants."

whatya know arne, I did learn something ;)

osirus

Post by osirus » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:17 am

Arne Saknussen wrote:

Good positoning (rule of thirds). However, the arrangement he is holding takes too much focus. In fact, it is in focus while the figure is not.
It might be just my opinion, but the shadow in back is a little distracting as well.

cool, my main intent was to focus on the flowers and not the ken. i took this pic on top of my speakers and do notice the shadow more now that you mentioned it. next time i'll do it with a white backdrop.

the flower is called purple cream. it may have a phos deficiency or it may be that it had very cold nights during the flower period, which may turn purple strains darker purple.

regardless, post more pics!

Arne Saknussen

Post by Arne Saknussen » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:24 am

Then, should the figure be more unfocussed?

Its just a question, of course. Can you experiment with the same subject (s)?

osirus

Post by osirus » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:05 am

Arne Saknussen wrote:Then, should the figure be more unfocussed?

i forgot what f-stop i used, but i think it was the smallest f/#. i am using a regular lens that came with my nikon d40x. going to experiment some more and post when i get the chance.

how can i make the ken more unfocused besides changing the f-stop?

xerocs

Post by xerocs » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:25 pm

my turn...

Make: EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
Model: KODAK EASYSHARE Z710 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
Shutter Speed: 1/32 second
F Number: F/2.8
Focal Length: 6 mm
ISO Speed: 160
Currently searching for: Baseman Blue Dumbluck, Roman Dirge Zombie Bunny Plush, Ugly Dogs, Whaleboy goth variant and original art canvases.

Arne Saknussen

Post by Arne Saknussen » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:28 am

osirus wrote:
Arne Saknussen wrote:Then, should the figure be more unfocussed?

i forgot what f-stop i used, but i think it was the smallest f/#. i am using a regular lens that came with my nikon d40x. going to experiment some more and post when i get the chance.

how can i make the ken more unfocused besides changing the f-stop?

Off hand I would say try using a macro lens. That would def isolate the flower and make the fig out of focus.

[ Added: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:32 am ]
xerocs wrote:my turn...

Make: EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
Model: KODAK EASYSHARE Z710 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
Shutter Speed: 1/32 second
F Number: F/2.8
Focal Length: 6 mm
ISO Speed: 160

This is the kind of pic I like. Taking something ordnary and making it seem like something never before seen or noticed.
If I had 1 criticism, it would be the background. It is just a little distracting from the subject, especially that little red area. But, please, that is being very picky.

Also, I hope others do some critiquing.

Samurai Lincoln

Post by Samurai Lincoln » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:34 am

Arne Saknussen wrote:Also, I hope others do some critiquing.

I would but I don't know a thing about photography.

I am enjoying this thread though. :smile:
There are roughly 46,000 some odd people on this board. I like about twenty of them. You aren't one of those people.

Arne Saknussen

Post by Arne Saknussen » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:44 pm

juancarlos

Post by juancarlos » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:29 am

Looks nice but a little out of focus. Also lose the spots on the right side, dead giveaway for aquarium glass.

Arne Saknussen

Post by Arne Saknussen » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:09 am

Yep, noticed that after I uploaded.

LOLkats

Post by LOLkats » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:25 am

not a bad pic overall
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kathygeeftw/
http://twitter.com/kathygeeftw

smooth transactions w/: zonnie5 , hopelessj, thecanabiskilla, base x2, restaurador, camdenoir, heebysdaman, groovitude, epikGNAR, H20Bear

selling :1x HiCalorie x Julie West $25 , 2006 Joga Bonito Bearbricks set (taking offers), Endangered Dunnys $9 each not including shipping, SDCC ToyTokyo Tokidoki Geisha signed $80 obo

zincsaucier442

Post by zincsaucier442 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:57 am

xerocs

Post by xerocs » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:03 am

Arne Saknussen wrote:Image

I like it overall... I am not photography surgeon.... but I think it would look better centered in the frame... I could be worng though.

[ Added: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:04 pm ]
zincsaucier442 wrote:Image

This one is great... shadow is good... if I had one critique, I ould say that all of his feet should be off the ground. :)
Currently searching for: Baseman Blue Dumbluck, Roman Dirge Zombie Bunny Plush, Ugly Dogs, Whaleboy goth variant and original art canvases.

ontheDL

Post by ontheDL » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:03 pm

shakey wrote:Good start, but a bit too much pepper.

No such thing :wink: Hey Arne, you're always posting pics of food... Are you a chef or just a food lover?

I'll post some pics soon... Just got a new XSi :smile:

JdmHypebeast

Post by JdmHypebeast » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:56 pm

Looks like some purp :-k

Arne Saknussen

Post by Arne Saknussen » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:02 am

One of my favorite pics.

heebysdaman

Post by heebysdaman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:45 am

Sweet! A photography thread. I'm digging it already!

Osirus: I agree with the others. I like where it's headed! A new, white backdrop (and possibly a secondary light source) would definitely help offset the distracting shadows.

osirus wrote:how can i make the ken more unfocused besides changing the f-stop?
Nothing else can really change that focal range on the camera besides the f-stop. But as Arne said a macro would help amplify the effect. Perhaps even changing how the Ken is holding the flowers or getting a more dramatic perspective could heighten that difference between the two.

Xerocs: Very interesting subject. I kind of want to get closer though. See even more detail on those leaves...the little fuzzies. Where was it taken?

Arne: Loving the jellyfish pic. Good crop. Colors are gorgeous, and I actually like how it's softly focused. Implies its movement and consistency. I feel like I could touch it. The spots are easily fixable in post.

I like the vantage point of the bridge shot too. The lines lead me through it quite nicely. But it does feel a little confined. There's an expansiveness to it, that I feel like I'm missing. Perhaps opening up the frame a bit would help (?)

Zinc: Haha. I always appreciate animal photos. They can be interesting subjects. I like the relatively monochromatic colors. Nice crop and pose. Caught him in mid-bound.

Here's my contribution for now...

xerocs

Post by xerocs » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:53 am

heebysdaman wrote:Xerocs: Very interesting subject. I kind of want to get closer though. See even more detail on those leaves...the little fuzzies. Where was it taken?

It is a cucumber from my garden... I am a gardener by hobby. I will get closer on my next post of this... I really want to explore some more with my garden, however, I am going to the beach today to get some underwater photos... hopefully I can get the tripod set up and get a good shot or two of the cucumber buds before the become full blown cucumbers... I will post later today.

heebysdaman

Post by heebysdaman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 am

xerocs wrote:It is a cucumber from my garden... I am a gardener by hobby. I will get closer on my next post of this... I really want to explore some more with my garden, however, I am going to the beach today to get some underwater photos... hopefully I can get the tripod set up and get a good shot or two of the cucumber buds before the become full blown cucumbers... I will post later today.

Cool. Would've never guessed, haha. I bet there's a ton of potential with that garden. And underwater photos? Can't wait to see some.

xerocs

Post by xerocs » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:55 pm

So the water was rough today and I ended up with like 20 pictures... none that I am overly happy with... keep in mind that I am still learning to use my underwater camera as well... oh, and I didn't get anymore of the garden, but I will get out there first thing in the morn and get cracking...

Butterfly...
Trumpetfish...
Closer...
nest...
Picaso Triggerfish
accident that turned out cool...

[ Added: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:04 am ]
Forgot this part:

Make: SeaLife
Model: DC800
Shutter Speed: 1/867 second
F Number: F/5.3
Focal Length: 5 mm
ISO Speed: 64

Arne Saknussen

Post by Arne Saknussen » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:35 pm

heebysdaman, its funny, in another forum, we were saying how unattractive it was for women to wear flats. However, the colors of the pavement compliment the color of the shoes very well. You took a subject I am not fond of and made it more appealing. The snow shot is nice as well. I used to live in Maine (and Illinois too) so that shot is kinda nostalgic.

xeriocs, definetley keep going on those underwater shots. You not only have the camera to do it, but also seem to be close by a location to take shots. What you have taken so far still gives that otherworldly feel. Nice!