forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:06 pm 
It donned on me that I would be incredibly good at conceiving and designing toys. Before I get crackin' on some designs, would anybody mind filling me in on some things?

a) Which companies might be interested in accepting designs?

b) What's the best way for me to submit designs (figure turnarounds? Conceptual art etc.)?

c) Under the assumption that many popular toymakers are independents with one or two designers, how does one get started?

I'd really appreciate a response. Thanks folks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:05 pm 
i'd like to know 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:08 pm 

i think most companies will want to see previous designs and toys that you've designed before contracting you....if you have the capital why not create your own toy....the number that has been floating around to create your own toy is about $10K....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:25 pm 

k.p. west wrote:
It donned on me that I would be incredibly good at conceiving and designing toys. Before I get crackin' on some designs, would anybody mind filling me in on some things?

a) Which companies might be interested in accepting designs?

b) What's the best way for me to submit designs (figure turnarounds? Conceptual art etc.)?

c) Under the assumption that many popular toymakers are independents with one or two designers, how does one get started?

I'd really appreciate a response. Thanks folks.

Start with some customs. Design and customize your own Dunny or Munny and see how well it is accepted. I think that what you are looking for is an elusive prize, sought by many, and found by a lucky, and talented few. Looking around the customizing and show-off forums here, you will find MANY extremely talented folks who would also jump at the chance to design their own toy. As far as where to look and which companies... I don't know. Who does?.... Doan know that either.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:42 pm 

k.p. west wrote:
It donned on me that I would be incredibly good at conceiving and designing toys.

With a statement like that, I have to see some of your designs.

-J->

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:49 am 

yeah lats see em...

I had to go to school and get a design degree and bust my hump for years before anything happened...
but there is a big Difference between having a series of Toys at TOysR US and a figure at Kid robot.. or your own porduction...
differenct rules aply

just get your mane out there and just have fun. the designer toy game is just a game of self promotion untill you get up with enough work you will find that there is not much $$ in it

K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:21 am 
luck+passion+ice cream = anything in the world

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:11 pm 

well this guy has one post and never responded so I think he's blowing a little smoke!!

JESTER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:08 am 
I've been designing for a little while now and have had many gallery showings and lets face it, it takes a lot of work, skill and time. Get your stuff out there for the people to see!
Brother Timm I have three shows coming up for you all to check out.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]