forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:29 am 

so i got my hands on a megaMunny in december during the giftpack sale. i wanted to do something over the top with it rather than just paint them like i normally do. Took some brainstorming, but after spending that brainstorm time playing and beating both BioShock games, it was clear, i needed a Big Daddy to call my own.

cut and sanded out the portholes in his head, fogged lenses will be added later once i'm done with paint. and started sculpting his straps and buckles on. of course proportions are off so it's more cute-sy than his official game counterpart.

once sculpted and sanded, i primed the whole thing. partly for painting purposes, partly because a good layer of spray helps keep the sculpy from "accidentally" breaking off...and me accidentally losing my mind and going ape on it.

made his headcage out of 1/2" pvc tubing, much easier and lighter than trying to work with actual metal.

so i've been working on this a few hours more days outta the week than i would like to admit and finally finished the sculpting stages. papermache'd a drill hand for him, and gave a good metallic base to the helmet. after some precise painting, i then had to go in there and blackwash all over it to "dirty" him up a bit.

and this is how my Bouncer, Mr.Bubbles sits now. still got a good few more hours/days left on him, and some lighting hardware and LED to rig up on the inside as well. right now i'd say i'm sitting just a lil over the halfway mark. but gotta say sculpting was the longest process. definitely coulda been a lil more "clean" in some areas, but anyone familiar with the character knows it's okay to be a lil "rough" "beat up" and "old" looking.

well thats all for now, i'll update as i do more. i know i have more in process pics somewhere but i skipped a lot. didnt wanna snap shots with phone while hands were coated in paint, clay and paste.

and comments (good, bad, or ugly) are welcomed and appreciated :D

Last edited by InkyMcStapleFace on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:16 am 

Awesome work. Love that game, and this is coming out excellent!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:23 am 

Hey this is fantastic... can't wait to see it finished :) Bioshock is my favourite game ever. Love the big daddies especially the bouncer!

I one day hope to create a bioshock munny :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:37 pm 

Dude!!! This is looking really good man. Can't wait to see this finished. Keep posting pics of your progress.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:59 pm 

Great work so far. One of the best videogame creatures of the last few years!

Great Transitions: tattooedjester, WeirdForceOne, steen182, Mvp Carbon, manikusmd, moss420, AVATAR666, mcgowanm95, Janeeliz22, shpecs, rachelscoleman, snooker, dun182, monkeyjedi, genki-kat, Deathsheep, willnyc555, LOWTECH, BringTheRawkus, statusquo, Amethystcape, Moonshot, esqalade

Design Portfolio
Podcasts
Etsy Shop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:11 pm 

Bioshock rules, and your munny too, great job, i want to see it finished...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:00 am 

not finished yet, and had a few problems with basecoating the body but after some sanding and re-priming, all is well with the world again.

i still have minor details, a good layering of clearcoat to do, add his porthole lenses and stuff him full of lamp guts. but so far his outer bits are just about done. decided to throw him together to get a feel for how everything looks. still gotta attach the tank in his back and also going to give him a Hypnotize Plasmid orb in his other hand. many more hours of work.

You'll also notice my little undead friend, ZeD, making a cameo as well.

now i gotta get an LED, lamp guts, and fight the urge to slam my head into my work station for thinking of taking on such a project.

(oh and sidenote to those saying "dude" and "man", i don't mind, but do note, i have ovaries ;) )

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:47 am 

any women who can do this should be a mens dreamwife :D

nice work..

love to see it with the lamps and all...

ArdabusRubber (Several times :) ) , RsinArt, ticktockbadabing, Linh, Iodemek, turnone, xplayablepinoyx, Nebulon5, adik.na.chinoy, Crittur17, turdhole, NSTNATE, HeyJB, Squidnik, Fuller2356, bigbad99, Pause, Matt A

wanna buy:

Nothing ATM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:18 am 

Sorry! I meant Dudette Haha.... Its looking amazing! Your making want to take the plunge in buying a Mega Munny for my next project. I just cant pull the trigger right now... uuhhggg! Cant wait to see it with the lights and all! Fantastic work!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:55 am 

InkyMcStapleFace wrote:
not finished yet, and had a few problems with basecoating the body but after some sanding and re-priming, all is well with the world again.

i still have minor details, a good layering of clearcoat to do, add his porthole lenses and stuff him full of lamp guts. but so far his outer bits are just about done. decided to throw him together to get a feel for how everything looks. still gotta attach the tank in his back and also going to give him a Hypnotize Plasmid orb in his other hand. many more hours of work.

You'll also notice my little undead friend, ZeD, making a cameo as well.

now i gotta get an LED, lamp guts, and fight the urge to slam my head into my work station for thinking of taking on such a project.

(oh and sidenote to those saying "dude" and "man", i don't mind, but do note, i have ovaries ;) )

Hello .

It is really splendid The Big Daddy. It would be well to make the little sister with a munny 7 inches. Very beautiful work !

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:00 am 

thanks for all the responses, and yes,indeed, my boyfriend is quite impressed with my artsy/nerdy skills :lol: hoping to get this thing done within the next week or so.then i will really be celebrating. :partyman: after a month of working on it off and on, i'm growing tired of staring at it day in/day out.

and yes, i do have plans to add a 7" little sister once i am done with this behemoth.

debating on selling it. a close friend and diehard gamer is willing to shell some major dough on it... i suppose if i make another, it will be easier the 2nd time around since i worked out all the kinks on this one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:18 am 

InkyMcStapleFace wrote:
thanks for all the responses, and yes,indeed, my boyfriend is quite impressed with my artsy/nerdy skills :lol: hoping to get this thing done within the next week or so.then i will really be celebrating. :partyman: after a month of working on it off and on, i'm growing tired of staring at it day in/day out.

and yes, i do have plans to add a 7" little sister once i am done with this behemoth.

debating on selling it. a close friend and diehard gamer is willing to shell some major dough on it... i suppose if i make another, it will be easier the 2nd time around since i worked out all the kinks on this one.

I would suggest to sell it..
The second you will make, will be even better....

Only problem, be carefull cause if you got another mega munny, who knows what you want to make next... Perhaps something totally different...

ArdabusRubber (Several times :) ) , RsinArt, ticktockbadabing, Linh, Iodemek, turnone, xplayablepinoyx, Nebulon5, adik.na.chinoy, Crittur17, turdhole, NSTNATE, HeyJB, Squidnik, Fuller2356, bigbad99, Pause, Matt A

wanna buy:

Nothing ATM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:02 pm 

LOVE it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:43 am 

so decided to change original game plan, and use green acrylic for the lenses in his portholes. gathered the electrical components today and have them set aside to install. need to cut some holes for the switch (soo nerveous about messing it up this late in the game, wish me luck)

so as it sits, finished and clear coated. better shots later once i get him wired up. for now here's the progress, whatever little it may be.

i'm excited as well to get it finished. a close friend of mine has already called dibs on buying it. :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:55 pm 

good luck with the electric stuff!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:49 am 

ITS ALIVE!

wiring went well, i got some help from a friend on that one to keep from zapping myself when splicing and reconnecting wires.

cut a hole ( very VERY carefully) in the back near his tank for the on/off switch, finished product (not this jumbled wire mess) is nice and clean and if i didnt know any better i would think it was put together by someone who knew what they were doing :P

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

it almost makes me wanna cry.

speaking of which, did i not say this was the creepiest nightlight ever? imagine this staring you down from across a dark room...

I'm trading him now to another artist friend of mine at a later date, in trade, i get another MegaMunny to chop up :D i cant wait

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:02 pm 

that big daddy turned out as a masterpiece!!!!!!!! congratulations!

i can imagine, how much sweat, blood, frustration even went in that thing! well...it was worth it, i would say!

=D> =D> =D>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:23 pm 

Maybe the best Mega Munny custom I have ever seen, definitely causing me to consider buying one.

Have you done anymore?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:46 pm 

I was blown away by this over the top piece... then I saw the lights. HOLEE CRAP DUDE!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:29 pm 

the lights are an amazing feature!
great job on this!
do you have plans yet for your next megamunny?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:07 pm 

I'm a huge Bioshock fan and this piece really does some justice to the game. I like it.

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/bryancollinsart
Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/useeverycolor
Shop - http://www.bryancollins.etsy.com
Instagram @useeverycolor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:48 am 

wow thanks for all the positive feedback. i hadn't checked the forums in a while.

i really busted my hump on this for about the better part of a month. i havent gotten plans for my next megamunny yet. i've got a list of commissions for some mini munnys at the moment so i should probably do those soon (procrastination and actual 'work' seem to be shortening my munny creating time)... i gotta think a while on what i'll do to the next mega. i suppose i have to try and top this one...ah crap. lol.

for now, until he is ready for his new home, he keeps me company at my station at work :D
"...I'm ready for dream time, Mr.Bubbles..."

also, i'm currently working on a 7"munny Little Sister to keep Big Daddy company. updates to come :)

oh, and amazing news as well, my friends roomate stumbled upon an unpainted Munny Mobile she had tucked away in storage for quite some time. After seeing the munnys i've done she gave it to me as a present :D :D :D i'm still brainstorming on that one as well.

i really need more hours in my day, and a warehouse of mythbuster proportions for all my little projects these days.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:12 am 

Can't wait to see the little sister!!!!!!!
This is so awesome!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:32 am 

well, you didnt have to wait too long, luckily i found a few spare hours in my day and finally got to sit down and get her done :D

"Come On Mr.Bubbles, Angels are Waiting for Our Kisses!"

and now i feel, this set is complete.

:partyman: w000000t! :partyman:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:20 pm 

i wanna make a 7 inch big daddy
can u help me? i mean suggestions
what did u use to sculpt ?
and how did u bake it?
can u plz give me the colors name?
how did u attach the pvc pipe so u could take them off and paint them later?
plz answer me!
after all u did some amazing work