CaptDNA Customs Punk Droid

Post pics of your custom MUNNYs here. Comment on MUNNYs by famous and not-yet-famous people!

Moderator: Kidrobot Guru

CaptainDNA

CaptDNA Customs Punk Droid

Post by CaptainDNA » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:05 pm

Fuzzy Rex- A dinosaur who was born fuzzy unlike his brethren, so he travelled through time to find a culture who would appreciate his fuzziness.

Tim the Traveller

This is the Junglabbit! When I finish varnishing him in the next day or two he will be on sale for LCKM@, to do his part to fund childhood leukemia research. On Sale at the LCKM@ Etsy Page!

This is Banana Joe, he hearts bananas- He had a day off work so he got really excited to watch the Food Network special on Bananas (Which really just said to get a banana, peel it, then you have a banana) But he got so excited he somehow burnt it in the process.
You can imagine his disappointment.

This is Jack the Lumbermunnny, he's pretty canadian.

Subaru Imprezza done for a commission from board member Sil3nt_Ch4os.
Last edited by CaptainDNA on Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That's what being is a scientist is all about.

Good Transactions with: dimply_gecko, JayJayFool, enjoihavok, Henry17s (+), linh, Tacoherder, 666doll, YourSoRad (+), Squidnik (+), Sykogrl (+)

Some of my customs: http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=163313

For the love of god don't let me buy anything

UNCLE

Re: CaptDNA Customs

Post by UNCLE » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:31 am

Okay, so after posting in the 'Pisses you off' thread, I came looking for your customs.

Banana Joe is HILARIOUS! the look on his face cracks me up, I also love the sculpting you did of the lower jaw/lip.

The one suggestion I have is, because you outlined the bangs of his hair, I think you should have outlined all of it. Just having the front part done looks kind of funny.

Jack the Lumbermunny is good, was he your first? The skill and style just doesn't seem to be there as much as it was in Joe. The face just doesn't show as much emotion, and the shapes don't seem as clean.

I still love him though... There is just something about Lumberjacks that makes me happy.... I even had a crush on the original BRAWNY guy when I was a kid.... HAHAHA! :roll:
"It misses the point to ask me what my paintings 'mean'. Simply, I do not know myself. Moreover, I am not at all interested in knowing" -Zdzislaw Beksinski

MY STORE!!!!! << click there to peruse and purchase.

CaptainDNA

Post by CaptainDNA » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:07 pm

Thanks for the comment! :D

Jack was indeed my first. And I think one of the reasons that is noticeable is because my hand is not so steady so the outlining is difficult. A lot of his lines are kind of shaky. And you're right about the emotion- I've never thought about it but there is a lot of difference in that area. I guess it is because I was just trying out munnies when I did Jack and really threw myself into Joe. But really, I shouldn't be picking favorites between my boys.

That is what lead me to use outlining less in Banana Joe. Unfortunately there are places (like the hair meeting the eyebrow) where you need an outline to communicate what is going on. You're right though, the result does look a little odd. I'll have to look into a more graceful solution to that situation.

Haha totally- lumberjacks are so easy to have crushes on! I briefly thought about sculpting some muscles onto my lumbermunny, but I think it would have looked weird. Dreamy, but weird.

As for the "what pisses you off" thread, I wouldn't usually do things like that. I was just being silly, and also didn't think anyone would care in that thread, with the 1000+ posts in it. This is the first board I've decided to become a part of, I know to tread more carefully in the future!
Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That's what being is a scientist is all about.

Good Transactions with: dimply_gecko, JayJayFool, enjoihavok, Henry17s (+), linh, Tacoherder, 666doll, YourSoRad (+), Squidnik (+), Sykogrl (+)

T4NK

Post by T4NK » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:51 am

banana joe rocks! its really great that it tells a story. i agree w/ UNCLE about the outline part. one thing to consider when you have two bodies of the same color that you need to outline is outlining them in a lighter or darker value of the original color. Who ever said all outlines needed to be black?

Either way, awesome work. Definite style.
Commissions Welcome

01100100 01100101 01110011 01110100 01110010 01101111 01111001

CaptainDNA

Post by CaptainDNA » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:38 pm

Wicked! Thanks so much for the idea, I will totally use that!

Also, whenever I see you post somewhere, I lose at least 3 minutes of my life watching the video in your sig. I enjoy it a lot.

CaptainDNA

Post by CaptainDNA » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:05 pm

Hallo

This is Fancy Teddy. He has amnesia and doesn't know where he is, but he sure is fancy. He feels like he might be missing a party somewhere, but he can't remember where.

another-waver

Post by another-waver » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:57 am

It's all about Banana Joe for me. Very clever use of the accessories to create the backstory, and then a nice subtle bit of sculpting on the face to sell the reaction. Fantastic. You'll find a painting style you like shortly. The transition from 2d to 3d really makes you rethink some stuff like outlines. I think a good rule of thumb is that if there's no sculpting, outlines can be effective because you approach it as a 2d "canvas" basically. When you start to articulate details with sculpting, then I feel the outlining becomes superfluous, because you've already physically created those edges. Keep it up!
Customs for sale! in this thread: I will keep updating this thread regularly with more stuff... viewtopic.php?f=43&t=248787

CaptainDNA

Post by CaptainDNA » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:10 am

Thanks for the comment- I'm a big fan of your customs so it means a lot.

That's an interesting point about 2D vs. 3D. I am excited to really get into some serious sculpey work and entirely rely on 3D texture instead of outlines.

nagle

Re: CaptDNA Customs Updated Thur.Sept.30

Post by nagle » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:31 pm

The Impreza Munny is a great concept, well executed. Simple and restrained, compared to your other work (which is great as well). I like when people turn products into characters...it's like an unmade Pixar flick come to life.

Darthballs31

Post by Darthballs31 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:56 pm

Great work!

Btw, what toy did you use for the teddy? I really like that custom!

CaptainDNA

Post by CaptainDNA » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:35 pm

nagle wrote:The Impreza Munny is a great concept, well executed. Simple and restrained, compared to your other work (which is great as well). I like when people turn products into characters...it's like an unmade Pixar flick come to life.

Ah! Thanks for reminding me. I meant to say with the main post- A lot of the great ideas of the design of the munny were from the commissioner, Sil3nt_chAos. It was really cool to work with someone who had a good eye for design and stuff.

I enjoyed the change of style to the simpler colour and concept scheme. I'd really like to get into some designs where I can spray paint a bunch and do some details on top.

Yeah, products into characters is so fun! When he mentioned wanting this custom, I was totally excited about the challenge.

CaptainDNA

Post by CaptainDNA » Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:37 pm

Darthballs31 wrote:Great work!

Btw, what toy did you use for the teddy? I really like that custom!

Thanks! :partyman:

Its just the Munny accessory teddy bear- He is a little guy.

GRANDEYE x SAKI

Post by GRANDEYE x SAKI » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:25 pm

woooow very nice i just joined this and im on my second munny! my first is very good for start off even tho i use one paint marker and rest was prisma markers lol. My second is all acrylic but i need a tip please i painted the body and all of that is done im just now on my weapon which is a axe ill have pics up late, however to do that i realllyyy need to now what can i put over the weapon as like a protectant so the paint wont chip in the munny's hand any suggestions?! please! :cry:
Grandeye.x.Saki! hello worlD!/ i shatter the MATter of shine and pearLS!/ i MIght not be the BESt! but truly i trY!/ In my country...its vote MUNNY OR DIE!!!...XD

CaptainDNA

Post by CaptainDNA » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:19 pm

Yeah! I can't take the axe out of the lumberjack's hand because I didnt varnish it properly! I know better now :D

I have found if you give it a spray with Krylon crystal clear varnish things go smoothly. So, varnish the weapon and the munny separately, then you should be able to put the weapon in the hand.. Make sure you follow the instructions and do two really light layers before applying it more heavily.

This varnish can be found at most art stores i think. Good luck munny making! Have you posted your customs on the board??

GRANDEYE x SAKI

Post by GRANDEYE x SAKI » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:28 pm

OMG! Thank you sooo much! you the first to answer my question! lmao..and no i haven't im trying to attach a image and make a post but it seems when i go to post it it doesn't show up n i go to my post i made n it only show me commenting under your post....ugh im so new to this ive been here all day trying to make a post! how do you post yours? if you don't mind me asking.
Grandeye.x.Saki! hello worlD!/ i shatter the MATter of shine and pearLS!/ i MIght not be the BESt! but truly i trY!/ In my country...its vote MUNNY OR DIE!!!...XD

CaptainDNA

Post by CaptainDNA » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:08 pm

Haha no problem. When you are in the Munny Gallery forum, there is a button near the top that says add new topic. So you click on that and fill in the information. If you joined recently , you need 10 posts before you can start your own topic i think.

Then to post a picture you need the image hosted on another website (flickr, deviantart...others i dont know), then you copy the URL of the image into the Img tags, which you can set up by clicking the Img button right above the message window.

That can be a bit complicated , let me know if you have more questions

GRANDEYE x SAKI

Post by GRANDEYE x SAKI » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:06 am

THANKS I GOT IT! XD....you can go check it out now hope you like its my first one and ill post my second one up today afternoon the one with the axe lmao thanks so much bro BIG HELP!

Crumpy01

Post by Crumpy01 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:16 pm

Hey, your work is awesome, I love the imprezza munny!! I'm thinking of making my dad a Mazda MX5 munny for Christmas and would love to know how you made the wheels as these are awesome! Many thanks in advance :D

CaptainDNA

Post by CaptainDNA » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:43 pm

Thanks so much!

The wheels are just added on with sculpey clay. I had some issues at first. It is tough to get the wheel looking right while still giving the arms room to swing. Part of what i did to solve this was to cut away a bit of the side of the leg so that it didnt go out so wide. This allowed me to have the wheel thin at the top and not bulge out at the bottom at the end of the foot.

So apart from that, just sculpey really. Let me know if you have any more questions!

CaptainDNA

Re: CaptDNA Customs Junglabbit!

Post by CaptainDNA » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:34 pm

Bump for Junglabbit! 8)

paul

Post by paul » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:23 pm

That labbit is freakin' adorable.
www.allvinyls.com

References: Squidnik, halfapparition, foto junkaay, 1v1artin, NinJaSkills, hova, gmiddleswarth, frankthefish, Chauskoskis, ClarkR, rundmb, reactor88, jennipho, thetonybot, 666ways2love, Quest_Ion, NSTNATE, SecurityGeek, dimply_gecko, tsoli727, Dupper, BOOKER73, zombiemonkie, BRADLEYAFRANK, busizem718 + more (146 total transactions)

Shankweather

Post by Shankweather » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:27 am

Awesome labbit, your best work yet.

CaptainDNA

Post by CaptainDNA » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:19 pm

Thanks guys! I had a lot of fun doing it. I'm excited to put him up for sale and send him off into the world.

SillyK

Post by SillyK » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:24 am

gotta agree with some others here, banana joe is an eye catcher with a great background story! love this little guy with his sad face! keep up the good work!
:D

Fthat

Post by Fthat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:48 am

Nice paint job on the labbit, but I have to agree Banana Joe was the eye catcher for me! I think it was the concept, and how there was a story behind his expression etc. Can't wait to see more!