forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Custom 7 inch Equierous
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:14 am 

Location: VA, US, North America, The Americas, West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe
Munny- Equierous by Perseus Haolysce, on Flickr
Munny- Equierous by Perseus Haolysce, on Flickr
Just a 7 inch munny I did up as my character Equierous as a futuristic warrior. The 7 inch form was fun to work with, but by the end I probably got impatient and rushed some things. The back isn't the greatest. The brush I was using was getting worn out too and....well, it is what it is. I think it turned out looking pretty rad. Hope you guys like it! :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:30 am 

i like the style of your paint application.The bold color transitions are nice.

The only thing id suggest is to keep the black lines crisp and everything else sketchy. I feel maybe with the black lining resembling the way you applied the color makes the piece too busy. The black crisp lines might have calmed the wild colors and make it unified instead of cluttered. Also id try varying widths of black lining. some thin while others bold.

also the grey seems too muted. maybe use a lighter grey as it seems to blend too much with the black used.

I do love the face and the color application and find it interesting to look at so your getting there. You already have a paint style that is unique enough to work. Its just now applying crisp smooth black lining to unify the piece.

If there is one thing that annoys me about these forums now its that poeple dont comment on work unless you are a known name and even that is scarce. I really dont get what people are doing here. No one seems to care about customs as much as they did. Wonder if thats a sign of a things to come.

Overall its a nice piece. good job

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:51 am 

Location: VA, US, North America, The Americas, West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe
ianthegamer wrote:
i like the style of your paint application.The bold color transitions are nice.

The only thing id suggest is to keep the black lines crisp and everything else sketchy. I feel maybe with the black lining resembling the way you applied the color makes the piece too busy. The black crisp lines might have calmed the wild colors and make it unified instead of cluttered. Also id try varying widths of black lining. some thin while others bold.

also the grey seems too muted. maybe use a lighter grey as it seems to blend too much with the black used.

I do love the face and the color application and find it interesting to look at so your getting there. You already have a paint style that is unique enough to work. Its just now applying crisp smooth black lining to unify the piece.

If there is one thing that annoys me about these forums now its that poeple dont comment on work unless you are a known name and even that is scarce. I really dont get what people are doing here. No one seems to care about customs as much as they did. Wonder if thats a sign of a things to come.

Overall its a nice piece. good job

Thank you and thanks for the feedback! I'm trying to work on "taming" my lines to get them smoother, crisper. With some of my newer pieces I've started to apply gloss to the lines and it really makes them stand out bolder and blacker. Now, like I said, I just have to get them smoother. I wish people commented more on stuff. Whenever I see new customizers I try to say something, even if I don't have as many tips to give as you do.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:59 am 

its a trend here i feel. You will get 60 views yet 2 comments. Too many lurkers and not enough participants.

even negative feedback is good feedback. Id rather here something sucks than nothing at all. Nothing to build on from there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:41 am 

I agree with your comments statement, so heres my opinion.

I love the character, the face is looking good and its got a nice feel. but your line quality needs work and all it needs is practice, good quality paints and brushes and a little more time spent. I have the same problem of getting wrapped up in a custom and wanting to finish it, when i should leave it for the night then come back to it.

Overall, keep it up, i look forward to seeing your future projects

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:02 pm 

Klang wrote:
I agree with your comments statement, so heres my opinion.

I love the character, the face is looking good and its got a nice feel. but your line quality needs work and all it needs is practice, good quality paints and brushes and a little more time spent. I have the same problem of getting wrapped up in a custom and wanting to finish it, when i should leave it for the night then come back to it.

Overall, keep it up, i look forward to seeing your future projects

I'm still trying to find the right brush for doing line work. I'm also trying to get myself to just relax and take time on each part. Thanks for the feedback!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:27 pm 

i'll piggy back on some of ianthegamer's comments. regarding the black lines, it does look a lil busy. as far as the colors go, they look faded/washed out to me. i'm not sure if that's the look you were going for or maybe it's just bc i like vibrant colors. whatever the case, it's all stuff that can be fixed and comes with practice but you still did a nice job. :)

Fifizzle, purple_alice, reactor 88, HiCeeVee, LuckyKid19, lui, busizem718, krash, excite, NinJaSkills, bluegreenkey, MADCOW, the naked one, uneekstyle, Crushgroove, babykid, cublydolls, eckotyper, Merlin, DrewBlood, Dank82, Amethystcape, therealmc, paulzdeep, Masago15, snowdragon101, Robo-Ohno, turdhole

Successful Trades with:
Ash_KBear

Want list:
Huck Gee 2011 Zombie Hunter
Huck Gee 2009 Flying Ninja
Brandt Peters Dead Bunny
Luke Chueh Possessed
Coarse Omen-Hush, Sun Age, Switch to Fall
Coarse SGM-Fever only (preferably mono)

Instagram: kid_rico_7
Twitter: kid_rico_7
Trampt: http://trampt.com/u/KidRico
Store:http://kidrico.storenvy.com/

Formerly: ch0sen0ne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:13 pm 

You're getting really good! Your lines could be cleaner but I still really like the piece. Clearly you are a fan of the Zelda games. It's an awesome design and from what seems like an awesome character. I imagine the 3" dunny you did a while back that looked similar was also meant to be Equierous.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:21 pm 

i wouldn't say the colors look washed out. Its just that the color scheme is so close to each other on some parts they sort of camouflage together.

honestly the black just seems to be not very black lol. So im wondering if you used black or some sort of black hybrid?

Im thinking of trying a striping brush myself. The same one car detailers use when striping on a car.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:49 pm 

By the way, the best advice I ever got (from gomi) is that a 18/0 liner is your best friend when it comes to clean lines. Even though you're working with relatively thick lines it is still extremely useful for the edges.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:24 pm 

ianthegamer wrote:
i wouldn't say the colors look washed out. Its just that the color scheme is so close to each other on some parts they sort of camouflage together.

honestly the black just seems to be not very black lol. So im wondering if you used black or some sort of black hybrid?

Im thinking of trying a striping brush myself. The same one car detailers use when striping on a car.

The black for the lines is straight up black.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:26 pm 

Nonegious wrote:
By the way, the best advice I ever got (from gomi) is that a 18/0 liner is your best friend when it comes to clean lines. Even though you're working with relatively thick lines it is still extremely useful for the edges.

The only size 18/0 brush that I could find at the craft store was a "spotter" the smallest "liner" is 10/0. (I assume that's bigger lol.) I know nothing about brushes. Any other tips for brushes from anyone or just insight on brushes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:58 pm 

Nonegious wrote:
You're getting really good! Your lines could be cleaner but I still really like the piece. Clearly you are a fan of the Zelda games. It's an awesome design and from what seems like an awesome character. I imagine the 3" dunny you did a while back that looked similar was also meant to be Equierous.

Yes, there is definitely some zelda influence and yes, that was another Equi.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:37 am 

PerseusHaolysce wrote:
Nonegious wrote:

The only size 18/0 brush that I could find at the craft store was a "spotter" the smallest "liner" is 10/0. (I assume that's bigger lol.) I know nothing about brushes. Any other tips for brushes from anyone or just insight on brushes.

A 10/0 liner is useful too. Pretty much any small liner is going to be good for clean work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:08 pm 

I went to Michaels today and bought a 20/0 liner. I started a new 3 inch dunny with it today. We'll see how it turns out!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:51 pm 

I'm digging this guy, looks pretty cool. The lines are bold and I kinda like the unfnished quality of the paint, the speed of it. Makes the figure look active and a little more alive somehow.

One thing I learned is that using a flow enhancer will really help your paintwork, it did mine. Get some Future Floor Wax from the market or Target or somewhere, and mix it 50-50 with water. It will make the paint flow off your brush better than straight-up water and won't get as chunky. Also, you really want to use thin layers of paint, work with something that's about the consistenct of milk or a little thicker. Don't worry about covering the surface on the first pass of the brush. Layer it up and your colors will be bright and smooth.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:35 pm 

Timbone wrote:
I'm digging this guy, looks pretty cool. The lines are bold and I kinda like the unfnished quality of the paint, the speed of it. Makes the figure look active and a little more alive somehow.

One thing I learned is that using a flow enhancer will really help your paintwork, it did mine. Get some Future Floor Wax from the market or Target or somewhere, and mix it 50-50 with water. It will make the paint flow off your brush better than straight-up water and won't get as chunky. Also, you really want to use thin layers of paint, work with something that's about the consistenct of milk or a little thicker. Don't worry about covering the surface on the first pass of the brush. Layer it up and your colors will be bright and smooth.

Thank you for the compliments and tips! So when you use something like that to get the paint flowing better, do you mix it into the paint to thin it, or how does it work? Totally uneducated in this area.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:30 pm 

"So when you use something like that to get the paint flowing better, do you mix it into the paint to thin it, or how does it work?"

Yes, exactly. You get your Future floor wax, some water, and another container, like a squeeze bottle or a jar. Fill your container halfway with wax and halfway with water, and shake it up good. Let the bubbles settle a bit, then when you take your paint and you need to thin it down a little, you mix the water-Future mix in with your paint. It doesn't disrupt the vibrancy of the color much, and flows off the brush much better. You can make longer cleaner lines and the paint will want to settle out flat a little bit more than with just water.

Try it out, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:17 pm 

Timbone wrote:
"So when you use something like that to get the paint flowing better, do you mix it into the paint to thin it, or how does it work?"

Yes, exactly. You get your Future floor wax, some water, and another container, like a squeeze bottle or a jar. Fill your container halfway with wax and halfway with water, and shake it up good. Let the bubbles settle a bit, then when you take your paint and you need to thin it down a little, you mix the water-Future mix in with your paint. It doesn't disrupt the vibrancy of the color much, and flows off the brush much better. You can make longer cleaner lines and the paint will want to settle out flat a little bit more than with just water.

Try it out, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Thank you! I might have to try that!