FAQ NEW TO Customizing *PLEASE READ*

Post pics of your custom MUNNYs, trade MUNNYs, and talk about MUNNY.

Moderator: Kidrobot Guru

Fr3sh_Soul

Post by Fr3sh_Soul » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:43 am

for super sculpey if i dont have any other oven should i just bake it in my kitchen oven? someone said it was non-toxic

and i was wonder the side effects of baking super sculpey in my kitchen oven if there are any? let know asap 8)

EyeSore

Post by EyeSore » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:58 am

many thanks, ive just uncovered the vinyl art world and this is a fountain of knowledge

edz

Post by edz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:21 am

I'm starting off with my first dunny, Do you guys draw a blueprint over with pencil first then go over with paint, or do you just paint it the first time? Although I've read all this info (hours, actually) it all still seems confusing.
Good Sellers: Uncleplant, louleeboo, NewAddictions, DMS, heebysdaman, GetterRobo, CHINO92, SecurityGeek, Mastodon, KFin67, curegurl23

Other Good Transactions: Squidnik, Timself, Droppixel

PaskalTop

hello. it`s my first post

Post by PaskalTop » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:39 pm

hello. it`s my first post

CapitannFF

interesting topic

Post by CapitannFF » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:15 pm

+100%

datbxtchyaya

Post by datbxtchyaya » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:57 am

wow i was totaly lost until i read everything. thanx so muchh !

question.. if your working with sculpting something & dont have a
oven.. what do you use? :blush:

zelas

Post by zelas » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:27 am

THanks for all the info! Just wanted to point out that the link "
Munny Box Template" no longer works :(
~zelas~
shop: zelas.etsy.com

dinkycow

thanks

Post by dinkycow » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:51 am

thanks for the info. on sculpey (still trying to get used to it) and the hairdryer info helped since the piece was too fragile to move to the oven.

G-O-A-T

LED Lights

Post by G-O-A-T » Mon May 25, 2009 1:47 am

is there anything on LED lights?

jovy_maryse

Post by jovy_maryse » Wed May 27, 2009 6:52 am

nothing on LED but but some of us have used battery operated lights

[ Added: Wed May 27, 2009 9:02 am ]
zelas wrote:THanks for all the info! Just wanted to point out that the link "
Munny Box Template" no longer works :(

:) link fixed
TOY TEMPLATES -- WHERE TO FIND?
http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?t=50661
http://www.customtoylab.com/templates/
Other
Munny Box Template
The AZN Antelope

-infinite possibilities..... its what makes the world go round.

heatherly82

Many many thanks

Post by heatherly82 » Wed May 27, 2009 11:35 am

I need this. I have had my Munny for awhile now but I got sick. I just finished Chemo. Now I can return to my hobby of making toys. :heart:

Auseklis

Newbie thanks

Post by Auseklis » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:44 pm

G'Day!

Newbie to the forum (first post)...

I just want to say thank you for this valuable information. You have saved my sanity and possibly hundreds of hours, dollars, coffee breaks.

You have made me one happy Aussie gal. xoxo
When I grow up I want to become a Munny.

robythekid66

Post by robythekid66 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:45 pm

big

Thanks.

:razz:

jager

Post by jager » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:59 am

This is GREAT! Is there one around for the mobile though?
my career plans were much more exciting when i was five.

Artron

Post by Artron » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:48 am

Hi ive been collecting munny's for a while now but im entirely new to the customizing game. So please go easy on me :)

I was just wondering if you would recommend using an airbrush for painting the munny? If so what kinds of particular air brush would you recommend?? I've been looking on Ebay and ive notice some nail airbrush for sale and i just want to know what would be most ideal for painting munny's? :D

Cheers :D

digitalmunky

Post by digitalmunky » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:45 pm

Fr3sh_Soul wrote:for super sculpey if i dont have any other oven should i just bake it in my kitchen oven? someone said it was non-toxic

and i was wonder the side effects of baking super sculpey in my kitchen oven if there are any? let know asap 8)

I would suggest using an enclosure to put into your oven, if that's the route you intend to go... Basically using metal pans (like the large aluminum bake pans, something you don't intend to eat with) sealed with aluminum foil around the edges to limit the exposure to the rest of your oven. You'd be making a mini-oven for inside your oven. However, you'd need to test it relative to temperature and bake times (it'd likely take longer to heat up your pieces and the bake times would likely increase, using an old meat thermometer sticking into the mini-oven might help)...

Some people also use heat guns (like the kind used to help strip paint), hair dryers (though they tend to overheat - I don't recommend it), and some have even tried boiling (though I believe this method would tend to distort the figures).

Good luck.

[ Added: Wed 05 Aug, 2009 4:48 am ]
Artron wrote:Hi ive been collecting munny's for a while now but im entirely new to the customizing game. So please go easy on me :)

I was just wondering if you would recommend using an airbrush for painting the munny? If so what kinds of particular air brush would you recommend?? I've been looking on Ebay and ive notice some nail airbrush for sale and i just want to know what would be most ideal for painting munny's? :D

Cheers :D

Hey Artron... I suggest you check out this page... If you still have questions, send me a PM... http://www.howtoairbrush.com/

[ Added: Wed 05 Aug, 2009 4:52 am ]
edz wrote:I'm starting off with my first dunny, Do you guys draw a blueprint over with pencil first then go over with paint, or do you just paint it the first time? Although I've read all this info (hours, actually) it all still seems confusing.

It's really up to you... Some (including myself) will LIGHTLY pencil a design onto the piece we're working on. Some people may just freehand it (which I've also done)... I suggest not using any wax based pencils (like a lot of colored pencils or crayons, etc)... Also, be aware that occasionally the pencil may rub off and you'll need to touch it up (just don't go too dark or it could prevent paint, clay, or epoxy from adhering properly)...

Good luck.
***Signature goes here***

undeadwerewolf

paint pens

Post by undeadwerewolf » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:53 am

hey i was thinking of buying a paint pen to help do the small details on my munny any suggestions :-k

jovy_maryse

Re: paint pens

Post by jovy_maryse » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:13 pm

undeadwerewolf wrote:hey i was thinking of buying a paint pen to help do the small details on my munny any suggestions :-k

i hear good things about sharpie paint markers just dont seal it with a spray
The AZN Antelope

-infinite possibilities..... its what makes the world go round.

sophiap

Re: FAQ NEW TO Customizing *PLEASE READ*

Post by sophiap » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:15 pm

posca paint markers are also great. they're perfect in my opinion because they are exactly that- markers that have paint inside them. and you can spray them after too!
-------------------------------------------------------
good deals with: mister.g, legoicecream, pennjones, C4, shadowunkle, raajr187, Gazpacho
-------------------------------------------------------
Looking for muttpop, coarse toys, half baked snake, mad*l, MCA Evil Ape and customs.

wenchkin

Post by wenchkin » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:47 am

wow, I am new to munny. I have painted a few toys but this is the greatest set of tools to a noob. Thanks so much for compiling all this.

dantats

Post by dantats » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:14 pm

Saved me the trip of searching through the whole forum for tips ! Thanks :)

Piggyson

Post by Piggyson » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:52 pm

Great Post, extremely informative!
-Piggyson

KristyLaPorte

Re:

Post by KristyLaPorte » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:49 am

datbxtchyaya wrote:question.. if your working with sculpting something & dont have a oven.. what do you use?

Many sculpters use a heat gun instead of an oven. It's shaped like a hair dryer and you use it like one, but it gets much, much hotter. (Be careful!)

I found one on clearance for $20. I haven't done any sculpting since I picked it up though, so maybe somebody else can give more information about using it.

Domina

Post by Domina » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:17 am

THANK YOU SOOOOOO Much for making all the schooling one stop/thread shopping.

I hope this helps my works a lot.

Again much appreciated!

Domina~

KristyLaPorte

Re:

Post by KristyLaPorte » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:17 am

edz wrote:I'm starting off with my first dunny, Do you guys draw a blueprint over with pencil first then go over with paint, or do you just paint it the first time?

I definitely recommend outlines first, unless you're very very confident about your visualization skills and coordination. I also recommend planning out your piece on paper first so you know exactly what you want by the time you start working.

What I like to do when I start a figure is to prime (and sand the primer a little bit with a super fine sandpaper if it happens to be very rough or textured, unless of course the texture is desired) and then I make a base coat in white (or whatever colour you want) by using several THIN layers of white acrylic paint. I build up the base coat considerably thicker than I'd normally want because I sand it down afterwards to give it a wonderful smooth finish without brush strokes etc.

The reason I mention this is because with a strong, smooth base coat, it will be much easier to draw some light pencil lines and erase them if you need to. If you're working with a rough texture, it will be more difficult to draw and erase. With guidelines drawn on, I can concentrate on my brush technique and not so much on where I'm painting.