forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:32 pm 

We purchased a mega munny for use as a guestbook at our wedding earlier this summer. The idea was pretty wild and we had a professional calligrapher do up our names in the middle of the piece and had everybody sign around it. Unfortunately, we also had some younger children at this wedding that snuck in their "autographs" directly over the calligrapher's work.

We have moved mountains trying to get this off (gasoline, acetone, etc etc). At best, we've been able to smudge and semi remove a bit. Is there anything sure-fire that can get this all the way clean? I know the fact that a few months gone by will work against us. HELP!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:01 pm 

Shoot, tricky situation! I am sure someone on these boards can chime in. Pics?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:37 pm 

Well what kind of pens did the kids use? Did the calligrapher use paint? Did he do a clear coat over your names?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:12 pm 

If it is actual sharpie you may be screwed. I hate them for painting toys because it bleeds and it stains the vinyl beyond just the surface. Beyond excising the surface the vinyl with a blade, scraping until it's gone, I don't think it's coming off. I've blanked some old Munny's I had done with sharpie and once all the paint was off you could still see where the sharpie was on the vinyl, and when I painted over it, the sharpie bled into the new paint.

ISO of: #1-1St Painted RealxNibbler - SDCC 2011, 2-Onell Chaos Invasion, 3 - Spectre Mini Pheyaos
My Flickr
Transactions

Commissions list is open. If we've talked I have you on the list already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLyEGdaOhhY<---Time Lapse Video of the making of the Mega Munny Hammer Bros.
http://vimeo.com/21803727 <----New Video "How to Strip a Dunny"

N3rd Link Check out the new Blog and Podcast!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:27 pm 

Have you tired mr clean magic eraser?

Id also love to see pics. My wife and I did the same thing, but it was a glossy black munny with gold and silver sharpies. We had the opposite problem. They never dried fully and the sharpie still rubs off to this day. We also had some kids get ahold of ours at some point in time. Big bummer.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:02 pm 

Yeah those Sharpie pens are not great on vinyl. The things WILL NOT DRY. And the magic eraser doesn't work because the ink in the sharpie seeps into the vinyl or whatever surface you're drawing on. Avoid sharpies.

ISO of: #1-1St Painted RealxNibbler - SDCC 2011, 2-Onell Chaos Invasion, 3 - Spectre Mini Pheyaos
My Flickr
Transactions

Commissions list is open. If we've talked I have you on the list already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLyEGdaOhhY<---Time Lapse Video of the making of the Mega Munny Hammer Bros.
http://vimeo.com/21803727 <----New Video "How to Strip a Dunny"

N3rd Link Check out the new Blog and Podcast!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:26 am 

just an update, but the Mr. Clean eraser actually did a very decent job. It's not perfect, but it worked a lot better than alochol and gasoline (yes, we tried that too). It was with a sharpie unfortunately, but the Mr. Clean eraser seemed to work pretty well even after months.