forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Resin Munny Makers?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:00 am 

Hi, any resin Munny makers here? After a few chipped sculpeys and falling pieces I decided to go resin for a more sturdy and strong creation. I plan to mold my Munnys crafted with sculpey and cast them in resin and make duplicates for clients.

I would like to know if I can insert the head and arms using the hairdryer or hot water technique like for vinyl or do you guys drill holes for screws and rivets? I know resin is a hard plastic and different from vinyl.

What do you guys do to maintain the articulation of a Munny when its casted in resin? I don't want to make stiff statues :)

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Resin Munny Makers?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:30 pm 

When using resin the sockets become much more rigid and unforgiving compared to vinyl. The peg and the hole need to be almost exactly the same size or else it will be too tight or too loose. Sometimes I like to use some kind of buffer so that say the arm stays in the hole still but it is still able to turn. So the resin pieces that I have made still articulate and fit together like a typical vinyl piece but the fit has to be much more precise.

Good luck learning to cast. There is a definite learning curve and be prepared to ruin a bunch of casts before you get the hang of it.

ISO of: #1-1St Painted RealxNibbler - SDCC 2011, 2-Onell Chaos Invasion, 3 - Spectre Mini Pheyaos
My Flickr
Transactions

Commissions list is open. If we've talked I have you on the list already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLyEGdaOhhY<---Time Lapse Video of the making of the Mega Munny Hammer Bros.
http://vimeo.com/21803727 <----New Video "How to Strip a Dunny"

N3rd Link Check out the new Blog and Podcast!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:53 am 

That's the kind of info I'm looking for. Thank you Nikejerk for your input and insight! :)

BTW, I dig your work on that Mega Munny and flipping it into a Hammer koopa. You definitely know your stuff.

I have experience building resin kits but a real newb at casting. Already ruined a couple but now since I bought a postal scale, things are going smoothly. Slowly but smoothly.

I was researching and saw some artists use neodymium magnets too. I tried looking for types of rivets too but found nothing exactly what I need. I need something like a small caster stem and sockets. Magnets might be the way to go though.

Keep the methods coming. :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:53 am 

Yes I use magnets a lot and are helpful because you get a clean interface but I really only use them in that capacity when I am building figures from scratch and can plan that into the design and sculpt. If I'm casting a sculpt made from an existing vinyl piece I will just make the existing socket work. I have never used any kind of rivet.

And I use a digital scale that most people use to weigh grams of something else.

Appreciate the compliments. I've been casting for a while now but each piece is a new and different challenge. The hardest part for me is getting rid of all the air bubbles. I built a pressure pot myself that is doing the trick but remains a challenge depending on the piece.

ISO of: #1-1St Painted RealxNibbler - SDCC 2011, 2-Onell Chaos Invasion, 3 - Spectre Mini Pheyaos
My Flickr
Transactions

Commissions list is open. If we've talked I have you on the list already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLyEGdaOhhY<---Time Lapse Video of the making of the Mega Munny Hammer Bros.
http://vimeo.com/21803727 <----New Video "How to Strip a Dunny"

N3rd Link Check out the new Blog and Podcast!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:13 am 

Nice one!

Interesting, so even in resin form, a munny can be articulated like its vinyl master as long I shave the pegs properly for a tight and smooth fit. I guess screws and magnets are optional after all.

So far, I redid the mold for the body using the brush-on technique which is much better and saves liters of silicone than the pour-on method. Its much better than the last mold. Next is the head and arms. Can't wait to see how the first perfect cast will look once completed and painted.

Thanks again Nikejerk!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:09 am 

OK update on my resin munny venture.

It appears that my munny mold will need 1.41 gallons of resin if I was to go solid. Bummer, that's a lot of resin for one figure. Was looking into rotocasting. I might just make molds for certain pieces and cast them into resin and glue them on a munny with 2 part epox which seems to be more economical.

I live in Puerto Rico and the only resin available is Bondo polyester resin which may not be ideal. Specialty Resin.com is excellent but shipping is an extra $80.00 for me.

I'm still experimenting but one way it another, I'm gonna get it right.

Stay tuned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:02 am 

Another update.

Experimenting like a mad alchemist :badgrin:

I was wrong, you can use Bondo Resin but its murderous in stench. I tried rotocasting manually and it does work effectively but I haven't mastered it 100%. I find the lay up technique much more accurate to do by mixing resin with marble sand to make it nice thick syrup so the resin can hold at vertical angles. Then I pour in more resin and close the molds and manually rotocast for about 5 minutes and let it cure for an hour. The results are freaking excellent though I hoped the marble sand would leave a matte finish but instead came out glossy. Which is okay too. Really strong plastic with the marble mix.

I will return with pics and detailed explanations of how its done this or next week depending on my schedule.

Also, I got in touch with Specialty Resin and if I order through their website instead of eBay, shipping will only cost $18 bucks :D No more toxic Bondo for me.

Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:23 pm 

Ok, finally getting my resin groove on. Rotocasting is a lot of fun and doesn't use up much resin liquid. I use about 3 to 4 ounces for each piece of 5"x6"x6". By adding marble dust makes it very peanut butter creamy to brush in a slush casting fashion. In this video, I rotocast the torso but skipped the marble filling just to show how easy it was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UnjdxwD4Ek

And these are my failed resin heads. Solution was to add more resin and marble dust.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:56 am 

Thanks for taking the time to post that video. That's an interesting approach.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:50 am 

These resin figures are handmade and handpainted by me. Their dimensions are 9.75H x 6.5W x 8D.

I made an album in 2012 called The Gasmask Tortures which was an underground success for me. I drew the album cover as well and the character got a lot of attention. I wanted to make resin figures of him. So I made another album, The Grun Reaper Headstones, to fund my resin figure project. That was a success too and made enough to buy all the materials needed to bring this idea to reality.

Project began on Halloween night of 2014 where I started with a Kidrobot Munny blank and Sculpey. And now on July 21, 2015 I have finally accomplished my goal of making 12 one of a kind figures made of black resin. Even built my own rotocaster which is a simple bbq motor on a seesaw :)

If any of you would like to purchase an art piece they are available @http://illgreen.bandcamp.com/merch/ill-green-limited-edition-h-doshi-art-figures

Thank you for reading :)[/quote]