forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:34 am 

Hey guys. I hear a lot of people on here raving about Posca markers and I've seen beautiful results come from their use. Sadly, aside from ordering online with international shipping charges, I don't have access to them. Question is then, what's a decent alternative?

In my area all I really have access to are Prismacolor Premier, Copic Sketch Markers, and the basic Sharpie in a variety of colors. Anybody shoot me some info as to how they stack up against each other and Poscas? How about pros and cons?

I did pick up a Prismacolor black marker for details and fine lines. Was generally impressed until I went to fill in a large area. 24 hours later and it still feels tacky and leaves a fingerprint when touched lightly. I was perhaps over eager to start and didn't prime. That could be my problem. Anyway, any help regarding markers, techniques, brands, whatever, would be greatly appreciated. I'm about to just go straight for acrylics and brush only... :doubt:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:32 am 

I bought a huge set of prismacolor markers years ago. Such a mistake. The colours look amazing, but the markers run out ridiculously fast. And at nearly $4 a marker (in Canada anyway) it's not worth it at all. Also, they don't blend. Ever.

I don't know about Poscas or the rest, but I really don't like the prismas.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:40 am 

I use a combination of spray paint, acrylics, Posca, Prismacolor, Sharpie, Fabre Castell and Copic. Prismas are only good for details on top of fields I've already colored with spray paint. They do not fill areas solid at all and I clear coat after each significant application. Same thing with Copic and Fabre Castell...good for outlining and fine detail but has to be sealed. Poscas are great because they go on opaque on pretty much any surface, they fill nicely for solid areas, are good for details...but are fragile once dry and also has to be sealed. I have not found an alternative for Poscas. Really the only markers I've found like that. Sharpies are good for a variety of uses but I get frustrated with them. Usually just end up using them to help fill in solid black areas that just need touchups in combination with the Poscas.

ISO of: #1-1St Painted RealxNibbler - SDCC 2011, 2-Onell Chaos Invasion, 3 - Spectre Mini Pheyaos
My Flickr
Transactions

Commissions list is open. If we've talked I have you on the list already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLyEGdaOhhY<---Time Lapse Video of the making of the Mega Munny Hammer Bros.
http://vimeo.com/21803727 <----New Video "How to Strip a Dunny"

N3rd Link Check out the new Blog and Podcast!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:33 am 

P4U53 wrote:
I bought a huge set of prismacolor markers years ago. Such a mistake. The colours look amazing, but the markers run out ridiculously fast. And at nearly $4 a marker (in Canada anyway) it's not worth it at all. Also, they don't blend. Ever.

have you tried using a prismacolor blender?

People I'm comfortable dealing with: Hypnotiq, Fuller, Eyeforaneye, DrftDrgn21, Chrisosaur, Irulan, Zombiemonkie, Pomasta, dunzo, esro, nerviswr3k, AlbertOne, blackandblueNH, CasWunn, Janeeliz22 (if i forgot you, pm me)
I would never deal with Art Asylum Boston or Jason Zenga. This is why.

How to Prep your Dunny (by Mezzn and Fail2Evolve) http://vimeo.com/24965810

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:11 pm 

Yeah man. I have one, but it just seemed to make things worse. It seems like Prisma's blender is just a marker filled with water.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:25 pm 

P4U53 wrote:
Yeah man. I have one, but it just seemed to make things worse. It seems like Prisma's blender is just a marker filled with water.

yeah i'm pretty sure it's just loaded with alcohol.

People I'm comfortable dealing with: Hypnotiq, Fuller, Eyeforaneye, DrftDrgn21, Chrisosaur, Irulan, Zombiemonkie, Pomasta, dunzo, esro, nerviswr3k, AlbertOne, blackandblueNH, CasWunn, Janeeliz22 (if i forgot you, pm me)
I would never deal with Art Asylum Boston or Jason Zenga. This is why.

How to Prep your Dunny (by Mezzn and Fail2Evolve) http://vimeo.com/24965810

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:28 pm 

i've never used prismacolor on toys, but prismacolor on paper is amazing! I don't use the blender, i found the best way to blend prismacolor is first do your base color. Then do your darker color where you want it to be a shadow. Then take your base color again and go over and over and over just where the dark color meets the light. Blends awesome!

Again, haven't used them on toys but have gotten amazing results on paper.

I think it's best to just use paints on the toys anyway, but that's just my opinion. :D

follow me on instagram: @tonydevitoart

online store: deVitoart.storenvy.com

zombie sanctuary BB series thread.
http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=157625&p=2062406#p2062406

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:25 am