forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:59 am 

after finding munnys threw kidrobot and searching the web for every possible picture of a customized munny i couldnt wait to get my hands on one. a few days later i accidentally discovered a store with the all glorious vinyl canvas that is the munny. i bought one and began to read on these forums about what to do first and what materials to use. i decided to go with poster paint sharpies cuz i thought i could draw much easier with a marker than a brush (acrylic paints). i went to hobby lobby and bought some poster paint markers. water based. i wasnt sure of the difference between water and oil so i just picked one. i eagerly cracked open my munny. right then and there i decided this will be my personal experiment. im gonna use this munny to learn and explore to find out wat works best. i didnt prime, i didnt sand, i didnt even wash it off with soap. i dove into it. cracked open the markers and started shakin em. i noticed some colors worked better than others. the silver stayed kind of sticky when it dried and the felt was somewhat scratchy. but the black went on smooth without a hitch. i observed that pressing the felt inside the marker lets more ink out which results in a smoother application. i left it overnight and applied another coat or two the next day. again it seemed the silver's felt scraped away the first layer but it was easy to color over and cover it up. i tried different tapes to mask off lines for the sharpies and i found that scotch tape matte finish works the best. i tried duct tape, masking tape, painters tape, electric tape. and the best i found (least bleed) was the scotch tape. so i continued to color and i must admit i was pleased with the performance of the sharpies. they may not be as clean and straight as spraying or painting but they met my needs. so i hope this helps anybody thats thinking of using the poster paint markers. im starting another munny next week and im gonna wash it sand it and prime it, so ill let you all know how that one goes. so to conclude..

sharpie poster paint markers (water based) - good, shake well, occasionally press in the felt, and be sure to apply a couple layers after it's completely dried
scotch tape - works best for straight lines, doesn't show hardly any bleed if pressed onto the surface tightly
rubbing alcohol is best for removing the sharpies. i used q tips and dipped it in alcohol and slowly dabbed it. seemed to work pretty good. however occasionally streaks get left behind id recommend sanding those down or possibly applying sharpie to cover them.
the sharpie paint tends to scratch off easily (prolly cuz i didnt prime) so be careful with it and add a few layers.

hope this helps somebody if you have any questions let me know and ill try to answer them the best i can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:50 am 

oh my gosh this thread answered my questions amazingly! thank you so much for taking the time to right this out!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:24 am 

Great post. Basically tells my exact story. Spend days lookijng at customs, found a store selling munnys, bought munny and then went to hobby lobby where I purchased oil based sharpie paint markers haha. I'm gonna get started in the next few days so I'll let you know how the oil paint markers go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:46 am 

I used oil based sharpie markers after washing, priming, and sanding a mini munny and it seemed to work well enough. But that was with priming and sanding however. I am not sure how well they would work on just a cleaned munny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:53 pm 

I just recently started my munny addiction. i found that if i use sharpies and then apply a spray clear coat afterwords, the munny looks great and feels great. no stickie. i have dont this with both the standard sharpies and the oil-based sharpies. gets a little sticky at times while im working on it, but i just use some latex gloves and im fine. and once the clear coat goes on its all set.

I have also used acrylic paints, and they work great as well. personally i feel like i have a little less control with a brush than a pen so i my stick with the pens for now.

Prep-wise, when using the sharpies all i did was wash the munny. when using the paint, i washed the munny and then primed it before applying the paint. all of this has been working well so far.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:38 am 

rubbing alcohol is best for removing the sharpies. i used q tips and dipped it in alcohol and slowly dabbed it. seemed to work pretty good. however occasionally streaks get left behind id recommend sanding those down or possibly applying sharpie to cover them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:39 am 

I would avoid Sharpies altogether. I'm not sure what's in them but Sharpies are the enemy that keep on giving. Over time the Sharpie will bleed and run. It soaks into the Munny, it soaks into the clear coat and eventually looks terrible. When I started painting 10 years ago I was using Sharpies, and now it all looks awful. There are much better alternatives like Posca, Molotow, Montana....all make really nice paint pens that are a million times better.

ISO of: #1-1St Painted RealxNibbler - SDCC 2011, 2-Onell Chaos Invasion, 3 - Spectre Mini Pheyaos
My Flickr
Transactions

Commissions list is open. If we've talked I have you on the list already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLyEGdaOhhY<---Time Lapse Video of the making of the Mega Munny Hammer Bros.
http://vimeo.com/21803727 <----New Video "How to Strip a Dunny"

N3rd Link Check out the new Blog and Podcast!