forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Jon Burgerman Pepsi Ad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:00 pm 

Happy or dissapointed?

I'm still not sure. We all have to eat though....I guess....

I love Jons work a lot....I guess for a Pepsi ad it is outta this world...

currently selling squidboy custom babo, 12" purple go ciboy, monsterism horned and flocked, kubrick balzac red bearbrick 400%, and others stuff....but I had to put it on that other website that I hate. *hint*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:05 pm 

Well, it looks really nice, but I maybe it would look nicer if there was no pepsi in the middle?

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:12 pm 

I know...I ahte this dilema....I love Jons work and saw this ad (the pic is the original work) in a sorta okay music magazine....it shocked me...I had to look and see if he had actually done the ad...

But what do I know...I like the Pete Fowler Kia commercials...so I am lame.

currently selling squidboy custom babo, 12" purple go ciboy, monsterism horned and flocked, kubrick balzac red bearbrick 400%, and others stuff....but I had to put it on that other website that I hate. *hint*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:17 pm 

i think its pretty cool,love jons work, but id do the same thing if pepsi asked me too.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:17 pm 

I would like it more if it was a better pop, like barqs!
I think he did a good job though, and it pays the bills!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:23 pm 

These kind of jobs really help artists survive. I never understood why people are bothered by this sort of thing.

LP Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:31 pm 

I still love Jon as much as ever...just wasnt expecting this ad.. :):)

Kinda like if TADO worked with mcDonalds..... :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:36 pm 

spookypaw wrote:
Kinda like if TADO worked with mcDonalds..... :shock: :shock:

Tado happy meals, eh? Id actually want to go to McDonalds!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:39 pm 

I would go too...:):)

i am not angry at Jon (who would care if I was!:)) i just wish that cooler companies had the cash to comission great artists like him. Music companies, clothing companies...anything kinda artsy....it just pains me that Pepsi has a ton of money to actually produce ads like these....

I love Jon...I love his/your work...just had a moment of Twilight Zone seeing the ad...

Sorry if I offended anyone with the post...I was just curious...

(maybe it;s cause I'm a "coke" kinda guy??? :):):))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:01 pm 

the piece is great. artists need to do these jobs too so they can have the freedom to do other more underground things.
i think its great as more people will see JB's work & possibly bring in new fans.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7552390

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:10 pm 
Lttr Prssd wrote:
These kind of jobs really help artists survive. I never understood why people are bothered by this sort of thing.

exactly! although, i'd prefer if it were coke. pepsi always tasted like sewer water to me. but, hey, more power to jon. it's a sweet little ad as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:30 pm 

jons the man!

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=7552390

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:40 pm 

I think artists should do whatever they want. I'm all for Jon doing just that... Besides whats the difference between this and coke trexis ( I support artists doing those too). Hopefully Jon got a good payday outta this. I'm not sure but I dont think hes particularly underground in England, hes got a whole level done up in the PSP version of Wipeout...not to mention the ads.
Yay Jon!

http://abelincolnjr.posterous.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:10 pm 

And spook, I wasn't jumping down your throat. I just think that artists taking jobs from mega-corporations is a non-issue.

LP Blog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:29 pm 

his art is still burgerman style so I think its cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:41 pm 

Good for Jon! Congrates on eating and living indoors. - L

Flickry flickr
www.flickr.com/photos/leecifer1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:23 am 

hey guys!
we love jons pepsi piece!! its a very respectable project to be asked to work on as well!!

as far as working for certain companies goes, its just part of our job. some companies 'get it', others dont. we cant speak for jon, but we are extremely proud of our client list and certainly enjoy working for the larger companies.
of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion about certain companies - it comes down to the individual about who they choose to work with. everyone has their own opinions and everyone should respect each others.

we're very lucky in that we usually manage to get a nice balance of commercial work and fun work, and this kind of job is what keeps us going.
we've done work for several big companies. we really enjoy that kind of work - its what we do.

both jon and ourselves work freelance at this thing full time - we dont have 9-5 jobs. unfortunately doing art shows and toys certainly doesnt pay the bills - its something we do because we love it and enjoy it! :D:D
working freelance means that without big jobs, there would be no way for the art shows, toys, t-shirt projects etc to happen. we'd be on the streets and burgerman probably wouldnt have any cake to eat. this would make him a very sad creature. :D:D

again, we cant speak for jon, but we would say that we are just designers or illustrators - we get paid to draw things for people - thats our job.

sorry if this sounds like a wee bit of a rah rah!! we're just trying to explain that this kinda thing isnt unusual at all, and that its the amazing work that matters not what its advertising!
wafflewaffle crumpetflaffles!
m and k

[ Added: Fri 18 Aug, 2006 ]
gosh that was a long post!! sorry!!!! :D:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:29 am 
it's nice, i wonder if he likes pepsi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:59 pm 

Yeah! Great to see a looong post from the TADOs....

I'm just a grumble grump because there is waaay too much advertising in the US. Just looking out my window I see 5 or 6 ads...yuck! When I was in London/Amsterdam/Copenhagen I saw very few advertisments...it was a really nice calming change from 'Merica.

I have researched (stalked) a bunch of the Tado ads and seen companies use great artists for stuff....I love the KIA Fowler ads.....in the US it just seems more of an exploitive kinda thing. Like Tylenol and Ron Rege Jr.

Congrats for Jon for keeping misself out of a 9-5...or a 10-8 for that matter...:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:37 pm 

i hear ya, spooky. there are advertisements EVERYWHERE you look. we're bombarded with companies telling us to buy this and that. it's irritating.

but that's an awesome advertisement by jon! great work, burgerflan!

btw, pepsi is better than coke. :)
and it's a soda not a "pop." ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:56 pm 

weve all gotta eat, thats very true, this ad is awesome though, i mean if any of us got asked to do an ad for pepsi or something i know theyd do it, either way this thing is the best ad ive sseen for pepsi, in my own opinion..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:59 pm 

Agreed...this is the best that PepsiCo has lookedi n a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:39 pm 
I like it, to bad I dont drink pepsi though :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:32 pm 

i think as long as the artist gets to keep control of thier own artistic freedom its sweet! great for the artist great for the company.. but for a better reason the big companies are starting to recognize urban/low brow artists as a really big draw to the "gen y" demographic which is who everyone is marketing towards these days... wasn't there a camel cig. artist pack that just came out, fowler did a commercial for something (?)... i even heard tris has got some big stuff coming up beyond the Burger King "Subservient Chicken" toy he did..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:01 pm 

That Burger King chicken is a joke. Worst toy in 06....worse than the preganant "ghetto" mama.....

But I agree with you about the Pepsi ad and the Fowler ads...they did retain their integrity....I even like both of them a lot!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next