forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:30 pm 

Can someone, anyone out there clarify the true meaning of CHASE!!!! I dont get it i have been collecting since series 4, i bought 3 cases and stil had to purchase my FERIC on the bay cause i did not pull one. Then Colette series came out i bought 3 cases and still had to buy cat and dog on the bay, yet i got 7 polka dot "CHASE" in 3 cases, now some of you will probaly get angry but i sell most of my doubles, triples, etc on the bay, there was a ton of polka dot "CHASES" on there so how is it a chase. Now with the french series there are a bunch of the so called "CHASES" for sale on the bay. I dont get it are secret chase and chase totally different? Believe me i am not a flipper i am a collector i have paid top dollar, for most of the rarer dunnies and i have only sold 1 chase on the bay Matt Rinks. I just really want to know what a chase is, is it the 1/400 dunny or the dunnies they dont show on the side of the box, Is it the SANER or the NO STUMP MOCRE, the DALEK or the TARA i just dont get it.

[ Added: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:34 pm ]
Totally forgot to mention the other so called "CHASE HANAH ATCHINSON" from tattoo is this considered a chase or a mystery chase, my guess is mystery seeing that i have an army of them, and just for the clarification the best answer gets a hanah 3" mailed to them no BS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:40 pm 

...You really don't understand what a chase is? Really?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:44 pm 

Chase means the rarest figure in a series
Mystery means the figure that isn't on the box for a series.

refs: sleep, mike.furious, chelseacandy (x2), haseown (x2), SPS, boog7707, tommynathan (x3), (generic name), Gbaby, eclipse, seena32, sugarhill, ritedere, biffpow, viper2001_21, djfohm (x2), flapjack, ghepman, Daeo, coffeekid, DreVanFuzen, wacko, rottierook, Altion, essicaj-_-, DeMoNMuNkY, jfresh001, kom22, Dunn Da-Da, highland19, AJB603, yates, KTalluto, zmonkee78, stilspinin, EASheartsvinyl, cbankla (x2), leinad, rimamir, RoyalFlush911, droid241, rhymetimechild, axstar, mattFoley, TinyKilla, Squidnik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:45 pm 

no i know what it means, chases are harder to get but not all the time put a little thought into seriously

[ Added: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:46 pm ]
not all true the the polka dot was considered a chase not a mystery its not hard to find at all i mean now it is but when colette was just coming out there were hundreds of them

[ Added: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:47 pm ]
but here wasnt a hundred ferics when series 3 was out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:48 pm 

You can open 1,000,000 cases of Series 4 .. and you will not get a FERIC !! :rolleyes:
I'm sure you meant series 3.

Chases are dunny's not specified in the box.

Azteca:
hula+hula was a chase ... No stump mocre and gid Beast bros as well as artemio w/watering can.... chases

Series 4:
Diver, hucks, open eye ... chases

... do i win?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:51 pm 

how is the hula a chase there was a bunch on the bay and they werent even selling for 10 bucks its not a chase i had a bunch of them no lie probaly about 13 at one point

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:52 pm 

hula+hula ... common chase ... still a chase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:53 pm 

This whole thread is like one big chase!!! Do I WIN!??!?? :rock:

poppidunny wrote:
read my other post called understanding the chase and i will send free hanah dunny from tattoo series to the best answer just wanna make it fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:55 pm 

makes no sense those two words should not go together its either hard to get or not and if its a chase it should be rare when i opened my first case of azteca dunnies and pulled a hula like in the second box i was buggin my first chase ever then there were like 3 more in the same box i was like huh? its just a random dunny there are a ton out there not a chase in my opinoin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:57 pm 

poppidunny wrote:
how is the hula a chase there was a bunch on the bay and they werent even selling for 10 bucks its not a chase i had a bunch of them no lie probaly about 13 at one point

I have to side with poppidunny on this one, I believe that a chases are mystery/surprise figures. Some are easy to find, other are harder. The Saner, though difficult to find was not a chase because it was on the box with a listed ratio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:57 pm 

Quest1 wrote:
Azteca:
hula+hula was a chase ... No stump mocre and gid Beast bros as well as artemio w/watering can.... chases

Series 4:
Diver, hucks, open eye ... chases

... do i win?

No, HulaHula wasn't a chase, it was a mystery fig. The reason there were tons of Polka Dot Colettes on the bay was because it too was only a mystery a fig...it's real ratio was 1/25. The true Colette chases were the Cap+Pep chase (1/64, it was also a mystery) and the Mike Mills (3/64)...even though Mike Mills was on the box, it's still considered the secondary chase, seeing as it has the second rarest ratio.

Look at the tattoo series: Hannah Aitchinson wasn't a chase, it was only a mystery figure. It wasn't shown on the box, but it was a 2/16 so it was common. The real chases were the Matt Rinks (??/??, also a mystery) and the Nick Baxter (1/48).

Conclusion: Just because a dunny is a mystery does NOT make it a chase. A chase is a hard to get dunny, so look at the dunnys in a series that are significantly difficult to obtain and those are your chases.

refs: sleep, mike.furious, chelseacandy (x2), haseown (x2), SPS, boog7707, tommynathan (x3), (generic name), Gbaby, eclipse, seena32, sugarhill, ritedere, biffpow, viper2001_21, djfohm (x2), flapjack, ghepman, Daeo, coffeekid, DreVanFuzen, wacko, rottierook, Altion, essicaj-_-, DeMoNMuNkY, jfresh001, kom22, Dunn Da-Da, highland19, AJB603, yates, KTalluto, zmonkee78, stilspinin, EASheartsvinyl, cbankla (x2), leinad, rimamir, RoyalFlush911, droid241, rhymetimechild, axstar, mattFoley, TinyKilla, Squidnik

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:04 am 

so twotwelve: Is Series 4 huck a chase or a mystery? What about open eyed jessup? Pretty common/not pictured ... chase or mystery, series 4 had 2 mystery .. huck and diver.

Last edited by Quest1 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:05 am 

HMNNN!!!! i like th answer let me think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:14 am 

Quest1 wrote:
so twotwelve: Is Series 4 huck a chase or a mystery? What about open eyed jessup? Pretty common/not pictured ... chase or mystery, series 4 had 2 mystery .. huck and diver.

Huck is a chase AND a mystery. A figure can be one or the other or both, just because it's a mystery does not make it a chase and vice versa.

Personally, I think the three chases of s4 were the two Hucks and the Diver...the OE Jessup was a mystery, but not quite a chase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:16 am 

Quest1 wrote:

open eye jessup is not a chase. its a varient. Just like watering can Artemio.

BB GID and no stump mocre were varients but they are chases because of their rarity.

It looks like the white afro guy in French series is a varient as well.

Good trades/ buys with: dieselbouy, tunneler66, rc44, c483125117, vinylwhanker, qwest1mark, DeMoNMuNkY, o_kedoki, Ninwest, Fes, Highland19, MidasTouch357, 666doll, nathan.ferris, DreVanFuzen, jmf337x2, misterine, wacko, quasimo, TheGFM,
and many other members since 2007!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:17 am 

twotwelve wrote:
Quest1 wrote:
...Personally, I think the three chases of s4 were the two Hucks and the Diver...the OE Jessup was a mystery, but not quite a chase.

but there where 2 mystery pix on the box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:18 am 

Quest1 wrote:
twotwelve wrote:
Quest1 wrote:
...Personally, I think the three chases of s4 were the two Hucks and the Diver...the OE Jessup was a mystery, but not quite a chase.

but there where 2 mystery pix on the box.

the one mystery pic is the outline of the huck obviously. the GID and the RED huck are the same figure so why would they put 3 mystery dunnys on the box

Good trades/ buys with: dieselbouy, tunneler66, rc44, c483125117, vinylwhanker, qwest1mark, DeMoNMuNkY, o_kedoki, Ninwest, Fes, Highland19, MidasTouch357, 666doll, nathan.ferris, DreVanFuzen, jmf337x2, misterine, wacko, quasimo, TheGFM,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:21 am 

okay, here's my real answer. Simply put, a chase is something that is rare. Even if you see the picture on the box and it gives you the ratio. In the latest example, the Easy Hey dunny is the chase for the French series. This is the figure that people will be paying the big money for, its the one that everyone needs, and its the one that keeps people buying dunnies long after they have the rest of the series. (bad example since it seems most people don't like that dunny)

Mystery is the dunny that doesn't show on the box. It gets the collectors talking and wondering. It builds up the suspense so on release day anyone who gets one will be crazy happy and have something to talk about on the way home (french series is also a bad example because pictures leaked, and both mystery dunnies are 1/25... the "mystery" has gotten old... fast).

So why have a mystery dunny that's 1/25? I think this is KR's way to market to the casual passer-byer who will buy some boxes but not a full case (also not the person will frequent these forums). Without having the full case to measure out the possibilities, the casual buyer will never know what the ratio is, which essentially leaves a sense of wonderment. A false chase for us, but a chase nonetheless for the non-hardcore collector.

I think KR made the right financial move with this tiered chase scheme. But I also think they should not have implemented it for a relatively weak series. The off-the-wall ratio for a mediocre dunny will drive some of the middle ground collectors away.

On top of all of that, it gets people like us, to write stuff like this, which is what grassroots marketing is all about, no?

Now do I win?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:28 am 

it all started with azteca too( the mystery false chase crap) . blah. I guess Series 4 had the last true chase/ mystery figure although horribly distributed..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:29 am 

Cheffan, you win 10000%, said everything I tried to say but couldn't find the words for.

Basically, the idea of them making "common" mysteries is simply so that everyone feels like a winner. That's actually how I got started; bought an Azteca blindbox and got a Hula Hula, went online to research how much it's worth (:lol:), and got sucked into this world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:31 am 

A figure that's 1/400 is a chase figure due to its rarity, whether or not its a ? or has a picture on the box. A ?/? may or may not be a chase,again depending how limited the figure is. A ?/? that turns out being a variant or 1/25 and is blacked outon the box is a mystery figure...or again,could be a chase if super limited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:39 am 

the winner is cheff hit me up with your address im a man of my word thanks to everyone for the input

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:43 am 

poppidunny wrote:
the winner is cheff hit me up with your address im a man of my word thanks to everyone for the input

oh sh!t, I didn't even see you were offering anything! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:47 am 

i already have three hannahs. I was just adding to the discussion. but nice gesture! there needs to be more good things on the boards. so much hate since series 4 came out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:54 am 

poppidunny wrote:

woohoo! I haven't felt this great about winning something since I won the sixth grade poster contest (theme: car safety)!! meeeeeemoriesssssssss

uhmski wrote:
i already have three hannahs. I was just adding to the discussion. but nice gesture! there needs to be more good things on the boards. so much hate since series 4 came out.

+1

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next