forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:53 pm 

i am with you. everyone will be getting a case of these LA dunny's this time. they are all so cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:56 pm 
i dont get why people think stores shouldn't sell things for the price they can get when they have a hot item.

do the same people complaining about this insist on paying full retail when stores have sales?

i doubt it, and it's the same thing.

these stores take risks, months before these products are released, and if the risk doesn't pay off, they lose money by having to sell items at discount prices. so, when the risk does pay off, and they have a hot product, i don't hate on them for taking advantage of the situation, just like they don't hate me when i take advantage of a sale at their store.
some times your are on the sweet side of supply and demand, sometimes you're not, you can't have it both ways.

personally, i'd rather pay more to a store that supports the scene than to someone that bought it at retail to sell on ebay. why should they profit? they didn't support the artist or manufacturer.

i'm a business owner though, and i can appreciate the risk these companies take and i think they (not flippers) deserve the rewards when it happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:07 pm 

If stores turn into flippers, then why should those flippers be able to buy the toys for wholesale price while the rest of them have to pay retail? Maybe addude and kingirl should be able to have wholesale accounts too (maybe they do, who knows)? The artist and producer decide what the toy should sell for, and thats what I expect to pay. Sure, anyone can charge what they want, but I would hope that if a store turns into an ebay reseller that they would lose their wholesale status, and flip like everyone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:16 pm 

For the record, I plan on splitting a few cases of the LA series with my friends and I know none of us will be flipping anything.

http://www.myspace.com/theadversarybooks

Good trades and sales with: The_Z, lqdog, djfohm, Wacko, Lowpro1, Zcneu, hgreene24, Aussietoyrama, Kingcrt, Uberboy, Shadowchaser, Slack, level5toys, Dunnydave, bombsh!t19, drunkmunky02, Halfapparition, creport, mikeyle, CoNgEe, rafissaying, KidBarbobot, Justinvancouver, Coasterbear, Eric The Red, $and, haseown, organicsalsa, Ozzy, miyestyle, MrAfternoon. Good Traders Testimony: Pg. 75, 79, 81, 103, 111, 120, 121, 122, 151, 156

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:39 pm 
the "suggested" retail price is set before the toys are even manufactured.
that is part of the reason why it is suggested and not mandated.
also because manufactures give retailers the discretion to sell for higher or lower prices, depending on the situation.
and, by definintion, retail means sale to the consumer or end user.
if the retail stores are selling them at prices that are so low that they can be sold for twice the price on ebay to the actual end user/consumer, they are not selling them at retail because they are not selling to the consumer, they are selling to a middle man.
retail price = consumer price.
the market determines that price, not the artist or the manufacturer, they can only suggest what that price might be.
and i think the retail stores deserve that money for taking the risk and keeping the manufacturer and artist in business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:48 pm 

In my opinion, the original source from which a consumer buys something from always needs to stick to close to MSRP. What if Ticketmaster decided to sell sold out concert tickets for their ebay value? or if Best Buy sold Xbox 360s for their "consumer price" of over $1000?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:51 pm 

Meary wrote:
In my opinion, the original source from which a consumer buys something from always needs to stick to close to MSRP. What if Ticketmaster decided to sell sold out concert tickets for their ebay value? or if Best Buy sold Xbox 360s for their "consumer price" of over $1000?

from a technical, legal standpoint ticketmaster or best buy could do those things. however from a moral standpoint i feel they would be very wrong.
also, some companies make the stores selling their merchandise adhere strictly to the MSRP(i am sure that microsoft has companies by the balls when it comes to the releases of the xbox, etc)

For news or upcoming events, check out my blog at http://maz156.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:11 pm 

wacko, i apologize if you dont have affiliation with la luz...but your name IMPLIES that you are affiliated with the store

you seem to have quite an IN to purchase multiples of these JLED'S at retail...you have quite an impressive collection of art given to you on a personal basis, and also have posted ice auctions that originate in the same city as la luz (silverlake)....its just one huge coincidence. and i apologize for jumping to a conclusion.

have a nice holiday.

trying not to hate, just bums me out.

i work in music, and could EASILY make mad cash flipping tickets, but i wouldnt ever even think about it...im offered extra money all the time by parents trying to get their kids into a show at my venue...i never pocket a dime...its just a karma thing. can jews believe in karma? haha.

jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:10 pm 
hate. let it grow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:23 pm 
dunnyaddicted wrote:
hate. let it grow.

No more hate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:43 pm 
I think what sux about stores selling for above retail is the fact it is a stupid move. I know if my local store had sold me a bunny at retail (I was to late at my local store) I would buy from them for a long time even if it meant spending a little more. So my local store lost out on a lot of business by not selling me a bunny at retail. They lose, I lose, the person who bought a bunny for 2 notes loses. I don't hold it against the store for making a extra 100, but it was short sighted on their part and that is lame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:17 am 
McDougall wrote:
I think what sux about stores selling for above retail is the fact it is a stupid move. I know if my local store had sold me a bunny at retail (I was to late at my local store) I would buy from them for a long time even if it meant spending a little more. So my local store lost out on a lot of business by not selling me a bunny at retail. They lose, I lose, the person who bought a bunny for 2 notes loses. I don't hold it against the store for making a extra 100, but it was short sighted on their part and that is lame.

exactly, stores like Munkey king and Panics Toy Box will never have my buisness again and I am sure many other people feel the same way after the stunt MK pulled. They may have some decent exclusives comming out.. but I will be buying them elsewhere despite the price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:52 am 

DD, WHAT DID MUNKY DO?

JON

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:55 am 

jonvespa wrote:
DD, WHAT DID MUNKY DO?

JON

probably talking about them telling people over the phone that their order was in, promising them that the items were theirs, would be held for them, etc....then calling back a couple hours later and saying "oh sorry, we had to sell yours"
also, munky king refused to sell the ice/sno to anyone who lived outside of LA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:56 am 
madchao wrote:

personally, i'd rather pay more to a store that supports the scene than to someone that bought it at retail to sell on ebay. why should they profit? they didn't support the artist or manufacturer.

When MSRPs are set, there reflect what the artists is getting payed along with manufacturing costs and any other overhead. Whether you buy the item at MSRP or some other but raping price, you are supporting the artist's popularity for future work and JLED doesen't make any more or any less money from the deal. Keeping in-line with MSRPs is moraly the right thing to do. Jacking them up is pretty shady in my book mr. business owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:58 am 

jonvespa wrote:
DD, WHAT DID MUNKY DO?

JON

Jon-

Here's the thread...

Short answer. They did nothing wrong at all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:59 am 
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:04 am 

my name implies that i'm wacko, as in nutty-not a store owner. la luz/wacko is in los feliz, but giant robot is in silverlake. anyways, i got my ice pair at the same store where el maz SHOULD HAVE gotten his...i was there an hour earlier than him. he didnt cuz of ebayer wackyfunshop---a well known poster on this very board that got 4 of them! that day was crazy, i live 3 miles from there...you literally had to go get it that minute-it was 1st come 1st served, (at 2pm) or you were out of luck. that is why el maz idnt get his, he was waiting to get off work..by then it was too late .i still have my ice pair. and the regular colorway pair. the art and stuff come from standing in line like many others on this board, and being lucky enough to live in LA where many artists are. just last weekend, you could have gotten stuff signed and drawn on by touma, biskup, jim koch, ledbetter, shag, baseman, mr. g, and makoto. i also live near several galleries and can say that i have met everyone. lucky by being close by. 95% of my stuff is personalised to me or my family. there really are no connections, just a lot of legwork and time to get something cool, oh and luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:30 am 
El Maz says "munky king refused to sell the ice/sno to anyone who lived outside of LA"

Makes sense to me, helping out local customers is what stores should be about imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:34 am 

McDougall wrote:
El Maz says "munky king refused to sell the ice/sno to anyone who lived outside of LA"

Makes sense to me, helping out local customers is what stores should be about imo.

i am over what happened with them about the whole fiasco
the problem that arose was that people outside of LA were on their pre-order list
they actually called these people and said "we have your item"
then when they said "hey i live in new york/san francisco/egypt wherever" some of them were told "sorry, we will only sell to LA people".
other people outside of LA were told "no problem, we will hold it here for you and ship it out to you tomorrow".
if you arent going to sell to people outside of LA, don't take their names down on a pre-order list. and definitely dont tell those people "it's yours" then sell their item.
the whole thing was one gigantic clusterf4ck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:45 am 

The only way a company can grow its business is to find new markets outside of its local or domestic market. A company that shortshrifts non-local customers is short-sighted and foolish. I'm not saying that happened with MK, but with the competiton in the vinyl world, I don't think anyone can afford to shut out people who don't live within 30 minutes of the store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:12 am 
i just think its veeeeeeery lame when store owners who buy jleds stuff go to him and have him sign them all and flip[ them out at a ludacris. he doesnt even own a collection he only goes to these "events" to get the stuff he cant get whosale and turn and flip it like no tommorow.

that grinds my gears

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:20 am 
What happened to me sucks awell.

I bought from Tenacious Toys. I got screwed and I dont care what any one says.

I contacted them early on in the JLED MR. Bunny hunt. They took my info and said no problem we got you.

So I took there word. I turned down a few reasonable offers because I figured I would support the store who was kind enough to hold one for me. Its only right, why would I cancell and go else where when I thought I had an in.

To make a long story short I should have taken the deals elsewhere because when I got the call from them they would only sell it to me know for......150.00 + 10.00 shipping !!!!

I was so pissed off I had to put the guy on hold for like 5 minutes to think about it. Just sat there and stared at the phone.......stunned. I can understand marking it up a few bucks but damn this is a kick in the balls.

I will NEVER buy from them again. And I was planning on buying other things from them that day. But when I got the price I realized on the spot that they arnt cool people. Thay really dont care about the small guy on the other end.

They loose in the long run because 1.) I will never buy from them again & 2.) I'm letting a respected toy community know about there practice and that might turn potential buyers away.

Then on top of it they advertised it on there site but never sold a one there. They sold a few to suckers like me and then the rest all went straight to the bay.

So you have my permission to put me down.

TENACIOUS TOYS = $150.00 + 10 shipping = rip off :(

I love the toy but will never buy from them again. After thinking about it I feel sooooo ripped off.

I paid it off and moved on. But everytime I see that piece I'm remined of how I was ripped off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:13 am 

the one thing no one gets here, is this.

basically joe led has sat back, and never once chimed in on how everyone is getting shafted by his uber limited toys. i MIGHT VERY WELL BE WRONG HERE, but in my opinion, maybe he is sitting back and getting his kicks out of the fact we are all stressing his toys, his name is blowing up, the toys are becoming legendary, infamous, etc.

i tell ya, if these were my toys, and my initial shipment did so well, and people were fighting over them, i would release a purple bunny, or a black firecat, etc, with a run of 1500, so everyone can get the toy.

but it seems, the powers that be, and i am not naming names, but the powers that be, seem to relish in the furor and frenzy created from these toys.

and don't tell me they cannot make more. if that is so, how the heck is kidrobot contemplating making a deph 8 inch figure? that means new TOOLING, for those 8 inch wings, as well as the dunny with 2 holes in the back to stick the wings on. so, kidrobot can roll with the punches, so to speak, AND try and answer fans calls?

the powers that be in charge of the joe ledbetter toys, could care less about the fans, and all they care about, is hyping up the toys. it is working brilliantly! i just wish the toys were not so amazing, that everyone wants them. but, they are incredible, so the frenzy is warrented.

stores flipping them, and breaking deals, like some store did with me as well, is crap business ethics. please go read my link, to find out what store shafted me. they admit their guilt in the other thread.

im amazed a store as old as munky king would screw people over. they had big art shows, that custom show, etc. then they said, unless you are from LA, you are screwed?

i suggest emailing mr. ledbetter himself, and asking him when a bigger colorway and edition is going to be released. it sucks, but the powers that be, could end all the bickering flipping by simply announcing a new print run. the prices would drop on all these colorways, and it would be great for people who really want the toys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:23 am 
I agree with everything you are saying but one.

Even if they released a new fig with a larger run amount these would still not drop to much in value if any at all.

These have became legendary. No matter what comes next these are still limited to only 400 and with the snow varienst to 104.

Now more avaliabel figures will only spark more of the " well now I have this figure what was all the hype about the other ones about"

And WTK theory on KAWS stuff might spill over into JLED as market.

Who knows, he has the hype machine in overdrive so we will just see prices in 6 months to a year from now. Then we will know.

WW knows how to market an item. I doubt a lager colorway will be produced anyway. So I dont even know why I'm saying this.

They have one killer product and if they are smart they will keep doing what there doing.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next