forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:34 am 

It's over and done with, if the rest of the forum wants to keep talking about it go right ahead. I find it funny that the opinion of one person about an establishments processes would warrant such criticism from other forum members. Unless you actually work for Munky King directly, I don't see why it would make you so upset. There were no personal attacks made to anyone on this forum only an opinion stated. And to be honest, I don't care if you have heard and seen this thread a million times. You were all new to the forum once, so I highly doubt you never repeated a thread every now and again!

PS -- I never hated on anybody for being able to get their Pyros. Read the threads carefully before you comment!

PEACE

Death To All Designer Toy Elitists

Last edited by TaintedSpeech on Sat May 10, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:34 am 

I couldn't agree more about the horrible mess of this release, but that is common for pretty much all vinyl stores when they have big releases. I wouldn't say that their website sucks, in general. I don't think there's a toysite (other then a TRU or something similar) that could handle the amount of traffic that a release like this brings. I think all the stores should take a page from Huck and do the big releases on Ebay. At least there will be no problems with crashing servers there.

instagram: @big_c_art

https://www.facebook.com/BigC.artwork

GOOD BST LIST

My KR user name use to be
de Large

Last edited by Big C on Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:37 am 

yeah. The error sucked. Hitting the buy it button then getting errors the entire time kind of sucked cuz then you have to go back and hit it some more XD

Then you finally get it in the cart and have to confirm only to see that when it finally went through your order is messed up and says your total is $0.00

So now I don't know what my order is... lol

My bf uses my account also so PMs are either from me (Jenn aka tehlilone) or him :) If you haven't heard from me in a while just PM again I'm forgetful. Just a heads up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:43 am 

I have had 3 problems, with MK ever and they have ALL been resolved through their excellent customer service, which cannot be said for all vinyl online stores. I think they, as well as all vinyl online stores, should rethink the way they handle major releases.

GOOD BST LIST

de Large

Last edited by Big C on Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:44 am 

TaintedSpeech wrote:
Munky King really needs to plan ahead when they hold events like this online. I had one Smash Pyro in my cart with a total of 140.92 and went to complete the order and an internal error occured and reset my whole order. When I tried to checkout again it promptly replied that I tried to order too many and kicked me out. And you can guess what happened next... it was sold out. I understand the site was getting bombarded and the servers were intermittenly crashing, but they should have planned for this so it would alleviate the problem. Did anybody else have this problem? I might sound like I'm sour, but you can't win them all and I'll get over it. I can't wait to see how much they get flipped for on e-bay. Let me know what you guys think!

You have not been in the game for long have you?

This happens at almost every HUGE release, no matter what Site is selling the item.

I got the 500 error like 6 times, but still had time to log in and put in my cart and order it.

Just stop blaming MUNKY KING!

It happens when there are only 200 of an item and 2000 collectors that want it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:47 am 

If you not getting a toy you want makes a website bad, you should start preparing yourself for a lot of bad websites. This is nothing new or unexpected and is in no way the sign of a poorly run website.

[shadow=yellow]My Jled Collection | Searching for "Albino Bunny" OG | ToyCyte Superfan![/shadow]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:50 am 

If they don't have servers that can handle the traffic and don't seek other means to solve this problem (ie. ebay), then it was ran poorly. Just cuz many of the other leading sites do the same thing, doesn't mean it is acceptable. It just means most of them screw up big releases.

But if you were to say that this is the only reason MK sucks, then essentially if you use logic, all online vinyl stores who host major releases suck. And I am in no way saying that.

GOOD BST LIST

de Large

Last edited by Big C on Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:52 am 

If this happens every time a limited run comes out and the designer toy game has been around for a minute you would think after awhile they would get on their game to make the process cleaner. Evolution is part of the game! Just because you post every 5 minutes since Kidrobot put up these forums, doesn't mean your game is tight! Too many elitists in the designer toy industry -- that needs to change!

[ Added: Fri May 09, 2008 7:56 am ]
I like Munky King's website, I just don't like the lack of preparation when it comes to these type of events. For how much money they make off the product they sell, they can afford to steroid out their servers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:03 am 

i think the main reason that small stores like munky king don't "prepare" for these releases is that it is a money issue. In most cases a majority of the sales comes from in store purchase, and for them it doesnt make sense to pay more money for a server that they will only need for 5 minutes once every 3 months or so.

I think that for some people you should just feel lucky to have a chance to buy one online at retail.

I am no where near LA and the fact that I had a chance to get one is better then no chance at all. They offered the smashes online to give the oppurtunity to those that cant spend 300+ on a plane ticket just to be there in person.

Yeah it sucks not getting one but if they didnt even have a website what would you be saying then?

My things for trade
The things I want
My Collection Intervention

Post subject: Whatever!
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:53 am 

I wouldn't say anything if they didn't offer them online. It would just go down as I couldn't be at the event in person to get one. I wasn't upset about the Baroness 8" that was only available at the New York release party and to certain board members through Kidrobot. I don't understand why I should feel lucky to have the opportunity when I actually went through the process to get the item and did everything the right way and when I got to the last page to confirm the order it screws up. It would be different if I tried and it sold out before I could even get it into my cart.

By the way you can rent servers if they don't have the money to pay for better ones. This doesn't mean I will stop doing business with Munky King, I just think their system is flawed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:54 am 

I think they did prepare, their server never crashed. You will always get internal errors with that much traffic at one time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:11 pm 

honestly, they didn't have to sell it online. they could've kept it in-store only and sold out just fine. i appreciate the opportunity. i hated that "kicked-in-the-gonads" feeling i got when my total turned negative... but what can you do?

thats my only real quarrel (and i'm guessing most feel the same way)... is that you get one in your shopping cart, fill in all your info, and then hit confirm, thinking you have it on lock... <<WHACK!>> only to be denied.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:12 pm 

djfohm wrote:
TaintedSpeech wrote:
Munky King really needs to plan ahead when they hold events like this online. I had one Smash Pyro in my cart with a total of 140.92 and went to complete the order and an internal error occured and reset my whole order. When I tried to checkout again it promptly replied that I tried to order too many and kicked me out. And you can guess what happened next... it was sold out. I understand the site was getting bombarded and the servers were intermittenly crashing, but they should have planned for this so it would alleviate the problem. Did anybody else have this problem? I might sound like I'm sour, but you can't win them all and I'll get over it. I can't wait to see how much they get flipped for on e-bay. Let me know what you guys think!

This happens at almost every HUGE release, no matter what Site is selling the item.

I got the 500 error like 6 times, but still had time to log in and put in my cart and order it.

Just stop blaming MUNKY KING!

It happens when there are only 200 of an item and 2000 collectors that want it!

jeezes THANK YOU...
if you think it sucks why dont you dontate money to them so they can make a better server a bigger one?
KR sale that was bad so why dont you guys blame um?
jeezes my pyro smash i got was pure luck so you snooze you lose

phaughey,smorkin_love,adigitalcure,MrMongoose, Icon84,kidstartexas,The Boy Wunder, Shauni55,nerbous,uhmski, the naked one
Sign Here If you love lucky cats
dream came true

too long
http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=148684

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:24 pm 

Huck never has these problems. Oh right, he uses eBay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:27 pm 

jtukka wrote:
If you not getting a toy you want makes a website bad, you should start preparing yourself for a lot of bad websites. This is nothing new or unexpected and is in no way the sign of a poorly run website.

+1... same thing happened to me and they updated my cart with -2 but that's what happens to every big release.. ^_^

Good Transactions: Feedback Page 16 ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:27 pm 

screw ebay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:28 pm 

^ everyone hates that site.. xsickx xsickx xsickx

phaughey,smorkin_love,adigitalcure,MrMongoose, Icon84,kidstartexas,The Boy Wunder, Shauni55,nerbous,uhmski, the naked one
Sign Here If you love lucky cats
dream came true

too long
http://forums.kidrobot.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=148684

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:32 pm 

I understand you win some or lose some and it will probably happen again in the future, but I had an opinion and wanted to share it with other people and get their reaction. Congratulations on everyone who got their Pyro at the store and online!

Death To All Designer Toy Elitists!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:54 pm 

so sites like munky king should have thousand dollar servers ready for toy releases that they hold every now and then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:59 pm 

responded to PM

don't consider myself an elitist, but have been collecting toys PERIOD for along time!

Yes I post ALOT! but have put alot of time and money into this, and just sucks when this happens EVERYTIME! a release is missed by someone.

And I myself have not had problems with MUNKY KING, but have not bought too much stuff from them. Sounds like others have had problems.

But I was preparing my computer and myslef for this since 3 oclock.

So I have learned from mistakes, and am not pissed off if I lose out on an exclusive.

"specially when it is one of the biggest Vinyl designers, and a limited run of 200, and of which only 100 or less were released online?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:07 pm 

Nate: :-({|= Man this stuff gets old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:07 pm 

responded to PM as well.

You speak your opinion and others do the same. That's how it works.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:11 pm 

djfohm wrote:

+1
Get used to it. Happens everywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:20 pm 

I think Munky King actually did a great job with this release. It wasn't 100% smooth - but there were no major server crashes (like everyone had with the Ringo release) just a few error messages. MORE importantly, anyone who didn't get one was informed at checkout (as far as I've heard, anyway). No one got an order confirmation followed by an email saying "Oops! You didn't get one after all!" which is WAY worse than getting denied at checkout.

The only way to prevent items in the cart from 'disappearing' during the order process is to automatically reserve one each time the 'Buy' button is clicked. That sounds great in theory, but it has its own drawbacks (such items getting put in carts and artificially selling out when the order is never completed, and items selling out faster than the page can refresh). In the end there are only x number of items for sale, and exactly x number of people will get them. Your percentage likelihood is the same regardless of the method of distribution. The only real difference is the psychology of it... it FEELS like the server errors caused your problem. But everyone got the same errors - so if they were fixed, it would just sell out more quickly. Nothing can change the ratio of people who want one vs. people who get one (except higher production numbers, of course!)

On the other hand, I do agree that eBay for huge releases makes things go more smoothly. There is a cost overhead on the eBay charges - but I think most people wouldn't mind paying a little more. Rotofugi did it for the Ringo release and it was the only one that I saw that went smoothly. Huck does it for all of his customs and, even though I've missed the last 4 or 5 ( :killme: ), those never have any problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:25 pm 

qwest1mark wrote:
so sites like munky king should have thousand dollar servers ready for toy releases that they hold every now and then?

this is something people just don't understand. certain artists, you can make an argument (Shepard Fairey for example). but not a retail toy shop. just doesn't make sense.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next