one jled too many

Discuss all the upcoming figures from US artists, as well as companies like Critterbox, Circus Punks, Friends With You, UnklBrand and of course Kidrobot!
User avatar
gtcowgirl
Posts: 1446
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:52 am
Location: Omaha
Contact:

Post by gtcowgirl » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:31 pm

There's not.


I <3 toys more than you.

User avatar
themonsterkrebs
Posts: 425
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:56 pm
Location: ny state

Post by themonsterkrebs » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:35 pm

there is a lot of jled stuff out there, but whatever he does sells, so they'll only be making more.

User avatar
jmonusko
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:13 pm
Location: Chuckanuckaland

Post by jmonusko » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:57 pm

I find it interesting that there were hundreds of posts complaining about there not being enough Ringos, and now there are complaints about too many Smashes. The number of Smashes announced so far is (I think) slightly more than 3x as many as the total number of Ringos.

I'm just giving my opinion that 3x or 6x as many Ringos is not too many, considering how many people are fans and would like to get their hands on a figure or two (or ten). I think the secondary market for these will be very reasonable considering the high number that will ultimately be available.
Successful Transactions: the_sentient, 250C, funnymunny, Mz59Fifty, sgr1000, rco, therealchinaman, nypedestrian, DiZiXtOiD, Kevbayer, Ryn, Shibori, BurymewithmyToys, Roach, Prophecy, genejo, coreyxc4, Nicedream, Mongo Lloyd, Eiji, mooshysushi, lediscode, DManTX, Spooky+, SUSAN2008, originalkaws, killerz4ever, Dieselfeast, mzkayDi

WANTED: Bunnywith a Banana Suit by Alex Pardee
WANTED: Shuttlemax (Classic, red, HK order of colorway preference) by Bill 'Billions McMillions' McMullen

User avatar
JORDAN23
Posts: 3876
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Above the Rim

Post by JORDAN23 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:11 pm

I'm just going to say that there is so much FALSE info here. Some of you guys sound so certain....wonder where you are getting your info from?

User avatar
ThinkBlueCount2
Posts: 1265
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:38 pm

Post by ThinkBlueCount2 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:44 pm

JORDAN23 wrote:I'm just going to say that there is so much FALSE info here. Some of you guys sound so certain....wonder where you are getting your info from?


Jordan let Joe know it would be in my.. I mean his best interest ;) to produce a 3-5 foot limited original or White colored Wheaty Wheat Mr. Bunny for around 2k a pop and/or a kaws collaboration piece as soon as possible. \:D/ I would rather blow my worthless dollars on something really special than every rainbow flavored skittles figure.. preferably before monetary reform and the economy crashing.
Main stream media's covering up the lies of our Government & Homeland stupidity.

Corporate controlled puppets dancing in tune to the elitists master agenda.. The New World Order.

Whisper the magic word, "terrorist", and the American public is yours for the taking.

It's a magical and convenient key that unlocks all doors in society to control Americans through fear of the unknown.

To continue making the argument that 9-11 terrorist attacked us because they "hate freedom" is to underestimate the resolve of Americans to discover the lies and deceptions of a failed middle east policy. Trading freedom for faith is what has brought us this terror.

George Orwell's 1984 coming soon to a city near you..

Ron Paul 2008

User avatar
tq
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:25 pm

Post by tq » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:04 pm

#-o I beleive 3/4 of postings in the whole FORUM are #-o speculations and :-s non sense.

User avatar
dkittl20
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:24 am
Location: Chicago

Post by dkittl20 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:40 pm

Its all about supply and demand my friends. Dont forget that the ultimate goal of any business is to make money, and dont tell me you wouldnt do it if you could. Money talks. plain and simple. Do I like it or do I think its eithical? Yes and No, thats open for debate.

User avatar
cbankla
Posts: 1772
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:25 am
Location: Los Angeles Cali4EVA

Post by cbankla » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:23 pm

boo hoo....


anyways

art beats toys anyday
soooo yeah

User avatar
jmonusko
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:13 pm
Location: Chuckanuckaland

Post by jmonusko » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:31 am

dkittl20 wrote:Its all about supply and demand my friends. Dont forget that the ultimate goal of any business is to make money, and dont tell me you wouldnt do it if you could. Money talks. plain and simple. Do I like it or do I think its eithical? Yes and No, thats open for debate.


I'm very curious...what may (or may not) be ethical about multiple colorways of a toy? :-k
Successful Transactions: the_sentient, 250C, funnymunny, Mz59Fifty, sgr1000, rco, therealchinaman, nypedestrian, DiZiXtOiD, Kevbayer, Ryn, Shibori, BurymewithmyToys, Roach, Prophecy, genejo, coreyxc4, Nicedream, Mongo Lloyd, Eiji, mooshysushi, lediscode, DManTX, Spooky+, SUSAN2008, originalkaws, killerz4ever, Dieselfeast, mzkayDi

WANTED: Bunnywith a Banana Suit by Alex Pardee
WANTED: Shuttlemax (Classic, red, HK order of colorway preference) by Bill 'Billions McMillions' McMullen

User avatar
wamboozi
Posts: 1611
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:12 pm
Location: your mother

Post by wamboozi » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:06 am

ThinkBlueCount2 wrote:I must agree. I am getting rather tired of seeing a new product every month.. it use to be all about spending the time to make one exceptional quality figure.. even if it took YEARS! but now forget it.. it's all about over saturating the market because the artist is popular and KR or Toy2R sales knows it will sell out of an edition of 3500 instantly because it's a Jled. Not a good trend in my opinion, it really devalues the artist and turns the whole concept of art toys into ToysRus when it's flooded to this extent.

I pick and choose very carefully now.

I would honestly much rather look forward to one very special release a year, but that doesn't put our soon to be worthless dollars in the bank ;) like mass producing 30 colorways a year. So I cant really blame him. I'll stick with my Wheaty Wheats until a kaws/Jled collaboration. Still love ya Joe.. but slow it down.


+1

but a kaws/jled collabo...... never.... i wish.... but even more for that reason..never
"My friend doesn't like you."



good trades with SMPT, symbebekos, qwest1mark, brothermantis, spyderworks7023, Dunny27, whthalo, kp, catana68, bigmac, bubblegumking, catana68, Nadir, tofu, decep0ner, flabby, mattp, nimsu, johnnymu, lucky13, heebysdaman, Miznotic_Garden, mrburgess

User avatar
qwest1mark
Posts: 1467
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 3:33 pm

Post by qwest1mark » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:32 am

8 colorways for smash :shock:

User avatar
fuctdupp
Posts: 644
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:25 pm
Location: North Hollywood, CA

Post by fuctdupp » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:48 am

It's funny really. I used to like JLED toys but it became a little too competitive (i.e. Kaws.............pro sports competitve) and I fell off. My favorite artist who is also way more flagrant about putting out too many variations of the same design is Kozik. I don't think it's flooding the market but it's getting out of hand. Its maybe a mixture of demand of manufacturers wanting a piece of the artist's popularity versus that artist capitalizing on releasing variations due to the insane demand in the after market. There was a time recently where lava versions of JLED's toys were going for more than his original good sized canvas pieces, that nuts. For me Kozik stays busy putting out a ton of new stuff but still releases alot of variations of the same design................truth be told...........can't do nothing about it. Until people stop buying the variations they'll keep on coming. It took me collecting for 4 years before I finally got tired and sold all the "hot market" stuff and anything else I didn't like and now I am collecting just the things that peak my interest. It can be annoying when you see 16 different variations of the same design that really interest you, but for me its more just my need for immediate gratification for something new and cool the following week...............never works.

Beats the alternative...................being a fan of an artist that releases new things every other decade...............love you Coop..............sick of seeing new coffee mugs instead of new creative prints, toys, or whatever in the last 2 years.

And Muttpop Bob I LOVE YOUR TOYS...........but you are killing me with showing fully painted designs and then releasing them 18 months later............its almost no fun....................but your stuff is so stellar.

Sometimes feel like that rabid GNR fan waiting on Chinese Democracy.
Good trades with: thedarkhippie, coasterbear, eckotyper, drevanfuzen, M500, sgnstrne, MrMurk, and vnljunkie.

User avatar
dkittl20
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:24 am
Location: Chicago

Post by dkittl20 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:45 am

jmonusko wrote:
dkittl20 wrote:Its all about supply and demand my friends. Dont forget that the ultimate goal of any business is to make money, and dont tell me you wouldnt do it if you could. Money talks. plain and simple. Do I like it or do I think its eithical? Yes and No, thats open for debate.


I'm very curious...what may (or may not) be ethical about multiple colorways of a toy? :-k


Personaly I see nothing wrong with this situation, more power to the people, but I could see how people could feel taken advantage of. If I was a collector of jled and had everyone or most of his toys and colorways, I would feel taken advantag of. they know all the color ways will sell out and now I would have to buy them all to keep my collection up to date. now that would feel un eithical to me if I was in that situation.

User avatar
Rejectx
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:42 pm
Location: Here we go again !!!

Post by Rejectx » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:49 pm

Best thing is we all have a good chance of getting this item. UNlike other Artist releases you can just see them on photographs.

WE should be happy with this.

Is not easy to produce this toys.
YOu can't just make 12 or 40 pcs. MAnufacturers produce a certain amount to cover expenses in producing this. YOu can't just dictate to them I want just few.....there is a quota for the factory to make profit and cover cost . DO you guys even know how much a mold cost in reality ? THat need to be paid from somewhere...selling 100 pcs in one color aint going to cover it .

NOw as an Artist you want to make sure you sell this or get stuck with it. SO you need to make sure you have a demand for your designs. That goes to all artist.

User avatar
jmonusko
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:13 pm
Location: Chuckanuckaland

Post by jmonusko » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:29 pm

dkittl20 wrote:
jmonusko wrote:
dkittl20 wrote:Its all about supply and demand my friends. Dont forget that the ultimate goal of any business is to make money, and dont tell me you wouldnt do it if you could. Money talks. plain and simple. Do I like it or do I think its eithical? Yes and No, thats open for debate.


I'm very curious...what may (or may not) be ethical about multiple colorways of a toy? :-k


Personaly I see nothing wrong with this situation, more power to the people, but I could see how people could feel taken advantage of. If I was a collector of jled and had everyone or most of his toys and colorways, I would feel taken advantag of. they know all the color ways will sell out and now I would have to buy them all to keep my collection up to date. now that would feel un eithical to me if I was in that situation.


I don't see any ethical dilema here - some small number of fans will want to try and get all colorways. Because of this small number of people, the artist is supposed to limit the number of colorways produced, because it's "not fair" that some fans want everything he makes?

I understand how hard it is to shell out $$$$$ for so many toys - I do it myself. But each person makes the decision to spend their money or not, and I don't understand how or why an artist is supposed to protect his fans from themselves!? No one "has to buy" any colorway, no matter what their current or future collection looks like. This complaint sounds like modern society's "blame everyone else for my problems" perspective on things.

I hope there are 20 versions of Smash. I'll get everyone that I can afford and really like. I really like my Brown one that just came the other day. I really like the Yellow one, which is surprising to me since I don't usually like Yellow. I don't like the pics of the Polar one, but I love my Polar Ringo and have seen some Polar pics that make that one look very appealing. I'm not a completist, but if it's a great figure (I'm a fan of Simians and Simian toys, and I like JLED's style), I'm happy to have lots of chances to get one.

I want to hear some opinions from all the people that missed out on every colorway of Ringo - is it somehow "unfair" to JLED fans that there are going to be so many Smashes available?

Rejectx, as I think you can see, I agree with you completely.
Successful Transactions: the_sentient, 250C, funnymunny, Mz59Fifty, sgr1000, rco, therealchinaman, nypedestrian, DiZiXtOiD, Kevbayer, Ryn, Shibori, BurymewithmyToys, Roach, Prophecy, genejo, coreyxc4, Nicedream, Mongo Lloyd, Eiji, mooshysushi, lediscode, DManTX, Spooky+, SUSAN2008, originalkaws, killerz4ever, Dieselfeast, mzkayDi

WANTED: Bunnywith a Banana Suit by Alex Pardee
WANTED: Shuttlemax (Classic, red, HK order of colorway preference) by Bill 'Billions McMillions' McMullen

User avatar
bigmac
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:54 pm
Location: Vinyl Wasteland

Post by bigmac » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:23 pm

jmonusko wrote:
dkittl20 wrote:
jmonusko wrote:
dkittl20 wrote:Its all about supply and demand my friends. Dont forget that the ultimate goal of any business is to make money, and dont tell me you wouldnt do it if you could. Money talks. plain and simple. Do I like it or do I think its eithical? Yes and No, thats open for debate.


I'm very curious...what may (or may not) be ethical about multiple colorways of a toy? :-k


Personaly I see nothing wrong with this situation, more power to the people, but I could see how people could feel taken advantage of. If I was a collector of jled and had everyone or most of his toys and colorways, I would feel taken advantag of. they know all the color ways will sell out and now I would have to buy them all to keep my collection up to date. now that would feel un eithical to me if I was in that situation.


I don't see any ethical dilema here - some small number of fans will want to try and get all colorways. Because of this small number of people, the artist is supposed to limit the number of colorways produced, because it's "not fair" that some fans want everything he makes?

I understand how hard it is to shell out $$$$$ for so many toys - I do it myself. But each person makes the decision to spend their money or not, and I don't understand how or why an artist is supposed to protect his fans from themselves!? No one "has to buy" any colorway, no matter what their current or future collection looks like. This complaint sounds like modern society's "blame everyone else for my problems" perspective on things.

I hope there are 20 versions of Smash. I'll get everyone that I can afford and really like. I really like my Brown one that just came the other day. I really like the Yellow one, which is surprising to me since I don't usually like Yellow. I don't like the pics of the Polar one, but I love my Polar Ringo and have seen some Polar pics that make that one look very appealing. I'm not a completist, but if it's a great figure (I'm a fan of Simians and Simian toys, and I like JLED's style), I'm happy to have lots of chances to get one.

I want to hear some opinions from all the people that missed out on every colorway of Ringo - is it somehow "unfair" to JLED fans that there are going to be so many Smashes available?

Rejectx, as I think you can see, I agree with you completely.


=D>
May every blind box bring a new adventure, and may the smell of fresh vinyl forever waft from your detolf.

User avatar
LUCKY13
Posts: 2246
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:54 pm
Location: California

Post by LUCKY13 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:01 pm

eckotyper wrote:he puts out just as many items as kozik... and a good way to nto get caught up in all of that is to just collect what you like, and not everything an artist does. I like jled's stuff... but i pick and choose what to buy


+1

I will always have at least one Mr Bunny!! Working on an army as we speak..
:partyman:
Looking for D*face items and
Henry Brazil paintings!

User avatar
vinyltag
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:19 pm

Post by vinyltag » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:09 am

I want to hear some opinions from all the people that missed out on every colorway of Ringo - is it somehow "unfair" to JLED fans that there are going to be so many Smashes available?

That would be me. I took a rain check on Ringo when they first came out.

Almost have the Teeters collected.
The Finders Keepers was probably the best min-figure set I have ever bought waaaay too many of.


After the whole Flying Pig Trexi bad paint fiasco and finding the soft rounded Kaju stuff just does not speak to his style anymore than the dunnies did IMHO and watching the vinyl shops actually try and make the next color of Toxic Qee whatever seem new and exciting...blaaaah!

I just keep looking at those limited number, three variations of Mr. Bunny and the Fire/Ice Cats... that was slick, that was THE set of vinyl to have.

Would Mr Bunny be such a touch stone if he had been blasted out in 8 variations numbering in, what, the 1000s?

What I purchase, I do so because I like it. Not out of some misguided fanboy loyalty.

I don't discount what many people here are saying. They are making some very good points.

I am buying the smashes because I actually find them interesting but I will also readily admit the real thrill of following and owning what used to be considered a quality artist like Joe Ledbetter is sorta dying.

User avatar
Gizzy
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:14 pm
Location: NY

Post by Gizzy » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:55 am

In a general sense...I think all the completionist collectors are gonna have to get over the fact that there is going to be more and more...

Someone said 2500 is saturating the market? Yeah if there were only 2500 people looking for em...I would imagine there are a lot lot more.
Not to mention that only applies if the fan base # stays the same...most likely its going up.
Whoever said collect only what you like is right

User avatar
idiumbo
Posts: 816
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:26 pm
Location: Location, Location!

Post by idiumbo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:02 pm

He's my favorite artist, but now it's too hard to keep up with buying all his toys, Now I split what I buy; between my favorite artists, and my favorite blind box series. Hard to keep up... thats a lot of pretty pennies!
RIDE THE FLARE! -RJ

Locked