forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: KAIJU BABO
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:57 pm 

What dat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:20 pm 

its sooo cute!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:04 pm 

Cutest one yet! My baby brother fell in love with it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:07 pm 

no pic..

Never mind just check David's blog...

smpt wrote:
Anyone got a pic of the El Maz and Jeffrey Starr collab for dunny 2012?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:24 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:03 am 

Awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:52 am 

OMG I NEEDS IT!!! Vinyl is taking over my life!!!!

My Collection: viewtopic.php?p=1357511&sid=023f238424909fe8104a298e0f14e2e8#1357511

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:02 am 

I have these up for pre-order. Limited to 150. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:56 am 

Any word on a definate date yet?? Will you have them at Comic Con??

My Collection: viewtopic.php?p=1357511&sid=023f238424909fe8104a298e0f14e2e8#1357511

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:26 am 

am I the only one who is not really feeling any of these kaiju uglydolls? it might just be that there are TOO MANY TYPES AND COLORWAYS out right away and they COST WAY TOO MUCH, i know that the runs are small, and thats awesome but this is getting way too uncollectable, which is just what david said he would stay away from, but he is not....

=( these turned me away from uglydolls, atleast for now and onto other vinyl, this is just crazy......

o well, now im not going to go out of my way to try and get all the uglies/other david horvath products. now im more focusing on frank kozik, and some gary baseman, and tim biskup.

The same thing happened with the UMAs, i got my 2nd set (#5) as graduation present from my grandparents, but at about $100 per set this is getting way over the top
I now have set 2 and 5, so if anybody wants to make a good offer with me, i would love it i dont care if its in the bag or not.

anyways, i just wanted to see if anybody is feeling this way all of a sudden?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:32 am 

Well if you try and collect every single character then yeah it can get pricey but then again it seems every vinyl figure comes out in a few different colors (list any kaiju figure here) or there are a ton of different ones ie. dunnies. For me I love icebat and since I was not collecting when the first vinyl icebats came out this is my chance to get some great pieces of my favorite character. I have the clear blue, pink, and GID is on the way. I plan on ordering the red and solid blue at the end of the week leaving the menta colorway the last one I need.

For me you should just collect what you want and like. If these don't do it for you then by all means there is millions of different figures out there. Vinyl is about your style your tastes and there is something out there to satisfy every and any taste possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:54 am 

Autodactyl wrote:

Excellent, my pre-order is in. Any idea on a ship date?

Noella77, mrfang, Axine, Fiashly, mfmunny, xblMANIMAL (x2), eckotyper, MrMurk, BONER, Dsalad436, agg, Slack, kom22, Serial Nerd, Parotkilah, dr.thug, wacko, Kevbayer, rice0roni, bk_bk, 666doll, geniusgza (x2), SmorkinDoobers, unkle77, Metatron1050, jmo1200, ilostmybeer, rustedhalo, oggyboy, streetflyz, Maki Maki, Chu, NSTNATE, beaureve, Robert DeCastro, gbrock35, nguyenma, Marissaurus, lilo69, YnoD, JoeDunny, pomasta, SmileyFace, zonrboy, Diakka00, igbid, HeyJB, l0xns0cks, wjlaak01, Vinylassasin, todd2814, blackicex, Taos, wendyllc, cer0z and many many more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:13 pm 

aquaphase wrote:
Autodactyl wrote:

Excellent, my pre-order is in. Any idea on a ship date?

the estimate is early July. just hit me up if you ever have a question. thanks! :]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:32 pm 

I'm Not The One To Judge The Cuteness, But I'm Picking This Up

My Collection
Needed:
ilovedust 3 Bears 8 Inch Dunny
SUG (Any Colorway)
Hazmapo Fall(en) Series
French Dunny Golden Ticket
Easy Hey French Dunny
Tizieu French Dunny
Ajee/Naked Chase French Dunny
Kaws 5yr Later Companion (Regular/Monotone Colorway)
3 Inch Dunny Rib-Eye
Any Doma Acid Sweeties
Any Scarygirl City Folk
Any Sours
MC Supersized
Zombie Pet 8 Inch Dunny
sumatra71 wrote:
Dang RJ you got hooked up for real...!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:46 pm 

yeah, good point, and I do realize that, but still, I was goinh to just get the icebat types, but there are already 8? types,.. and I am a completionist, ulike some of you so that is a difference too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:47 pm 

But no one forces you to buy them all, they're no massively different bar a GID version of Icebat so it seems little churlish to moan about cost. Just buy the one you like the most.

If you don't like colourways and cost, collecting Kozik may not by the best way to go.

For any UK forum members Tokyocube now has Babo up for sale, set to ship mid-June.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:42 pm 

They are set to ship mid to end of July from intheyellow. They are up for preorder on their website as well.

I'm a bit of a completionist as well but...honestly...just like David says, these aren't made for completionists but more like different colors so you can get one in a color you like.

Just grab 2 or 3 that you REALLY like/love. 1 is definitely not enough, but these guys aren't that small, 8 bats plus all others etc would take up a LOT of space.

Yeah, the price is a bit high...but honestly...Jpnese vinyl is of the highest quality.
Other countries vinyl, while not bad, still has a few years in terms of catching up to the skill of the small factories in Jpn. And the fact that they are relatively small factories, is why the price is somewhat higher.

Last edited by bluerib on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:54 pm 

Yep....Tokyocube is linked to Intheyellow as all their stuff comes direct from JP rather than via the UK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:11 pm 

It may seem that there are 50 colors of each
but as of today Ice-Bat has 4 and Wage has 2. Babo has 1.
The first Wage was supposed to hit now but showed up super early.
To us, Menta was not supposed to be a real colorway, as we made
those just for Dehara to hand paint and had no idea what he was going to do.
But I hear your thoughts for sure.

To balance these very expensive Ugly Kaiju out, we did the open edition $10 no colorway Mothman VS Flatwoods set, and a Bossy Bear vinyl as a $10 open edition.
We made an early demand to Random House that our first two 64 page Ugly Guide books come in at $5.00 each and we're revealing an "under $10.00" toy line this SDCC.

We've been wanting to do these Ugly Kaiju guys for ages. Sun-Min and I both grew up on Tokusatsu and have been dying to create toys made in these fantastic Japanese factories since the day we first met. So when the opportunity for us to blend our otaku nerd passion with Ugly came up, we went for it.

These were always meant to be a "get the one that's right for you, which may mean one, some or none of them" line, much like how many Ugly plush enthusiasts each have a very different collection. Nobody's collection photos look the same.
Still, I hear you loud and clear, from both sides.
The color vs edition size thing is a tricky but important issue.
Everything you write here, good or bad, means a lot to us and we consider every comment.

[ Added: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:34 am ]
Oops no there's 5 Ice-Bats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:46 pm 

The Mothman vs Flatwoods set is Awesome btw! Everyone should have a set of those hehe

Oh and cubly this is what you'd be missing out on if you don't grab yourself a bat and a few others :heart:
I love my bats! The pink one is for the wife.

and of course, can't forget to show the love for the mothmen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:25 pm 

DAVIDUGLY wrote:

So when the opportunity for us to blend our otaku nerd passion with Ugly came up, we went for it.

And we're grateful for you indulging us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:50 pm 

My wife and I are obsessive Ice Bat and Babo fans, so of course we do all we can to get all of these (we're skipping Wage). However, here's my perspective on the "get the one that's right for you" approach when applied to a line like the Ice Bat Kaiju. Once you get past the nuts like us, you've got Bobby the Ice Bat fan who sees a clear blue Ice Bat Kaiju and just loves it. It's a little pricey, but he goes for it anyway because he loves the character and the toy looks great. All is well.

A few weeks later, he sees a RED Ice Bat appearing on blogs and message boards and thinks "Oh man! I really prefer the RED Bat, but I already have this BLUE Bat." Now sure, maybe Bobby could try to resell the Blue bat or trade the Blue bat, but in reality he isn't likely to make enough to cover the Red Bat (and he JUST bought the Blue one, so why risk taking a loss already), nor is he likely to find someone with a Red Bat to trade who doesn't already have the Blue. Plus, he's already got the Blue one and likes it anyway. So Bobby sucks it up and buys the Red one too. All is well.

Now, let's just say that a few weeks later, GLOW IN THE DARK Bat comes out. Bobby nearly loses his mind because GID Bat is so awesome. But Bobby's hip to these releases now, has already spent $150+ on Bats, and decides to wait it out. He knows that another Bat could be in the pipeline and he might prefer that one. What if it's TIE-DYE Bat?!

So a few weeks go by and there's a new Bat on the scene: Pink Ice Bat. Bobby's girlfriend likes it, and Bobby agrees that it's pretty neat too, but he really prefers that GLOW Bat. Even though Bobby already bought Blue and Red, he's going to go for that Glow Bat! But wait. Only 10 Glow Bats were made and they're long sold out! Now Bobby has to go on eBay and spend $700 if he wants a Glow Bat, and that's only if someone is willing to sell one. Bobby waited, tried to pace himself, and now he's missed out. All is less than well.

The point of the story is that "get the one that's right for you" isn't a realistic strategy with a line that has spread out and relatively limited releases. In my mind, this only works if all the colors come out at once and have fairly similar production runs. Now again, this comes from someone with five Ice Bat Kaiju figures on the shelf (darn that Menta Bat!) and Babo Kaiju already pre-ordered. And I'll be thrilled when I see the next eventual Babo colorway. If I were Bobby, my choice would be the GLOW Bat (so far, at least). That means I would've had to patiently wait out four other Bats first, just hoping that a better color was coming even if I totally dug the previous four. Then, I would've had to decide that THIS was the color I would go for and act super fast to grab one before they sold out. I just can't buy the "only get your favorite" concept applied to a line like this, no matter how much I personally like the line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:29 am 

Great input everyone, and I now see both sides of the arguement, and like inneranomally said it would be easier to got "the one you want" if one could see all of them before they were released, and know the cost and run size.

I think what I will do is skip all of these, maybe pick up a few icebats, but wait until ox and wedgehead come out - if they do- I would defenatly like t see ox and wedgehead in this uglydoll kaiju style

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:02 am 

cublydolls wrote:
am I the only one who is not really feeling any of these kaiju uglydolls? it might just be that there are TOO MANY TYPES AND COLORWAYS out right away and they COST WAY TOO MUCH, i know that the runs are small, and thats awesome but this is getting way too uncollectable, which is just what david said he would stay away from, but he is not....

=( these turned me away from uglydolls, atleast for now and onto other vinyl, this is just crazy......

o well, now im not going to go out of my way to try and get all the uglies/other david horvath products. now im more focusing on frank kozik, and some gary baseman, and tim biskup.

The same thing happened with the UMAs, i got my 2nd set (#5) as graduation present from my grandparents, but at about $100 per set this is getting way over the top
I now have set 2 and 5, so if anybody wants to make a good offer with me, i would love it i dont care if its in the bag or not.

anyways, i just wanted to see if anybody is feeling this way all of a sudden?

I feel the same way. They are still cool..... Babo is super fat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:10 am 

These give me the KFGU vibe... in other words, if you really love them and must have them all, wait a year and pick them up at half price from the people who got burnt out on all the colorways and just want out.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next