Page 1 of 1

Hairdryer method

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:58 am
by Winu
i'm trying to get the arms back on a 3" dunny, so I used the hairdryer method and so far it hasn't worked. Is there certain instructions I need to follow for this method?

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:10 pm
by LIV3R
Yes, warm both body and arms!!! And not a couple of secs but a couple of minutes!

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:51 pm
by D-LuX
a lil dab of water also can help it slip into the joint easier...

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:05 pm
by Winu
ok, can someone give me a time on how long I should heat it? I'm worried I might deform the vinyl.

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:25 pm
by ManilaClouds
bump, i think someone on here said something about cutting x-shaped slits to fit the arms back in....

Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:23 pm
by PainterBob
For 3" Dunnys I have good luck just heating the body, not the arm. I heat the body like 30 seconds but my hairdryer is really hot. Then squeeze his belly so the side with the arm hole bulges out. This opens the hole a bit more. Kind of like popping a pimple. Then stick the arm in and twist it in while you push it in.

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:46 am
by pigboi
i have always just used a lighter to heat up pieces

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:51 am
by Amentia
PainterBob wrote:For 3" Dunnys I have good luck just heating the body, not the arm. I heat the body like 30 seconds but my hairdryer is really hot. Then squeeze his belly so the side with the arm hole bulges out. This opens the hole a bit more. Kind of like popping a pimple. Then stick the arm in and twist it in while you push it in.


This is how I've done it. I find if you heat both, the arm dosn't give much support while pushing it back into the body.

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:03 am
by Skittle
I've invested in a heat gun after my fiance made multiple threats on my life for leaving her hair dryer in my shop:) It has worked much better for heating up pieces just be a lil careful while getting used to it. Also it does wonders for baking clays. They start at $19.
Just my two cents... good luck

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:07 am
by D-LuX
pigboi wrote:i have always just used a lighter to heat up pieces


Thats a shock...

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:13 pm
by Shaunmadeus
D-LuX wrote:
pigboi wrote:i have always just used a lighter to heat up pieces


Thats a shock...


LOL... lighter is a BAD idea...

Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:22 pm
by twig155
so when I put the flower in elmuerto's hand it came off. I then took toe nail clippers and cut the end off the piece that goes into the hole. then I stuck it back in and it stays in.

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:39 pm
by Winu
Yay, thanks for the tips everyone. I finally got it in!

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:06 pm
by snoe robot
Skittle wrote:I've invested in a heat gun after my fiance made multiple threats on my life for leaving her hair dryer in my shop:) It has worked much better for heating up pieces just be a lil careful while getting used to it. Also it does wonders for baking clays. They start at $19.
Just my two cents... good luck


lmao @ threats on my life...didnt your mother tell you never screw with wifeys hair products?

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:37 pm
by Madscientwist
I love heat guns. I usually use mine to make jewelry, but I actually plan to use it in making my first Munny. But not in the same way, I plan to use it to melt this embossing powder stuff to it...I haven't tried it yet, but theoretically it should work and make some awesome designs. I'll post what I come up with

Posted: Sat May 19, 2007 12:40 pm
by jenifrcenifr
what i did with my 3" is i ran the body only under hot water for a minitue or 2 and then i put the arm in and twisted and it worked ok after a few trys....i may just be a little weak :blush:

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:04 am
by bubblepop86
Taking the arms off was THE STUPIDEST THING ever. I read on here that you can just pop off the arms to better paint around them and so I did it. Then when I went to put the little bastards back in, the would not budge! I tried heating them and pushing as hard as I could which just ended up scratching all the paint off!!! Takin the arms off was the worst choice I could have made. My advice is to never take those damn things off! I still only have one arm on because I practically had a mental break down in the middle of putting them on. So to anyone thinking of taking the arms off to paint them... DON'T DO IT!!!

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:37 pm
by ratmloud
bubblepop86 wrote:Taking the arms off was THE STUPIDEST THING ever. I read on here that you can just pop off the arms to better paint around them and so I did it. Then when I went to put the little bastards back in, the would not budge! I tried heating them and pushing as hard as I could which just ended up scratching all the paint off!!! Takin the arms off was the worst choice I could have made. My advice is to never take those damn things off! I still only have one arm on because I practically had a mental break down in the middle of putting them on. So to anyone thinking of taking the arms off to paint them... DON'T DO IT!!!


+1

Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:49 pm
by Lysol
I use a heat gun also. It works great for me. But I also shave down the nub on the end of the arm so I don't destroy the paint job trying to get it back in. It makes it a little easier.

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:16 am
by ism
Lysol wrote:I use a heat gun also. It works great for me. But I also shave down the nub on the end of the arm so I don't destroy the paint job trying to get it back in. It makes it a little easier.


Shaving the ring off of the arm post is the best way. No excessive pressure is necessary while pushing it back into the socket, thus leaving your paint job intact. In fact, I usually shave the sides of the arm post from a cylinder to a cube shape- it still fits tight, but allows for easy reattachment and positioning.

The argument that you should NEVER take the arms out is not going to work for everyone, as a lot of artists like to ensure that ALL parts of the dunny are painted evenly.

IMO, If I ever got a custom that had spots of the original color in the "arm pit area" or elsewhere, I would think that to be sloppy and unprofessional work.

Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:09 am
by NixonAgnew
honestly, the only thing that has ever worked for me, once the parts stop fitting into their respective sockets, is to take an exacto knife and carefully shave away the inside of the socket... a little at a time until the arm fits. it's actually fairly easy as well, so i really recommend doing that.