Hairdryer method

A forum to talk about toy customization, ask for tips, and learn about techniques.
Winu

Hairdryer method

Post by Winu » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:58 am

i'm trying to get the arms back on a 3" dunny, so I used the hairdryer method and so far it hasn't worked. Is there certain instructions I need to follow for this method?

M500 wrote:
Winu wrote:
agitprop wrote:Chicks dig toy collectors.
Thats not what I was told. :(

sorry, somebody lied to you...

LIV3R

Post by LIV3R » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:10 pm

Yes, warm both body and arms!!! And not a couple of secs but a couple of minutes!

D-LuX

Post by D-LuX » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:51 pm

a lil dab of water also can help it slip into the joint easier...

Winu

Post by Winu » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:05 pm

ok, can someone give me a time on how long I should heat it? I'm worried I might deform the vinyl.
M500 wrote:
Winu wrote:

ManilaClouds

Post by ManilaClouds » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:25 pm

bump, i think someone on here said something about cutting x-shaped slits to fit the arms back in....

PainterBob

Post by PainterBob » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:23 pm

For 3" Dunnys I have good luck just heating the body, not the arm. I heat the body like 30 seconds but my hairdryer is really hot. Then squeeze his belly so the side with the arm hole bulges out. This opens the hole a bit more. Kind of like popping a pimple. Then stick the arm in and twist it in while you push it in.
-Bob

My Etsy Art Store:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5350925

My Painting Blog:
http://bobhornerart.blogspot.com

MySpace page:
http://myspace.com/bobhornerart

I've made customs for:
plandesign39, neeto, toyologist, Jalucine,
curealeanorchid, siburjunkee

pigboi

Post by pigboi » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:46 am

i have always just used a lighter to heat up pieces

Amentia

Post by Amentia » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:51 am

PainterBob wrote:For 3" Dunnys I have good luck just heating the body, not the arm. I heat the body like 30 seconds but my hairdryer is really hot. Then squeeze his belly so the side with the arm hole bulges out. This opens the hole a bit more. Kind of like popping a pimple. Then stick the arm in and twist it in while you push it in.

This is how I've done it. I find if you heat both, the arm dosn't give much support while pushing it back into the body.

Skittle

Post by Skittle » Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:03 am

I've invested in a heat gun after my fiance made multiple threats on my life for leaving her hair dryer in my shop:) It has worked much better for heating up pieces just be a lil careful while getting used to it. Also it does wonders for baking clays. They start at $19.
Just my two cents... good luck

D-LuX

Post by D-LuX » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:07 am

pigboi wrote:i have always just used a lighter to heat up pieces

Thats a shock...

Shaunmadeus

Post by Shaunmadeus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:13 pm

D-LuX wrote:
pigboi wrote:i have always just used a lighter to heat up pieces

Thats a shock...

LOL... lighter is a BAD idea...
-= A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer. =-
Shaunart.com
Twitter

twig155

Post by twig155 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:22 pm

so when I put the flower in elmuerto's hand it came off. I then took toe nail clippers and cut the end off the piece that goes into the hole. then I stuck it back in and it stays in.

Winu

Post by Winu » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:39 pm

Yay, thanks for the tips everyone. I finally got it in!
M500 wrote:
Winu wrote:

snoe robot

Post by snoe robot » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:06 pm

Skittle wrote:I've invested in a heat gun after my fiance made multiple threats on my life for leaving her hair dryer in my shop:) It has worked much better for heating up pieces just be a lil careful while getting used to it. Also it does wonders for baking clays. They start at $19.
Just my two cents... good luck

lmao @ threats on my life...didnt your mother tell you never screw with wifeys hair products?
[iTs] . [2o1] .rackin.crayons.

Madscientwist

Post by Madscientwist » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:37 pm

I love heat guns. I usually use mine to make jewelry, but I actually plan to use it in making my first Munny. But not in the same way, I plan to use it to melt this embossing powder stuff to it...I haven't tried it yet, but theoretically it should work and make some awesome designs. I'll post what I come up with
Popsicle Love <3

jenifrcenifr

Post by jenifrcenifr » Sat May 19, 2007 12:40 pm

what i did with my 3" is i ran the body only under hot water for a minitue or 2 and then i put the arm in and twisted and it worked ok after a few trys....i may just be a little weak :blush:

bubblepop86

Post by bubblepop86 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:04 am

Taking the arms off was THE STUPIDEST THING ever. I read on here that you can just pop off the arms to better paint around them and so I did it. Then when I went to put the little bastards back in, the would not budge! I tried heating them and pushing as hard as I could which just ended up scratching all the paint off!!! Takin the arms off was the worst choice I could have made. My advice is to never take those damn things off! I still only have one arm on because I practically had a mental break down in the middle of putting them on. So to anyone thinking of taking the arms off to paint them... DON'T DO IT!!!

ratmloud

Post by ratmloud » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:37 pm

bubblepop86 wrote:Taking the arms off was THE STUPIDEST THING ever. I read on here that you can just pop off the arms to better paint around them and so I did it. Then when I went to put the little bastards back in, the would not budge! I tried heating them and pushing as hard as I could which just ended up scratching all the paint off!!! Takin the arms off was the worst choice I could have made. My advice is to never take those damn things off! I still only have one arm on because I practically had a mental break down in the middle of putting them on. So to anyone thinking of taking the arms off to paint them... DON'T DO IT!!!

+1

Lysol

Post by Lysol » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:49 pm

I use a heat gun also. It works great for me. But I also shave down the nub on the end of the arm so I don't destroy the paint job trying to get it back in. It makes it a little easier.
Dead Hand Toys -- My Flickr

Great deals with: Omgitsacow, nocash138 (2), spunla, joker, cherieshipwreck, iggy4mayor, rizadette, djfohm, geniusgza, Tizight, DoctorDoyle, tyleR, reganomics813, CurseTheSeen, Mendez, BMXBENF, sillynickers, DMS, dxjock, Bo0oYaH, D-LuX, loomisid.

ism

Post by ism » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:16 am

Lysol wrote:I use a heat gun also. It works great for me. But I also shave down the nub on the end of the arm so I don't destroy the paint job trying to get it back in. It makes it a little easier.

Shaving the ring off of the arm post is the best way. No excessive pressure is necessary while pushing it back into the socket, thus leaving your paint job intact. In fact, I usually shave the sides of the arm post from a cylinder to a cube shape- it still fits tight, but allows for easy reattachment and positioning.

The argument that you should NEVER take the arms out is not going to work for everyone, as a lot of artists like to ensure that ALL parts of the dunny are painted evenly.

IMO, If I ever got a custom that had spots of the original color in the "arm pit area" or elsewhere, I would think that to be sloppy and unprofessional work.
"Help me Obi-Wan Kidboardies, your my only hope."

|PURCHASED FROM / A+ MEMBER LIST|WANT LIST|MY COLLECTION|FOR SALE|

<---ism'10

NixonAgnew

Post by NixonAgnew » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:09 am

honestly, the only thing that has ever worked for me, once the parts stop fitting into their respective sockets, is to take an exacto knife and carefully shave away the inside of the socket... a little at a time until the arm fits. it's actually fairly easy as well, so i really recommend doing that.
i'm waiting for the day that thinking comes back in style.