Munny 101 - Newb Starters Guide

A forum to talk about toy customization, ask for tips, and learn about techniques.
--[Zirca]--

Munny 101 - Newb Starters Guide

Post by --[Zirca]-- » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:05 pm

Hello,

New to the site, new to the Munny scene, really excited to get started. I've drawn up my design and I've done a few forum searches to find all the answers on getting started, but I'm not a 100% clear on everything. If anyone could help/confirm the below info it would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure others will too :D

Getting Started:

1) Prep: Wash munny with soap and water

2) Sanding: Some posts say you should sand, others don't. I have a GID Munny. I plan on painting approx. 80% of it. Should I be sanding the whole thing, none, only painted parts? I plan on doing some detail work on the exposed parts, so it will be tough to sand everything but. Please advise.

3) Priming: Is it necessary for munny? I'm hoping to just spray paint him all black, save the design areas I leave out for GID.

4) Painting: My plan is to use Krylon Fusion for Plastic (Vinyl, PVC, etc). The can says it requires no sanding or priming, but I thought I'd ask the pros.

5) Cutting: From the other posts it looks like an exacto blade is the way to go. I have access to a bandsaw, so I might do that. Not sure if the hairdryer or boiling method is really necessary. Sounds like a personal prefrence thing.

6) Finishing: I'm assuming I can just use a standard clear coat spray for plastics/vinyl? Just want to confirm if that's cool or to stick with the recommended brands on the site.

Order: Since I'm going to be doing a lot of cutting and customization with metal, I'm assuming I should:

1) cut
2) smooth out cut areas (sand down, etc), fit metal pieces
3) tape designs (so GID doesn't get painted on)
4) paint
5) clearcoat
6) Remove tape
7) final assembly of metal pieces to munny
8 ) post pics to show off (assuming it turns out well :p )

Thanks a lot!

LIV3R

Post by LIV3R » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:00 pm

I think the tips on the board are just guidelines. I never was a toy before I start also never sand it. And I only prime it when I use sculpey/clay on it so I can see if my piece came out smooth. And then I mostly sand it but with painting plus adding parts I don't see why you should do the first 3 steps.

zef

Post by zef » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:31 pm

Nice post...thnx for pulling that all together, Zirca. would be nice if something like this were stickied down here, same questions for all beginners.
:)

--[Zirca]--

Post by --[Zirca]-- » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:29 am

zef wrote:Nice post...thnx for pulling that all together, Zirca. would be nice if something like this were stickied down here, same questions for all beginners.
:)

Thanks, I figured it would be helpful and would make things easier.

[ Added: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 11:31 am ]
LIV3R wrote:I think the tips on the board are just guidelines. I never was a toy before I start also never sand it. And I only prime it when I use sculpey/clay on it so I can see if my piece came out smooth. And then I mostly sand it but with painting plus adding parts I don't see why you should do the first 3 steps.

Thank you. This is helpful

Munny's
Pork Chop,Demoed, MDK (Mini-Munny), The Grunt, Pinion,

qwertyuiop

Post by qwertyuiop » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:35 pm

this is a great thread,
all the Q's for a beginner.

i agree with liv3r about sanding but my OCD will always have me washing them down before priming.
never want to see the paint bubble or sweat after puttin in all that work.

--[Zirca]--

Post by --[Zirca]-- » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:39 pm

I'm about to start my second Munny and I'm going to take a stab at using Sculpey. I've read the threads, but I'm confused on one thing.

Do I prime first then Sculpey or Sculpey then prime. I'm thinking it's the latter, but want to confirm. Also, should I sand the sculpey areas for better adhession?

Thanks again!

Munny's

blu

Post by blu » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:36 pm

sculpey first.

smu

Post by smu » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:43 pm

--[Zirca]-- wrote:
Do I prime first then Sculpey or Sculpey then prime. I'm thinking it's the latter, but want to confirm. Also, should I sand the sculpey areas for better adhession?

When i used sculpey i primed first and then wet sanded the entire munny so it was smooth. I applied the sculpey without any further sanding and then baked it. The sculpey stuck solidly to the munny and I didn't prime the sculpey before i painted it. The acrylic paints were fine on unprimed, fired sculpey.

wonkydonk

Post by wonkydonk » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:25 am

i'm a noob too and i'm totaly confused(easly done) i have purchased a DIY dunny and with these is there a need to sand and wash them?? or is the sanding only for already painted vinyls. Also is there a thread with clear step-by-step guide on customsizing and recommending types of paint for vinly. eg brands etc.

thanks for help

ryanaugust

Post by ryanaugust » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:24 am

Always wash a vinyl toy before you paint it.

Here's why:

The process they use to make a vinyl toy includes injecting hot vinyl into a mold and letting it cure. The mold is sprayed with a compound that is very oily to help the figure slip out of the mold easily after it has set up.

This oily compound isn't really washed off at the factory, though through handling and packaging a lot of it is removed from the outside of the figure.

You may not notice trace amounts of this mold release. Paint will not stick to the mold release.

You need to wash the figure in warm water with some dish soap to remove any mold release that may be present.

A lot of problems people have with bubbling paint, paint staying sticky, not drying, etc is because of the mold release.

It takes like 2 seconds to do this. It sure sucks when you spend 10+ hours painting a figure and the paint won't set up because you couldn't spend a couple minutes on this crucial first step.

velezlo1

How deep is the vinyl on a vinyl toy.

Post by velezlo1 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:27 am

I want to etch the design into my munny but this is my first one and i dont know how deep i can get, if i can go deep at all.

--[Zirca]--

Re: How deep is the vinyl on a vinyl toy.

Post by --[Zirca]-- » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:00 pm

velezlo1 wrote:I want to etch the design into my munny but this is my first one and i dont know how deep i can get, if i can go deep at all.

It's not very thick...4mm tops. You can cut into them though quite easily with an exacto. Check out my "Demoed" just below. I did a lot of gouges in that guy. Grunt will show you the depth as well. (see signature).

Munny's

velezlo1

Re: How deep is the vinyl on a vinyl toy.

Post by velezlo1 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:09 pm

--[Zirca]-- wrote:
velezlo1 wrote:I want to etch the design into my munny but this is my first one and i dont know how deep i can get, if i can go deep at all.

It's not very thick...4mm tops. You can cut into them though quite easily with an exacto. Check out my "Demoed" just below. I did a lot of gouges in that guy. Grunt will show you the depth as well. (see signature).

Thanks!!, if i go too deep what could be used as a filler.

another-waver

Post by another-waver » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:33 pm

If you're looking to "etch" it (I assume you don't actually mean using a laser or acid for your etching), you might try using a Dremel or even the tools usually used to do linoleum cuts.

--[Zirca]--

Post by --[Zirca]-- » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:50 am

another-waver wrote:If you're looking to "etch" it (I assume you don't actually mean using a laser or acid for your etching), you might try using a Dremel or even the tools usually used to do linoleum cuts.

good call

Munny's

Number09

Post by Number09 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:51 am

another-waver wrote:If you're looking to "etch" it (I assume you don't actually mean using a laser or acid for your etching), you might try using a Dremel or even the tools usually used to do linoleum cuts.

What kind of bit would you recommend on the Dremmel?

Yumeji

Post by Yumeji » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:30 pm

Like, Zirca, I'm also new to this (my main areas are paper & digital media). Since this thread is already stickied in the FAQ, I might as well add to this one rather than starting a new thread of my own.

I received a black Munny & pink Mini Munny for my birthday the other day, and I'm curious if I need to sand & prime them after washing. I'm asking because I prefer to keep the base colours they came in and it would be a waste of money to re-paint them back after priming.

Would I need to sand & prime only if I plan to use Sculpy, or is it required for any customization?

digitalmunky

Post by digitalmunky » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:18 pm

Cleaning and Sanding... Cleaning is a must... Sanding is a great way to ensure you get better adhesion of whatever medium (polymer clay, epoxy putty, air dry clay, paint, etc) you intend to use. Some customizers/artists would suggest you sand most everything you intend to add anything to and other may hardly ever suggest sanding.

Priming is something that helps create a friendly surface more accepting of paints. It isn't always necessary, but it's necessary more times than not... Unless it interferes with something (like maybe GID or clear), it's probably best to prime when you can.

As for cutting... Some like Xacto, some like scalpels, some like saws, some may even like hatchets. The preference is really up to you. However, Xacto seems to be easily accessible to most people and are very reliable. Plus, Xacto makes a variety of blades and may have style you'd be most happy with. As for hotwater and/or blowdryers... I suggest using a blowdrer or other heating method to aid in EASE of cutting. But, if you want to use a saw, I'd suggest not heating the vinyl. In fact, I'd suggest cooling (put piece into freezer for a few minutes) the vinyl if you intend to saw through it as it would help to stabilize it a bit during cutting.
***Signature goes here***

velezlo1

Post by velezlo1 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:35 am

Which product should i buy?

another-waver

Post by another-waver » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:16 pm

I'd just head on down to Home Depot and check it out... you can pick up a Dremel fairly cheaply (I have the cordless with rechargeable battery pack). I think I paid about $45 or $50 for mine new a couple years back, so I'd look around a bit, as it's listed at $65 now at Home Depot. Home Depot (or somewhere similar) has a great selection of Dremel accessories in store, that would probably be the best place to check all the bits and see what will work best for what you have in mind. Might want to buy a mask too, there will be a lot of very fine vinyl particles in the air (use outdoors when possible).

Linoleum cutting tools would probably be about $10 to $15 for a set of tools at any craft store like Michael's etc. Not as versatile as a Dremel tool, but if you're looking to do some carving, it's certainly another option, and possibly even more precise than the Dremel. All depends what you have in mind. If you go with the linoleum tools, I'd definitely heat your vinyl surfaces before cutting. It should help a lot.

digitalmunky

Post by digitalmunky » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:04 pm

You could also try a linoleum cutting set used by those creating their own woodblock prints... they CAN be relatively inexpensive... Just check slinky Blick or some other art supply (Blick, Pearl, other)...
***Signature goes here***

aka-man

Post by aka-man » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:28 am

hey!! great thread here.. thanks for starting it!!
gonna start my very first Munny so i'm pretty excited! thanks for all the tips already..

one quick question though, what would be the easiest way to prime?? thanks!
rizadette wrote:
aka-man wrote:
rizadette wrote:six steppin' baby airchairin'... bump! lol <3

SICKEST BUMP EVER! you know what it's all about. = ))
props to you.
Cosmic Rizzie. :lol:

You know how I do!! I'm so quoting you on my sig!
<3<3<3<3

Stop by my sales thread~~! ; )))

rjl

Post by rjl » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:57 am

aka-man wrote:hey!! great thread here.. thanks for starting it!!
gonna start my very first Munny so i'm pretty excited! thanks for all the tips already..

one quick question though, what would be the easiest way to prime?? thanks!

I've seen a lot of good words around here re: the gray Rustoleum auto primer. However, for the one I am working on, I just cleaned it, dyed it, dried it, masked it, and started in with Krylon Fusion. Seems to adhere pretty well, and lay down pretty evenly (although I used lots of small, thin, often-mist-like coats).