forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Attaching Claws
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:10 am 

Hi,

I'm new here and to munnys and am hoping someone can help me with my new project.
I've started creating some munny speakers from the instructables guide but want to further customize my munnys. I'd like to attach some small white claws to my black munny's paws and was wondering what the best way to approach this would be..
Firstly, are there any pre-made claws you could recommend that would sit aesthetically well with munny? If not, what would be the best way to fashion some of my own? sculpey?? And in the event that i do create my own claws, how would I attach these to munny?
I've never done anything like this before but was thinking I would have to sculpt them, bake, prime, paint, apply gloss and then attach? Would that be the right order, anything I don't need to do or should do as well and how should I glue? them to munny? I was thinking araldite, or is this OTT? What other adhesives would be better suited?

Anyways, thanks for reading and apologies for any redundant questions.
digiPencil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:41 am 

Use super sculpey to create claws, mold them onto the munny's hands, (Smooth out the sculpey), bake the arms with the super sculpey attached, sand the arms to get rid of any rough spots, prime, paint, then apply the gloss or clear coat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:02 am 

I wouldn't use sculpey for something like claws, it is too difficult to get them sharp and uniform. Rather cut the basic shapes from plastic card or sheet styrene and simple glue them on.

Before you glue them on if you hold them together as tightly as you can, in a vise or clamp would give the best results. Sand them with a fine grit sandpaper to remove any imperfections and make them uniform in shape.

Depending on the shape and size you want them you could use the ends of cocktail sticks for small sharp little points not much preparation involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:25 am 

islipaway wrote:
I wouldn't use sculpey for something like claws, it is too difficult to get them sharp and uniform.

I could not disagree more. As for uniform, use a paper template to cut them out, so they are all the same size and shape. And as for sharp, how sharp do they really need to be? They just need to look sharp! Sculpey would be a fine medium to make the claws out of.

Really, this post is not a flame. I just know that Sculpey is an excellent choice, amazingly easy to work with, and gives very consistent results.

Scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:06 pm 

Well that's up to you, I love sculpey for organic stuff but I find it to be far too much hassle to get good results on things like claws, sword when i know I can get consistently good results using other materials. Guess it's up to each person to find techniques that work best for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:31 pm 

Thanks guys!
I'm totally new to all of this so having a couple of different approaches to consider helps a lot. I've got to say i've totally fallen in love with this entire culture, i've bought myself a couple of 7" munnies and managed to get hold of a tokyoplastic geisha (octopus ver) which i've loved forever and had no idea they even made as a vinyl doll!

Thanks again, the claws should be really quite short and fat (3 on each paw + feet) so i'll try both approaches and see which works best.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]