putting a print on wood and finishing with varnish?

A forum to talk about toy customization, ask for tips, and learn about techniques.
mANNEe

putting a print on wood and finishing with varnish?

Post by mANNEe » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:03 am

So I'm thinking of finding a way to put my Luke chueh "infected" print on wood and giving it a varnish finish. Much like the balloon head and possessed revisited prints on wood from lukes last show @ corpro nason. Has anyone tried and succeeded in doing so with any other print? Hell, ill even pay to have it professionally done, either way, any help would be great!

DX_Psycho

Post by DX_Psycho » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:44 am

i remember reading Kathie saying that varnishing isn't archival and colors will start dying. won't be for a while but it will eventually die.
Good deals with: D-LuX, dieselbouy, kabautista9, Robot Companion, jrox19, Katastrophe, untilshewokeme, cSpooge, AKBAPE, mourningwd, Aussietoyrama, kittycat, SnorseWhisperer, fast1950, sleepboy, gloomyfan, shadowbooth, GooseWonder, mrmonkey, jceballo, illminded1, Fiashly

Bad deals with: kp

mANNEe

Post by mANNEe » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:49 am

Dang, then how did the guys down @ corpro nason get it done :( ah well, I guess a nice framing job will have to do, but if anyone else has any other info I'm all ears!

zOobOy

Post by zOobOy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:21 am

If you do this use an acrylic not a polyurethane. Polys yellow anything white and yellow more with age. Acrylics come in solvent or waterbased, solvent is like Krylon crystal clear, satin or matte finish.

z
Imagination is Everything!!

www.imaginationasylum.com
imaginationasylum@msn.com
rich@imaginationasylum.com
imaginationasylum.wordpress.com

mandywave

Post by mandywave » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:52 am

yeah you coukld aslo use that clear epoxy with catalist that thing rocks

MisKat

Post by MisKat » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:32 am

I'm taking time out of my SDCC schedule to make this very clear because I think a lot of buyers may be a bit mislead on the subject:
1.mounting paper on wood is bad-- wood is very acidic and most mounting products are not reversible
2. varnishing paper isn't good either-- but there are some methods that aren't as bad as others-- this depends on the type of inks you are using (dyes vs. solvents)
All varnish will effect ink clarity and color, and there really is no way of knowing how quickly inks will fade (again, also depends on the type of inks). The only real way to protect paper base prints longterm is to put them under uv glass and even then, it should not be touching the glass

neither mounting nor varnishing is even close to being archival
I would not recommend buying anything mounted on wood if you expect it to last, especially paper.