What to Use For Casting a Rootable Figure Head

A forum to talk about toy customization, ask for tips, and learn about techniques.
Lon

What to Use For Casting a Rootable Figure Head

Post by Lon » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:41 am

Erm, I don't know if this is an okay place to ask this, though there were a few threads on creating toys from scratch and whatnot so I figured I'd ask. If it's a bad place for it, advice on where to ask would be helpful.

Basically, I'm looking for something I can mix together, pour into a custom mold and hand roto-cast to create a hollow figure head, about 3 mm thick and is slightly firm but flexible enough that when I take a needle and sew hair into it, it won't crack. Like a Barbie head.

I recieved sample of Alumilite FLEX but they were sticky. Smooth-Cast 45 seemed like a good bet but when I cut a 3mm piece, the needle created tears that cracked when it was flexed. ](*,)

The resulting pieces have to be paintable with regular acrylics (no silicone), I have to be able to get it sent to Canada and it has to be available in normal hobbiest quantities.

Any ideas?

zOobOy

Hair....

Post by zOobOy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:34 am

Most people I know that do rooted hair use a silicone head cast. But smooth-on may have some new product that I don't know of.

z

[ Added: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:28 am ]
I forgot to add....I've seen plastics that are like rubber and castable. Check smooth-on and see. I can't remember where I saw them.

z

Imagination is Everything!!

www.imaginationasylum.com
imaginationasylum@msn.com
rich@imaginationasylum.com
imaginationasylum.wordpress.com

Lon

Post by Lon » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:07 am

Smooth-Cast 45D is their most flexible semi-rigid plastic right now. I'm thinking of calling and asking if the So Flex Flexibilzer would help get it to the right flexibility, non-crackiness.

Hmm, I hadn't even thought of the rubber-like formulas. It's an idea, something I could ask about. I worry, though, that they might come out sticky or not be paintable with acrylics. I wish I could find people who had already tried doing this stuff. :-k

zOobOy

Smooth On...

Post by zOobOy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:18 am

I wish I could give you a better answer, but I've only worked with 321, 305, 326, so I am not a big help.

z

Imagination is Everything!!

www.imaginationasylum.com
imaginationasylum@msn.com
rich@imaginationasylum.com
imaginationasylum.wordpress.com

Lon

Post by Lon » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:17 am

I called Smooth-on up again today and asked them some questions. Aparently the So-Flex would just make it weaker. They said that, apart from silicone (Dragon skin was suggested), no 2 part RTV material is going to do it. Argh.

Thanks , zOobOy. It's sounding, though, like the reason nobody knows of something that would work is that it simply just doesn't exist (yet?). :neutral: The only way I might be able to get my heads made is probably to pay a company to cast them out of vinyl which is totally too expensive. Heck, if I was nervous about making back $400 worth of casting supplies.... :doubt: