forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sculpting help
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:37 pm 

So I started sculpting on my first munny today, trying to do something simple to see how it went. I wanted to do hair, give it some texture you know? I started using DAS Modelling Material simply because I had some left over from another project. I sanded down the munny after washing it to help the clay stick but it didn't at all. Maybe I was being impatient but one smooth down would place it on and if I went over it again it would simply slide off. Am I using the wrong clay? I live in the UK so we don't have sculpey..should I look out for something else? Please help, I really want my first munny to be well done and although I could just paint it, I was hoping to do something more.

~Pansy Buddy

Last edited by pansybuddy on Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:34 am 

Can't you get some sculpey online?

Good Trades - Stereopanda

Awesome Boardies - Yardarm51

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:03 am 

Yes, you can get it at http://www.tiranti.co.uk/ or you can try ebay or google.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:15 am 

Is Sculpey the best thing to use then? I have a hobbycraft close to me and they have none which kinda sucks. I'll try and look online for it, thanks for the link!

Did I do something wrong however when trying to use the clay? If I made a big mistake could someone tell me? I've used clay before, being an art student, but I have never used it in a situation like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:04 am 

Sculpey does seem to be the most popular clay. If you search this forum you will find a lot of advice on using it with vinyl toys.

I don't do customs so I can't say what your doing wrong. I guess you could try wetting the DAS to make it softer but it could just slide off quicker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:57 am 

You can get Super Sculpey in the UK, best bet is ebay though. I guess that clay you used just doesn't like to stick to vinyl, sculpey sticks straight on there, and not had any problem with milliput or green stuff either, even without keying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:10 pm 

just google it with pages in the UK it's expensive as i've bought soem for around £11 before.

Found an art shop in Swindon that sells it for £9.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:15 am 

Thanks for everyone's help. I brought the some Super Sculpey online and got it a few days ago. It works so well! I just need to heat it now then paint my munny and I'll have pics up.

Pansy Buddy
xoxo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:12 pm 

Good info, I need to get some myself and noticed hobby craft didnt stock it... least I know what to use now!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]