forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 3:27 pm


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:16 am
Posts: 904
Location: MPLS
I've begun customizing my Dunnys, and my process so far has been priming with Rustoleum Plastic Primer, putting down a base color with Montana Gold, and then painting with Sharpie Poster Paint pens.

Most of the time when painting with the pens, the surface has good "tooth", i.e. the surface is sticky enough so it draws well, but sometimes the surface is slippery, making it hard to put down a line. Does anyone have this problem with Montana Gold?

_________________
newera84 wrote:
stay far away from this hobby.. unless you really like top ramen


Sold to: qwest1mark, hova0023, wacko, DAT_CAT, pigwinner, bigbade, o_kedoki, Ziggy Smallz, at321fakest, ultra999, Razzberii, dinosaur, pinguino, kom22, subpop2000, Dodecahedron, Peter_Awesome, stormtr00per, bloodline, elecam, mrssna, dieselbuoy, yomi, laconciencia, katbrunnegraff
Bought from: DreVanFuzen, wacko, Meary, coasterbear, vinylwhanker
Traded with: ninwest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:45 pm
Posts: 1726
Location: Jax Beach
I used Montana Gold on a Munny, and it looked great at first, then when I handled it the texture was like powder. It would come all of the way off, just my smudging with my finger. Not sure if it was just my can, but it was NOT what I expected at all. I ended up having to strip it and repaint with acrylic.

_________________
+

My Display | My Twitter | My Website | My Sales Thread

Great B/S/T:

kingBOSTON, batelray, MrMongoose, dsristau (x2), Autodactyl, djmerge1, RichL, earthglass, contra808, DOOBS01s GF, The Octopus, Metatron1050, meanmistert, shesmarvel0us, G3NR8, sym408, yup, Gazpacho, Lil J NYC, saiko, money1645, hashishan, idlechimp, dunquixote, eckotyper, motorbot (x2), dunnydave, jmf337, PJPVIV, gallery101, tyleR, BHKidRobotNYC, Moloko Plus, quentdiggy, aruss, Rmanintheny, midnight26man, Dan-knee rock, NYC.Parce, GenuineArtikle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:04 pm
Posts: 807
Location: Chicago,outskirts
Try using a brush on primer by Glidden called GRIPPER. It is available in white and grey. This primer sticks to anything!

The Montana Gold is amazing stuff, however, it is supposed to be a matte finish and some colors do have a slight sheen.

_________________
My stoopid drawings- http://www.itskindadark.com
'Space- http://www.myspace.com/itskindadark
http://www.artchitecturegallery.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:16 am
Posts: 904
Location: MPLS
itskindadark wrote:
Try using a brush on primer by Glidden called GRIPPER. It is available in white and grey. This primer sticks to anything!

The Montana Gold is amazing stuff, however, it is supposed to be a matte finish and some colors do have a slight sheen.


Where can I get this Gripper stuff? So I take it it's good to use with Dunny and Munny, and works well in combination with Montana Gold? As in, the Montana won't be slippery at all to paint on?

_________________
newera84 wrote:
stay far away from this hobby.. unless you really like top ramen


Sold to: qwest1mark, hova0023, wacko, DAT_CAT, pigwinner, bigbade, o_kedoki, Ziggy Smallz, at321fakest, ultra999, Razzberii, dinosaur, pinguino, kom22, subpop2000, Dodecahedron, Peter_Awesome, stormtr00per, bloodline, elecam, mrssna, dieselbuoy, yomi, laconciencia, katbrunnegraff
Bought from: DreVanFuzen, wacko, Meary, coasterbear, vinylwhanker
Traded with: ninwest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:04 pm
Posts: 807
Location: Chicago,outskirts
robotsonic wrote:
itskindadark wrote:
Try using a brush on primer by Glidden called GRIPPER. It is available in white and grey. This primer sticks to anything!

The Montana Gold is amazing stuff, however, it is supposed to be a matte finish and some colors do have a slight sheen.


Where can I get this Gripper stuff? So I take it it's good to use with Dunny and Munny, and works well in combination with Montana Gold? As in, the Montana won't be slippery at all to paint on?


Any Home Depot carries the Gripper. You can use it on the Munny or Dunny and it will adhere fine and any paint will stick to it. The primer will not make the Montana Gold "un-slippery". If you don't like the dried finish of Montana Gold, there is not a primer that will change that. I hope this helps.

_________________
My stoopid drawings- http://www.itskindadark.com
'Space- http://www.myspace.com/itskindadark
http://www.artchitecturegallery.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group