forum home kr home

Kidrobot Discussion Boards

Welcome to the best place on the web to talk about urban vinyl toys, plush, mini-figures, toy-art, toy artists, collecting, customs, & more!

It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:11 pm 

I have a munny that I used Sharpie Water based paint markers on, and sprayed on some Krylon clear coat and now it's sticky (hate Krylon). Is there ANY WAY to remove the sticky coat? I tried respraying it w/ some other spray on varnish, and it doesn't work.

Please help!!!! Thanks!!! [-o<

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:24 pm 

i've heard of recoating it with paint-on type sealers but not sure how it will come out.

I recently had a mini munny get the sticky treatment from krylon.
i could scrape it off with my fingernails to some extent, but that also took off some of the paint below.

i ended up goof-off'ing the whole thing and starting from scratch.

unfortunately, that was the only choice for me.

Krylon is very sensitive to humidity.
when you spray it, make sure it's a warm/dry day and hasn't rained recently...and if you live in the souf, find an alternative.
it is more likely to get sticky when the humidity is high.

trade me your USED Vandals for my NEW ones.
feel free to bump as well. TIA.
<><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:55 pm 

i have tried sealing with regular varnish (the kind i use on paintings)... and it looks great.. but a few months pass and it gets sticky...

i found another kind that is made by the same co that makes the paint i use... and that seems to work so far. i have a few pieces i did over a year ago and it is still alright... i still worry because i have heard about this happening and the delayed effectness of it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:16 am 

I am beginning to think there is no clear coat that works well w/ customs; they may appear to be fine in the beginning, but then later on, becomes sticky anyway!!! ](*,)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:45 am 

this sux ive had it happen too many times somebody a while back told me to use brush on clear coat only and its worked 100% so far no stickiness yet,krylon clear coats have acetone in em to make them dry faster #-o i lived in Vegas where its 1% humidity almost always and itd still get sticky... ive used the brush on stuff after a custom got sticky and it reduced the stickiness 90% but had a weird reaction after a few days so basically to answer yur question the only way i know how GOOF OFF the whole thing and start over :doubt: :doubt: :doubt:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:12 am 

bilbetsovic wrote:
to answer yur question the only way i know how GOOF OFF the whole thing and start over :doubt: :doubt: :doubt:

#-o ](*,) :evil: :doubt:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:12 am 

... all of my first customs were coated with "Lascaux" clear coat. at $25 a pop, i figured it was the bomb... but it was sticky as hell.

i tried Liquitex clear coat, and it's been nothing less than amazing...although i'm not sure if it's made it through the nyc summer yet. [-o<

but everything i'm commissioned for gets a coat of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:14 pm 

I use Games Workshop spray on satin varnish (called purity seal) It's designed to be used on models so no stickyness. I don't think it'd work over marker though. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:50 pm 

You might try some paint thinner to remove it or turpentine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:31 am 

Dont go tryin to remove it unless you feel like painting again. I have two possibilities for you.

First off clear coating is the worst part of this medium so many different things can happen it sucks. I have had the same problem many times over.

now

Option #1 (thanks to AZK)
Bulldog Adhesion Promoter.
Spray it right over the clear coat, when it dries it should be fine. It will negate the tackiness by locking down whatever is underneath it. You can buy it at any automotive paint store or online.

You can then clear coat krylon over the top again after that or even just leave the bulldog if you feel like it.

Option #2(thanks to MArka27)
Galkyd
GAlkyd is a oil paint medium or varnish, when it dries its freaking glossy as hell and looks fantastic, this stuff is brushed on. You can either go right over the sticky coat with this also, or use the bulldog first then coat with galkyd on top of that. (combo = extra points)

The fumes from this crap are extra potent, so be in a well ventilated area, and use a mask. Or get someone else to do it....lol that goes for both methods.

Hope that helps bro.

Peace,
Jesse

Holla at me!
Flickr Account

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:59 pm 

Good lookin' out Jesse, these are very valuable tips! :rock: I'm gonna try them out!!! Thanks bro!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:48 pm 

AW177 wrote:
I am beginning to think there is no clear coat that works well w/ customs; they may appear to be fine in the beginning, but then later on, becomes sticky anyway!!! ](*,)

Maybe I've just had good luck (knock on wood) but I've been using Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear on pretty much every toy I've ever painted and haven't had a serious sticky problem. Maybe I lay down so many coats of primer and paint that the clear coat really absorbs into the finish well- who knows...

Great thread though- It's good to hear what other folks are successfully and unsuccessfully using.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:14 am 

yea same here, ive been using the krylon crystal clear acrylic spray and have yet to have a problem with it, definately something to keep in mind for the future

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:16 am 

Very good tips for clearning sticky coats, bump to the top! :rock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:45 pm 

monsterdecay wrote:
yea same here, ive been using the krylon crystal clear acrylic spray and have yet to have a problem with it, definately something to keep in mind for the future

reactor88 wrote:

Maybe I've just had good luck (knock on wood) but I've been using Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear on pretty much every toy I've ever painted and haven't had a serious sticky problem. Maybe I lay down so many coats of primer and paint that the clear coat really absorbs into the finish well- who knows...

Great thread though- It's good to hear what other folks are successfully and unsuccessfully using.

maybe the primer you two use is helping the the krylon stuff to not become sticky...so let us know what primers you use hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:10 pm 

i use any rustoleum plastic primer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:23 am 

mini info wrote:
maybe the primer you two use is helping the the krylon stuff to not become sticky...so let us know what primers you use hehe

I've used Rustoleum and I think Valspar or something like that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:12 am 

oh well if you use rustoleum plastic primer and krylon clear coat and you dont get a sticky finish then you are doing something correct because the combination seems to be the most popular one to get a sticky finish (thats why i dont use either of those anymore hehe) i use gesso and a brush on varnish and havnt had a problem like i did with the plastic primer and the clear coat...except the plastic primer and clear coats work good on plastic customs ofcourse just not vinyl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:23 pm 

mini info wrote:
oh well if you use rustoleum plastic primer and krylon clear coat and you dont get a sticky finish then you are doing something correct because the combination seems to be the most popular one to get a sticky finish (thats why i dont use either of those anymore hehe) i use gesso and a brush on varnish and havnt had a problem like i did with the plastic primer and the clear coat...except the plastic primer and clear coats work good on plastic customs ofcourse just not vinyl.

I've never used the specific plastic primer, so maybe that's something? I just use the good 'ol all-purpose stuff...

I just got home and looked at my primer- I've been using is American Tradition (by Valspar) Interior/Exterior Ultra Enamel White Premium Multi-Purpose primer.

Post subject: sticky munny
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:09 am 

I USED CLEAR COAT SPAY AND IT TURNED OUT BETTER ON SOME THAN OTHERS I GOT 7 CUSTOM MUNNYS

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]