Pinstripes

A forum to talk about toy customization, ask for tips, and learn about techniques.
shaggenstein

Pinstripes

Post by shaggenstein » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:27 pm

I was looking for some super thin tape for making some fine lines on a minny munny. The local auto store was the only place I could find anything close, but it isn't tape, but pinstriping. Has anyone tried using these for masking off fine lines, and will it stick too strongly and ruin the paint underneath of it?

rjl

Post by rjl » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:48 pm

I've seen a lot of people around here speak highly of the Tamiya masking tape. You can find it at hobby stores (which can be hard to find, I know). I recently found one, and picked up a roll of the 6mm wide tape, but haven't used it yet.

I have been having okay luck with the med/low tack 3-m blue painter's tape (the middle cardboard ring is orange), but it's not perfect... Or I'm not!

TaoKata

Post by TaoKata » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:03 pm

rjl wrote:I've seen a lot of people around here speak highly of the Tamiya masking tape. You can find it at hobby stores (which can be hard to find, I know). I recently found one, and picked up a roll of the 6mm wide tape, but haven't used it yet.

I have been having okay luck with the med/low tack 3-m blue painter's tape (the middle cardboard ring is orange), but it's not perfect... Or I'm not!

the Tamiya tape is great... but doesn't come thin enough for some pin striping needs, I've been thinking about trying to slice a whole roll in half so I have two thin rolls.
"You don't know what love is, you just do what you're told..."

shaggenstein

Post by shaggenstein » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:36 pm

thanks for the info guys. I was looking to grab some 1/16 tape, but had to settle with 1/8. I guess I'll try it out on the foot first to see how adhesive it it.

Rotoreject

Post by Rotoreject » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:02 pm

You might be able to find 3mm masking tape and slinky Blick online. I bought a roll at there retail store outside if Philly. I usualy just lay a strip of regualr masking tape on the table, and cut thin strips with a metal ruler and razor blade.

shaggenstein

Post by shaggenstein » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:06 pm

I left the 1/8 pinstripes stuck to the munny foot over night, and it peeled off easily with no paint attached, so it seems like these rolls will work.