Some Krylon Fusion Questions

A forum to talk about toy customization, ask for tips, and learn about techniques.
rjl

Some Krylon Fusion Questions

Post by rjl » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:00 pm

Yes, another noob, registering because he has a noob question. :)

(In my defense I've been doing a ton of lurking/searching.)

Anyhow, just a few questions for those familiar w/Krylon Fusion:

a. How well does Krylon Fusion sand? I have a bit of a blemish and would like to even out the surface and re-spray if possible.

b. Failing that, will thinner, or anything, remove it? I understand that Fusion bonds with plastic (at least it claims to), but the problem isn't on the first couple of layers,, so I figure that I might have a chance there.

c. Any rec's for paint markers that paint well *over* Fusion?

d. Lastly, how well do other sprays (or even primers, as it's the best flat grey I could find) work over Fusion?

(edit: new q):

e. Any experience / luck / mis-haps / tips with applying KF w/ a brush, for touch-ups + fine detail?

That said, I'm in the middle of making my first, which has been quite the learning experience. Mostly positive. However, after a few mis-steps (mainly poor impulse control couple w/lack of knowledge), I figure it wouldn't hurt to get others' experiences before I take my next step.

Any/all insight appreciated -- and thanks for all of the posts here. I managed to soak up a lot of advice, really fast...

gen0365

Re: Some Krylon Fusion Questions

Post by gen0365 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:30 pm

rjl wrote:Yes, another noob, registering because he has a noob question. :)

(In my defense I've been doing a ton of lurking/searching.)

Anyhow, just a few questions for those familiar w/Krylon Fusion:

a. How well does Krylon Fusion sand? I have a bit of a blemish and would like to even out the surface and re-spray if possible.
NOT GOOD FROM MY EXPERIENCE

b. Failing that, will thinner, or anything, remove it? I understand that Fusion bonds with plastic (at least it claims to), but the problem isn't on the first couple of layers,, so I figure that I might have a chance there. Dunno, I'm really really careful

c. Any rec's for paint markers that paint well *over* Fusion? I like Sharpie PAINTS pens

d. Lastly, how well do other sprays (or even primers, as it's the best flat grey I could find) work over Fusion?
pretty good, but only spray a light coat everyday, then after the final coat, leave it somewherer and let it dry for 3 days b4 touching it.

(edit: new q):

e. Any experience / luck / mis-haps / tips with applying KF w/ a brush, for touch-ups + fine detail? I mainly use sprays for big areas. Detail are more pens and paintbrushes

That said, I'm in the middle of making my first, which has been quite the learning experience. Mostly positive. However, after a few mis-steps (mainly poor impulse control couple w/lack of knowledge), I figure it wouldn't hurt to get others' experiences before I take my next step.

Any/all insight appreciated -- and thanks for all of the posts here. I managed to soak up a lot of advice, really fast...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WoW, question overload. Ill try to answer with any knowledge I have. Okay I first wash the munny with soap and water then I use a Krylon gray primer on it, do coats on it, while spraying do a quick side to side motion (stay in one spot and it'll muck up). Then I just repeat the process with any spray colors I want. IMO Fusion sucks because I work with clay and it doesn't bond, it becomes runny. IMO, the regular Krylon works best. Lastly I either use KRYLON Crystal Clear Glaze (becomes shiny kinda more toyish) or the Matte coat (more RAW looking). Depending on the effect I want. :tonqe:
FOR SALE:
-----------------------------------------------------

Good KR Trades
tunneler66 / PhatBastard / Gothamite80
-------------------------------------------------------

http://www.myspace.com/gen0c1de

rjl

Re: Some Krylon Fusion Questions

Post by rjl » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:05 am

gen0365 wrote:WoW, question overload. Ill try to answer with any knowledge I have.

Thanks for the answers!

The Fusion was working okay w/o primer, after cleaning/drying and a few rounds of dyeing/drying.

Where I got snagged was on the design I was stenciling (2-color). I did things in probably the wrong order, and ended up with a few thin bare spots. Ended up trying to fill in those spots w/paint, and smooth them out, and ended up with some unevenness.

And you're right - Fusion doesn't sand too well. Paper did little, and whipping out the dremel was a mistake. :)

However, I did find a neat sand-able 2-part epoxy/filler that should be fully cured by tonight, which should even things out after some sanding.

Should it work, I'll prob. post the results as a separate thread, in the event that someone else needs to recover from the same kinda painting/sanding screw-up.